Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Colormunki and iMac and Canon Pixma 9000 Mk II calibration

bigkidneys
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Colormunki and iMac and Canon Pixma 9000 Mk II calibration

Doing some research on here but haven't pinpointed what I need to know. Just tried to calibrate my IMac 27 and canon Pixma 9000mk II yesterday. I prefer to print from LR or Aperture so not sure if that matters but am aging difficulty getting my prints to match my screen. My monitor came out much darker than it was initially and of course I had to reprocess most of my pics I wanted to print I assume because my monitor was so off. Is it normal for the screen to be so dark after calibration? I normally PP in my bedroom with lights out and run Lion on my IMac. After jumping into this whole calibration bit and buying a printer I am seeing that there is much more to this than what I thought and am pretty much lost. For instance, where exactly do I go to turn color management to off on the printer settings? I have been through the menu under printer many times and do not see one. So damn confused trying to set it up. Any help would be much appreciated!

Dec 24, 2011 at 03:44 PM
ProImages

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Colormunki and iMac and Canon Pixma 9000 Mk II calibration

I own the ColorMunki and use it on a Mac Pro with Lion and an Epson 3800. I print from Lightroom3 and Photoshop CS5. Everything matches.
1. The latest version of X-Rite software is 1.1.1
2. Use the Advanced method.
3. check = Set luminance level of my display based on my current ambient light conditions.
4. Control your room lighting, you don't need to be in the dark. You can have lights on with blinds closed. Just use the the same lighting every time.
Give me more details of how you're using it.

Dec 24, 2011 at 05:06 PM
ProImages

p.1 #3 · Colormunki and iMac and Canon Pixma 9000 Mk II calibration

You can watch this one hour Webinar by X-Rite
HERE

Dec 24, 2011 at 05:12 PM
bigkidneys
• • •
p.1 #4 · Colormunki and iMac and Canon Pixma 9000 Mk II calibration

Will have to check if I have the latest software version. I prefer to work in a darker setting but even if I don't the way my desk is situated there is very little light. So set the luminance display after I calibrate the monitor? I noticed after I calibrated it and tried to increase the brightness it didn't give me much to increase the brightness but topped out (which it is at the moment) it's not too bad.

Dec 24, 2011 at 07:29 PM
ProImages

p.1 #5 · Colormunki and iMac and Canon Pixma 9000 Mk II calibration

bigkidneys wrote:
Will have to check if I have the latest software version. I prefer to work in a darker setting but even if I don't the way my desk is situated there is very little light. So set the luminance display after I calibrate the monitor? I noticed after I calibrated it and tried to increase the brightness it didn't give me much to increase the brightness but topped out (which it is at the moment) it's not too bad.

Set the lighting and window blinds the way to have them when you edit. Make sure the monitor has been turned on for at least fifteen minutes. Then start ColorMunki. Do not adjust your monitor after you have profiled it.

Dec 24, 2011 at 08:09 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Colormunki and iMac and Canon Pixma 9000 Mk II calibration

You're not quite getting it. The luminance is part and parcel of the calibration. The moment you 'tried to increase the brightness', you invalidated the calibration profile that was created.

The purpose of the entire profile & calibration dance is to make your display match the print when the print is viewed under the same conditions it will normally be viewed (ie. if you're going to hang it in your living room, then the brightness of the living room should dictate how bright the work area is that you 'compare' the print to the computer monitor. You can either increase/decrease the luminance of the display or increase/decrease the lighting level in your living room.

So you set the target luminance in the calibration software before the calibration starts and then you do not touch/modify anything after the calibration is complete.

Dec 24, 2011 at 08:15 PM
ProImages

p.1 #7 · Colormunki and iMac and Canon Pixma 9000 Mk II calibration

Yes, like Howard said, once you get the monitor profiled, do not adjust anything on the monitor. Also, maintain the same lighting levels in the room as when you profiled.
Have you tried paper profiles yet?

Dec 24, 2011 at 09:11 PM
bigkidneys
• • •
p.1 #8 · Colormunki and iMac and Canon Pixma 9000 Mk II calibration

I downloaded an Ilford Smooth Pearl A3+ profile and it seemed to work ok but that was before I calibrated my monist and printer. About to download the 8.5x11.5 Ilford Smooth Pearl profile as well and see how that goes. Just so damn confused with all this profile stuff and can't seem to find how to turn off the color management in the printer. AFAIK, it may be off, just can't seem to find the tab in printer settings where it says it...

Dec 25, 2011 at 12:50 AM
bigkidneys
• • •
p.1 #9 · Colormunki and iMac and Canon Pixma 9000 Mk II calibration

BTW, I recalibrated my monitor and it is back to the way it was. Much darker than normal. What I am wondering is when I upload all my new pics, it seems like I will have to increase brightness in almost all of them just to get them to where they would normally before the calibration. Is that normal? I took some pictures today and when I uploaded them just now they came out pretty dark considering is what pretty bright outside. I guess maybe I am sweating this too much and just need to give my eyes some time to adjust to the new settings as I have been used to the extremely bright monitor since I purchased it 2 years ago.

Dec 25, 2011 at 12:57 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

ProImages

p.1 #10 · Colormunki and iMac and Canon Pixma 9000 Mk II calibration

The iMac is brighter than a normal monitor so that stands to figure.
Do you have a ColorMunki Photo? If not which model?

Dec 25, 2011 at 02:35 AM
bigkidneys
• • •
p.1 #11 · Colormunki and iMac and Canon Pixma 9000 Mk II calibration

I have the colormunki photo. I redid the monitor in advanced mode and guess I will just need to get used to a monitor not as bright. Now the confusion comes with the Printer. Having looked over a few youtube videos and searches on profiling my model printer, I just can't seem to find how to turn off the color management on it. The only window that remotely has anything to do with color management will not allow me to select anything as colorsync is already selected and already greyed out leaving me no choice. I think my next step will be to call Xrite next week and have someone walk me through it.

Dec 25, 2011 at 03:24 AM
ProImages

p.1 #12 · Colormunki and iMac and Canon Pixma 9000 Mk II calibration

Did you watch the Webinar?

Dec 25, 2011 at 04:37 AM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #13 · Colormunki and iMac and Canon Pixma 9000 Mk II calibration

On the Mac, when you all up the printer driver, in the middle is a pulldown menu for things like Layout, Color Matching, etc. One of them is Printer Settings, it is there that there should be a line item w/ pulldown for Color: and one of them should be No Management.

Dec 25, 2011 at 05:00 AM
bigkidneys
• • •
p.1 #14 · Colormunki and iMac and Canon Pixma 9000 Mk II calibration

I just watched the webinar and it helped tremendously! I am no longer worried about printing in PS5. I really like the soft proofing with it but haven't printed yet since correcting my settings as I ran out of Photo Cyan ink and being Christmas Eve, will have to wait until Monday. Will post back how things go. Thanks again guys for all the help and hope you have a Merry Christmas!

Dec 25, 2011 at 05:24 AM
ProImages

p.1 #15 · Colormunki and iMac and Canon Pixma 9000 Mk II calibration

Hopefully our print drivers look similar but I'm not sure since I have a different printer than you.
Here's how I print in Photoshop CS5. I usually test print on 4x6 paper to save ink.
1. Crop to the print size, if you're printing 4x6 or another 2:3 ratio there's no need to crop
2. File > Print > select the printer
3. Print Settings > Preset, leave this at default. After you have it honed in, save the settings as a Preset for future use.
4. Select paper size
5. under that is a drop down menu > Print Settings > select the Basic tab
6. choose the media type
7. Print Mode = AccuPhoto HD > 16 bit output = check
8. Color Mode = OFF (no color management)
9. Output REsolution = 1440 dpi
10. Save
11. Now you are back to the Print menu, the following is on the right hand side
12. Color Management > check = document
13. Color Handling = Photoshop Manages Color
14. Printer Profile = select the profile for your paper. This can be one you downloaded or created using the ColorMunki
15. Render Intent = Relative Colorimetric, Use this most of the time, Perceptual can give a slightly light print.
16. Black Point Compensation = Check
17. Print
18. Merry Christmas

Dec 25, 2011 at 01:11 PM
bigkidneys
• • •
p.1 #16 · Colormunki and iMac and Canon Pixma 9000 Mk II calibration

Looks good. I think my menus is slightly different for the printer. I think I may have it now. Is there a standard dpi for all photos? I think I was using 300 dpi for my 8x10s in Lightroom. Haven't looked to see what the setting is in PS5 though. Off to get a Photo Cyan ink cartridge today so I can test it out. Thanks again for the help!

Jason

Dec 25, 2011 at 05:13 PM
ProImages

p.1 #17 · Colormunki and iMac and Canon Pixma 9000 Mk II calibration

For the Epson 3800 I read somewhere that 360 pip is the minimum so I use that. 300 sounds good too. Of course that's a minimum.

Dec 25, 2011 at 07:48 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password