Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Laptop monitor calibration ??

oldrattler
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Laptop monitor calibration ??

I will be traveling extensively during 2012 and will need to post images to my photo blog and Website.. Can you calibrate the monitor same as your workstation monitor?? Wouldn't ambient light change color perception on screen (angle of monitor to eye) ?? Thank you, and Merry Christmas..

Dec 24, 2011 at 02:21 PM
BobCollette
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Laptop monitor calibration ??

While laptop screens can be calibrated, most screens are horrible for viewing angle, particularly the vertical viewing angle (angle of screen tilt). If your laptop screen exhibits a large gamma shift as you change the vertical viewing angle, it's practically impossible to guarantee that you always view the screen from the same angle (not nearly as much of a problem with a desktop monitor). In many cases, the viewing angle changes the appearance more than does the calibration (calibrated versus uncalibrated). So, while you can calibrate a laptop screen, don't count on it looking like your workstation monitor unless you have a high-end laptop with an IPS screen.

Dec 24, 2011 at 02:31 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Laptop monitor calibration ??

BobCollette wrote:
While laptop screens can be calibrated, most screens are horrible for viewing angle, particularly the vertical viewing angle (angle of screen tilt). If your laptop screen exhibits a large gamma shift as you change the vertical viewing angle, it's practically impossible to guarantee that you always view the screen from the same angle (not nearly as much of a problem with a desktop monitor). In many cases, the viewing angle changes the appearance more than does the calibration (calibrated versus uncalibrated). So, while you can calibrate a laptop screen, don't count on it looking like your workstation monitor unless you
...Show more

Thanks Bob.. I never heard of an "IPS" until now.. Do you happen to know of manufactures that use this technology?? Thanks, Jim

Dec 24, 2011 at 03:09 PM
BobCollette
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Laptop monitor calibration ??

Jim, IPS stands for In Plane Switching. Most consumer monitors and laptop displays use TN panels. You can read more about the different technologies here: http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/383529/+0#entry9592321

Unfortunately, it's very difficult to find information on the panels used, particularly laptop displays. I recall reading that Dell has a high-end laptop that uses an IPS panel and HP has a laptop with an IPS panel (DreamColor if I recall correctly).

Bob

Dec 24, 2011 at 04:52 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Laptop monitor calibration ??

BobCollette wrote:
Jim, IPS stands for In Plane Switching. Most consumer monitors and laptop displays use TN panels. You can read more about the different technologies here: http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/383529/+0#entry9592321

Unfortunately, it's very difficult to find information on the panels used, particularly laptop displays. I recall reading that Dell has a high-end laptop that uses an IPS panel and HP has a laptop with an IPS panel (DreamColor if I recall correctly).

Bob

Thank you.. You have been very helpful.. God bless and Merry Christmas

Dec 24, 2011 at 06:01 PM
Keith B.
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Laptop monitor calibration ??

I did the XRite/color munki calibration on my MacbookPro laptops, and when it was all done both screens looked identical to the factory setting it came with.

Dec 24, 2011 at 06:08 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Laptop monitor calibration ??

Keith B. wrote:
I did the XRite/color munki calibration on my MacbookPro laptops, and when it was all done both screens looked identical to the factory setting it came with.

Keith; My wife has been hounding me to buy a MacBook pro but everything I own (LR3; CS5; etc.) is not compatible.. Thank you.

Dec 24, 2011 at 07:51 PM
ProImages

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Laptop monitor calibration ??

If you maintain the same lighting conditions and viewing angle for the laptop, the profile should work well.
Of course when traveling this is almost impossible.

Dec 24, 2011 at 08:13 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Laptop monitor calibration ??

ProImages wrote:
If you maintain the same lighting conditions and viewing angle for the laptop, the profile should work well.
Of course when traveling this is almost impossible.

I suppose I will have to try your suggestion as I really do not have many options.. Thank you

Dec 24, 2011 at 08:44 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Laptop monitor calibration ??

just as an FYI, you can swap LR3 for free and CS5 for around $25 if you did decide to go w/ a Mac.

Dec 24, 2011 at 08:55 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Laptop monitor calibration ??

howardm4 wrote:
just as an FYI, you can swap LR3 for free and CS5 for around $25 if you did decide to go w/ a Mac.

WoW.. Thank you, I did not know that... Jim

Dec 24, 2011 at 10:24 PM
TrojanHorse
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Laptop monitor calibration ??

Are you traveling via car or by plane? (ie are you baggage constrained?)

You can always bring an external monitor if you're in a car or camper. They're not that big.

If not, well.... calibrate your laptop monitor and do the best you can. The color police will understand.

Dec 24, 2011 at 10:33 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Laptop monitor calibration ??

TrojanHorse wrote:
Are you traveling via car or by plane? (ie are you baggage constrained?)

You can always bring an external monitor if you're in a car or camper. They're not that big.

If not, well.... calibrate your laptop monitor and do the best you can. The color police will understand.

We will be traveling by car & camping.. I want to bring my desktop but have trouble finding room.. We have talked about a trailer so that could be a strong probability.. Thank you, Jim

Dec 25, 2011 at 04:06 AM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Laptop monitor calibration ??

Cheaper/nastier laptop screens have a poor colour gamut so that even if you do calibrate and profile them you won't get the tonal range that you might expect.

You might have trouble profiling the screen if you use an old technology colorimeter. The x-rte i1 display pro is relatively new and is said to do a significantly better job than most others with all of the screen technologies. The new colorMunki is much the same but is slower and cheaper. The older colormunkis were quite different.

In terms of usage, I would think a profiled and calibrated laptop is beneficial and serviceable but I would not be culling my photos based on critical colour results until after I had seen them on my up-market desktop monitor.

Keep in mind too that it is far more likely that the environment in which you use your laptop is likely to be more variable than at the office or at home, and so you will be more likely to fiddle with the screen brightness. That's necessary but it invalidates the accuracy of the profile unless you set up multiple profiles for the different brightness settings. This is another good reason to not delete photos until after you get back to the better desktop monitor.

- Alan

Dec 27, 2011 at 02:46 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Laptop monitor calibration ??

Alan321 wrote:
Cheaper/nastier laptop screens have a poor colour gamut so that even if you do calibrate and profile them you won't get the tonal range that you might expect.

You might have trouble profiling the screen if you use an old technology colorimeter. The x-rte i1 display pro is relatively new and is said to do a significantly better job than most others with all of the screen technologies. The new colorMunki is much the same but is slower and cheaper. The older colormunkis were quite different.

In terms of usage, I would think a profiled and calibrated laptop is beneficial and serviceable
...Show more

Alan, Thank you.. I agree with everything you have said.. I currently use the Spyder3 Pro. but will be switching to the Colormunki, or i1.. I have found that HP makes 2 models with IPS technology, but they are expensive.. Now we are looking into buying a trailer and taking my desktop.. Only time will tell.. Thank you, Jim

Dec 27, 2011 at 04:19 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password