Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2011 · Canon 7D recommendations

Hrow
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Canon 7D recommendations

Andrew,

I'm not sure I follow, why does noise improve by dropping to M-RAW? The number of pixels may be less but the size of pixels remains the same.

Jan 04, 2012 at 02:52 AM
Andrew J
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Canon 7D recommendations

I believe it's the down rez from 18MP to 10MP.

Jan 04, 2012 at 01:17 PM
Hrow
• • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Canon 7D recommendations

I think you'll find that if you down rez the 18mp file in PP you'll end up with very similar noise so the gain is illusionary. On the other hand, if you are shooting M-RAW and end up unexpectedly needing a large print you are now working from a big disadvantage with the lower rez file.

Jan 04, 2012 at 02:15 PM
Andrew J
• • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Canon 7D recommendations

yes

Jan 04, 2012 at 03:17 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Canon 7D recommendations

If someone is telling you the 7d falls apart at 800 they are full of it.

I hardly ever use that camera lower than 1600.

Buy the 7d and do not look back.

Jan 04, 2012 at 03:18 PM
DLP
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Canon 7D recommendations

Jimna wrote:
I am upping my budget by $700 for the 5DMII

If your doing that strictly based on expectations of significantly better ISO then you may have been hood winked. I use the 7D with ease at 1600 -3200. Yes the 5dII is slightly better at 3200 but @1600 or lower it's nearly a moot point. You started by saying the 7D was a stretch for your budget. Spending more $$$ will not get you a better body across the board because the nominal noise increase with the 7D is more than made up for with a vastly better AF, buffer etc. Where the rubber really hits the road with either of these bodies at high ISO (3200+) is PP skills. You can clean noise in post. You can't always compensate for a slow AF.
Try renting or borrow a 7D before you increase your budget that much.

Dave

Jan 04, 2012 at 04:24 PM
akin_t
• •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Canon 7D recommendations

I agree with DLP 100%, if you think you are going to see a drastic improvement in higher ISO you've been deceived or simply haven't shot a full frame camera before. I mean, the difference is there, but it's marginal. Certainly not worth the additional $1,000 to me.

I shoot a 7D and I use a 17-55mm f/2.8 IS most of the time. If I have no light, then I use a bounced flash. I love taking good pictures but I also love my money.

It appears most photographers online are either blatantly rich and foolish or simply retired hobbyists who have nothing else to spend money on, some people on here can convince you into spending thousands of dollars on crap you don't need.

Honestly, striving to create good light is going to do you more good than throwing more money on a body.

Jan 04, 2012 at 04:35 PM
Ziffl3
• • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Canon 7D recommendations

I use a 7D and a 1DsII for weddings.

When it is dark and reception time ... here comes the 7D. great AF options. fast and responsive.
Loves good glass, needs solid shooting skills and solid pp.

Agree with Robert about high iso ... 3200 all day.

i usually shoot RAW but shoot jpeg for another wedding shooter (her rules) - the jpegs looked damn good. Pleasantly surprised.

Lets gets the noise issues out on the floor. most people have lost touch or never knew what it is like shooting with film.
a lot of shooters think EVERYTHING should be clean. NOT.
ISO 3200 or 4000 is very usable....seriously.

Plus - if you actually print the images they look fantastic.

are the image on the level of FF ... no - just a little down but we are talking large-large prints.
And even then - has somebody said - "oh that image sucks because of the noise in that image! I am not going to that concert......"

just my 2 cent of perspective .....
-Mark

Edited on Jan 04, 2012 at 04:44 PM · View previous versions

Jan 04, 2012 at 04:42 PM
padmasana

p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Canon 7D recommendations

My pleasurable 7D experiences mirror those of RobertLynn, DLP and akin_t.
When I've been faced with active subjects in low light, the 7D has pulled through time and time again.

Jan 04, 2012 at 04:44 PM
akin_t
• •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Canon 7D recommendations

Good point Ziffl3.

It appears many people don't print anymore, they review their work on the most discriminating medium ever, the monitor.

I have been pleased with every print I have made from my 7D. But I understand some people just make pictures that end up on Flickr or Facebook, in that case, it might be better to go for a larger sensor since, the pictures will appear neater on digital displays.

Jan 04, 2012 at 04:46 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Tom Rouse
• •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Canon 7D recommendations

It's weird, but if I do a senior shoot and take some images with the 7D, and some with with the MKlll. It seems that my clients pick out the images taken with the MKlll much more than the other 7D. I probably do more shots with the MKlll, because I like it best of the 2.
When it comes to day or night sports, I usually grab the 7D and shoot in mraw. I use either a 300m f4 or a 70-200 f2.8 mk ll on the 7D for sports. In door basketball I often use my 85 1.8 or my 50 1.4. I hope to soon own the 5d mark3 my next camera, if Canon ever releases it.

Edited on Jan 04, 2012 at 11:00 PM · View previous versions

Jan 04, 2012 at 05:11 PM
akin_t
• •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Canon 7D recommendations

Tom Rouse wrote:
It's weird, but if I do a senior shoot and take some images with the 7D, and some with with the MKlll. It seems that my clients pick out the images taken with the MKlll much more than the other 7D. I probably do more shots with the MKlll, because I like it best of the 2.
When it comes to day or night sports, I usually grab the 7D and shoot in mraw. I use either a 300m f4 or a 70-200 f2.8 mk ll on the 7D for sports. In door basketball I often use my 85 1.8
...Show more

Well larger sensors are much better for portraits true, they have that subject isolation advantage and a much more gradual transition from tone to tone.

Still, it's a matter of how much money you want to invest. You don't have to stop at a 1 series, you could go buy a MF digital back worth tens of thousands.

Jan 04, 2012 at 05:17 PM
Jimna

p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Canon 7D recommendations

none of this has made my decision any easier.

Jan 04, 2012 at 05:26 PM
Hrow
• • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Canon 7D recommendations

I'll make it easier... go with the 7D. The noise isn't much of an issue and takes about 12.5 secs to apply to hundreds of images in LR3. The focusing is fast and accurate, not up to 1D standards but much better than the 5D. Buffering is slightly better than the 5DII. The 7D is a very fine camera. Depending on what I am doing, there are many times I like it better than my 1DsMkIII and can rarely tell which images are shot with which body.

Other pluses are cost and the ability to stay with the 24-70. If going to FF dictates a move to a 70-200 that adds a big chunk of change to the system cost.

If noise is the major determining factor, go with a used D700. You aren't that invested in the Canon system so now would be a good time to switch.

Jan 04, 2012 at 07:17 PM
Jimna

p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Canon 7D recommendations

The D700 creates a need for lots of expensive glass and is off the table to this point. Its just not realistic in my situation.

I am split in my choices now, 7D(if I just look at this in cost) would allow me to spend the extra money on the 135L I want rather badly, but would also create a need for an ultra wide fast lens too. My real fear is buyers remorse with the 7D, I dont want to find myself wishing I had gone with a FF after the fact(for all the benefits of a FF, first being the better ISO performance). In the end I know one day I will own a FF body, why put that off?

A 5DMII purchase will create the need for longer glass and up the price there + the cost of the 5D itself.

very very tough call.

Jan 04, 2012 at 08:12 PM
akin_t
• •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Canon 7D recommendations

Jimna wrote:
The D700 creates a need for lots of expensive glass and is off the table to this point. Its just not realistic in my situation.

I am split in my choices now, 7D(if I just look at this in cost) would allow me to spend the extra money on the 135L I want rather badly, but would also create a need for an ultra wide fast lens too. My real fear is buyers remorse with the 7D, I dont want to find myself wishing I had gone with a FF after the fact(for all the benefits of a FF, first being
...Show more

I don't think it's a tough call.

If you want good glass, then you'll need to skimp on the cost of a body (which leaves you with a used 5D classic or a crop body).

Honestly, I don't know what you've been reading or who you've been talking to but the difference in ISO performance isn't that drastic (don't get me wrong, the difference is there, but it isn't as big as you seem to think it is)

I own a 7D, and have owned the following lenses.

10-22mm
17-55mm
15-85mm
35mm f/1.4L
24mm f/1.4L II
135mm f/2L
70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS

I have never thought to myself "Oh if only I had a full frame camera I would get better shots" ... Only advantage a full frame body will give me is significantly better isolation in portraiture, all the other factors are nice, but not $1,000 nice.

Jan 04, 2012 at 09:19 PM
M Lucca
• • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Canon 7D recommendations

7D is a great camera being a cropped format. Like others said, exposed to the right and you'll be fine. As others have already mentioned about the 7D's AF system etc. One other point that I feel the 7D has over other cameras like the d700, 1d3 or 5dc is... hdslr.

Imagine you are there taking photos of a band and all of a sudden there is sequence in which you think stills are not enough, a flick of a switch and you get instant HD video. Up to 1080p.

Jan 04, 2012 at 10:26 PM
padmasana

p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Canon 7D recommendations

Jimna wrote:

I am split in my choices now, 7D(if I just look at this in cost) would allow me to spend the extra money on the 135L I want rather badly, but would also create a need for an ultra wide fast lens too. My real fear is buyers remorse with the 7D, I dont want to find myself wishing I had gone with a FF after the fact(for all the benefits of a FF, first being
...Show more
I think you've gotten some very good advice here but you're just going to have to go with your gut feelings and realize that either decision will result in some regret. And either decision will also result in a lot of satisfaction. Either way, you win.

Jan 05, 2012 at 12:35 AM
Jimna

p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Canon 7D recommendations

I dont think I can rent a 7D here, I just looked into my last option(i think)....however I have used a 5DMII from a friend not that it helps until I can compare.

Jan 05, 2012 at 05:26 AM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password