New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · D700, SB 25, SB 800, off camera flash

Micah25

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D700, SB 25, SB 800, off camera flash

Shooting a D700 and have beel playing with CLS. Would love to use my dusty SB25 as another off camera light. I don't want to spend$$$$ on RP's or PW, unless someone wants to give me a set. What's another solution to get both my flashes going? Thanks for the help!

--Micah

Dec 22, 2011 at 07:41 PM
gt_me_jon
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D700, SB 25, SB 800, off camera flash

There are optical slaves that you can plug into the PC jack on the flash. You won't be able to use the CLS system in TTL mode but you could set the camera flash to manual power and crank the power all the way down. Then set your SB-800 in SU-4 mode (basically using the built-in optical slave on the SB-800) and set the power manually. The SB-25 would get the plug-in optical slave, and you would have to set its power manually as well.

Here is a link to the optical trigger I referred to: http://flashzebra.com/opticalslaves/0100.shtml

They're pretty common so I'm sure you could find them from many sources. Though I have ordered from flashzebra several times and have never been disappointed.

Dec 22, 2011 at 07:53 PM
mfletch
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D700, SB 25, SB 800, off camera flash

Without buying anything else, you could try the SB-25 on the D700. As gtmejon already said, the SB-800 has built in SU-4 mode, which will allow it to be triggered by whatever flash you happen to have on camera. Just tinker abit with both flashes manual output til you have what you want. I've used the SB-28 and SB-800 this way in the past.

You could always try a set of the cheap eBay radio triggers until funds allow something better. I think they run around $30 for a transmitter and 2 or 3 recievers.

Dec 23, 2011 at 07:23 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.