Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Nikon D5100 auto focus on HD movie mode

blakevan

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Nikon D5100 auto focus on HD movie mode

Hello,

New to this site and the Nikon camera so excuse the stupid questions but I can't find the answer with Google or in the manual.

Should the camera auto focus when changing zoom while shooting in HD format? If it should is there a setting that could be toggled off and that is why mine won't?

Thanks again.

B

Dec 21, 2011 at 10:47 PM
workerdrone
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Nikon D5100 auto focus on HD movie mode

I'm not really qualified to answer this since I've done only a bit of video with my 5100 and I've never really read the manual...but nobody's stepping in here

I don't believe there is any setting to make it AF continuously like a video camera - you would need to zoom and press the shutter button to refocus after zooming.

Really you're not going to get great results, especially at shalllow depth of field, unless you switch to manual focus and practice quite a bit. I don't think any of the WOW videos you might see online use AF.

Dec 23, 2011 at 01:51 PM
blakevan

p.1 #3 · Nikon D5100 auto focus on HD movie mode

Workerdrone,

Thanks for your replied but I think I have it figured out from reading the paper manual. I got focused on the pdf doing search so missed the bit on how to do it. Once in mode where you see the picture on the LCD you hit the help button and change the focus from the AF-S to AF-F and it should work like a normal video camera. You can also further define it to work on Face, Wide or Normal area focus.

I haven't played with it enough yet to actually figure it out but at least I found the reference. Thanks for the reply and may be the next person finds this post and it helps them out a little.

B

Dec 23, 2011 at 03:27 PM
BlueBomberTurbo
• •
p.1 #4 · Nikon D5100 auto focus on HD movie mode

Subject tracking works best if you're following someone or something. It'll keep the AF box on top of the person/thing, focusing only when they go out of focus, instead of trying to focus on whatever's under the AF box at the moment.

Dec 23, 2011 at 05:19 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password