Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · 1.4 II Ext. vs. 1.4 III Ext.

dsr1
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 1.4 II Ext. vs. 1.4 III Ext.

I'm new to Canon and here, having bought a 70-200 f4 IS & 100-400 IS lenses here. I'm loving both but need an Extender that will work on both. The 1.4 II is is a lot cheaper, here used and I'm wondering if there's enough difference in IQ and AF speed to make the new version really worth the difference in price to me. I'm very interested in IQ but I'm not made of money, especially here a Christmas.

Thanks for your help in advance.

DonR

Dec 21, 2011 at 01:15 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 1.4 II Ext. vs. 1.4 III Ext.

Jim (jcolwell) did a comparison between the two. You may want to search for that thread. There is a slight difference in IQ but nothing earth shattering. The AF speed difference and other improvements will be more pronounced in the new supertele lenses. I am not sure what body you will be using the 100-400mm on but depending on your camera body, the AF using the 100-400mm lens may not work with a Canon TC. Just FYI.

Dec 21, 2011 at 01:23 PM
reno.peterson
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 1.4 II Ext. vs. 1.4 III Ext.

With the two lenses you're using, the noticeable improvement between vII and vIII isn't going to be distinguished. I recently picked up a 1.4X II off the boards here to use with my 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, and without owning a new super-tele lens, I've got no intention to upgrade to the III, unless of course I come into a windfall of cash!!!

Dec 21, 2011 at 01:33 PM
dsr1
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 1.4 II Ext. vs. 1.4 III Ext.

Thanks for the input . I had no idea the Canon Extenders didn't work with all their lenses. I moved from Olympus and my EC-1.4 & EC-20 extenders both worked with any lens I put on my cameras including my Sigma 50-500 4.5-6.3. This is new to me and I don't understand why Canon would even make something for the market that might not work with their lenses. I know it can be done. I'm disapointed to hear this. I'm using a 60D camera with these lenses for more info.

DonR

Dec 21, 2011 at 01:51 PM
Gehjl
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 1.4 II Ext. vs. 1.4 III Ext.

They will work as in extending the reach of the lens, but the Autofocus will not work on the 100-400. When you add the extender on the lens, you lose one F stop making the 100-400 when it's a f/5.6 to a F/8. Canon cameras will not autofocus with a F/8 lens, unless you are using one of the higher end models (I don't remember exactly which do), but the 60D will not autofocus. There are 2 alternatives to it, either tape the first few pins on the extender so it doesn't report the aperture to the camera or buy a non reporting 3rd party extender. Both will give you slow autofocus that will only work in good light. I have a 3rd party extender that lets me autofocus and it still worked fine for me.

Dec 21, 2011 at 02:03 PM
reno.peterson
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 1.4 II Ext. vs. 1.4 III Ext.

dsr1 wrote:
Thanks for the input . I had no idea the Canon Extenders didn't work with all their lenses. I moved from Olympus and my EC-1.4 & EC-20 extenders both worked with any lens I put on my cameras including my Sigma 50-500 4.5-6.3. This is new to me and I don't understand why Canon would even make something for the market that might not work with their lenses. I know it can be done. I'm disappointed to hear this. I'm using a 60D camera with these lenses for more info.

DonR

The blanket statement I had no idea the Canon Extenders didn't work with all their lenses. isn't quite correct though either...No they won't work with "ALL" their lenses, but the ones they are intended to be coupled with may have AF ability restrictions on some camera bodies. Such is the 100-400L, using it with a 1.4X adds 1 stop, and may not AF because the resulting f/stop is above f/5.6 which is the limitation of camera bodies other than the 1D/1Ds series. Using that combo on a 1D/1Ds series camera will AF because the upper limit for it's f/stop compatibility is f/8. There are also some Canon lenses that are physically incompatible with the extenders because of the protrusion that extends into the mount end of the lens. On a 60D the upper limit for AF is also f/5.6, so your 70-200 f/4L would work on it, however the 100-400L most likely would not as the lowest wide open stop would be f/6.3.

Dec 21, 2011 at 02:08 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 1.4 II Ext. vs. 1.4 III Ext.

dsr1 wrote:
Thanks for the input . I had no idea the Canon Extenders didn't work with all their lenses. I moved from Olympus and my EC-1.4 & EC-20 extenders both worked with any lens I put on my cameras including my Sigma 50-500 4.5-6.3. This is new to me and I don't understand why Canon would even make something for the market that might not work with their lenses. I know it can be done. I'm disapointed to hear this. I'm using a 60D camera with these lenses for more info.

DonR

Pentax makes (made) two styles of 1.4x and 2x teleconverters, short and long. The 'short' TC's are like third party ones from Kenko and Tamron, as their glass elements do not stick out past the body of the TC. The 'long' models were optimized for use with long lenmses, and their front elements extend about 5 cm past the front end of the TC body.

Canon Extenders are all of the 'long' type. They are optimized to work with relatively long lenses, and they're really good, especially the new Mk III's. The Canon tilt-shift lenses are an exception, as they also work with the Extenders.

Dec 21, 2011 at 04:14 PM
rdcny
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 1.4 II Ext. vs. 1.4 III Ext.

Here is one past thread on the topic:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1059882/0#10075354

Dec 21, 2011 at 04:49 PM
Tenn.Jer
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 1.4 II Ext. vs. 1.4 III Ext.

Here's an article by a very talented wildlife photographer about taping the pins on a 1.4x extender in order to maintain AF on non-1D Series canon bodies...take a look at the rest of his site, too - some good info there...

http://www.michaelfurtman.com/taping_the_pins.htm

I've used a 100-400 with taped pins, and with some success, but there was considerable hunting, bouncing back and forth before accurately settling down...

Dec 21, 2011 at 05:29 PM
RAF09
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 1.4 II Ext. vs. 1.4 III Ext.

Tenn.Jer wrote:
I've used a 100-400 with taped pins, and with some success, but there was considerable hunting, bouncing back and forth before accurately settling down...

I never did get the 100-400 with the 1.4 TC to stop hunting, even if I focused "close" by hand before engaging auto focus with a 7D. Just my $.02

Dec 21, 2011 at 06:06 PM
dsr1
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 1.4 II Ext. vs. 1.4 III Ext.

Thanks for all of you taking the time to give me all this information.

I can;t say I'm not disapointed though. I sold a Bigma Olympus mount that was really nice but very heavy. I chose the 100-400mm thinking I could ad the 1.4 Ext. and crop if needed and save on the size, weight difference between the vtwo lenses. Now I find I've got 400mm max. That's lacking a lot of reach from what I've been used to. I still love the 100-400 lens, it's faster and sharper than the Bigma but it's way short to me and the 500mm f4 & 1.4 Ext. is way out of my financial reach.

DonR

Dec 21, 2011 at 06:42 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 1.4 II Ext. vs. 1.4 III Ext.

dsr1 wrote:
I'm new to Canon and here, having bought a 70-200 f4 IS & 100-400 IS lenses here. I'm loving both but need an Extender that will work on both. The 1.4 II is is a lot cheaper, here used and I'm wondering if there's enough difference in IQ and AF speed to make the new version really worth the difference in price to me. I'm very interested in IQ but I'm not made of money, especially here a Christmas.

Thanks for your help in advance.

DonR

not much difference in the center region at all, the III is sharper at the edges and has a good deal less CA though (some CA can be fixed in PP though)

Dec 21, 2011 at 11:05 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.