Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Quick photoshop/action question

Scott Mosher
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Quick photoshop/action question

I can't quite figure this out, and I'm hoping there is a way for me to do this. Hopefully I'm explaining it so it makes sense!

At my day job I have 20 images, which for example's sake is just a bone shaped graphic (on layer 1) on a white background (layer 2). Each image has a different colored bone. What I need to do (which I can do manually) is select the bone using the magic wand, expand it by 20 pixels, create a new layer, and fill it with the color of the bone. If I record using the eyedropper PS records the color I chose. Am I able to tell PS to record the color at a specific place in the image so I could automate this process? I have a bunch of other shapes to do as well and that would speed me up greatly.

Dec 21, 2011 at 05:38 PM
James_N
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Quick photoshop/action question

Sounds like you need a script instead of an action. In many cases Photoshop cannot record modal dialog boxes in actions. These guys are usually very helpful:http://www.ps-scripts.com/bb/

BTW, are all the shapes the same size? If they are you can make a single Alpha channel and transfer it to the other files and use it to mask the shape or background. Also, I think you'd get better results using a command like Color Range instead of the Magic Wand.

Dec 21, 2011 at 05:44 PM
Scott Mosher
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Quick photoshop/action question

Cool, I'll go check them out.

Dec 21, 2011 at 07:25 PM
redcrown
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Quick photoshop/action question

That's a tough one. Definitely can't get Photoshop to record in and Action a color selected from the current doc. All color selection tools record the specific color selected at the time the action is recorded.

But in your specific case, here's a method that might work.

1. Select your bone (maybe dupe the layer first cause your are going to destroy it).
2. Expand the selection as desired.
3. Add that selection as a layer mask on your "bone" layer.
4. Click on the "chain link" icon to the left of the layer mask icon in the Layers Pallet. That will record as "Set current layer without layer mask linked"
5. Reselect your bone, then transform it and expand it huge in all directions. Having unlinked the layer mask in step 4, only the color will expand and not the mask.

That will "expand" the current color of the bone across the canvas, but the "expanded" layer mask will restrict it to what you want. Would work on solid color bones. Won't work very well on real bones or objects with varying tone or texture, because the transform/expand will mess up those pixels. But if you transform/expand a solid color you get the same solid color.

From that point you could reselect your layer mask, cut and paste the content on a new layer.

Dec 22, 2011 at 12:37 AM
Scott Mosher
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Quick photoshop/action question

So with the method redcrown mentioned, the bones are a solid color. Dumb question maybe, but would expanding that solid color make any noticeable printing difference? I'm only expanding it by about 15px on all sides

Dec 30, 2011 at 09:26 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password