Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · What type of modifier used here guys?

m.shalaby
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What type of modifier used here guys?

What type of modifier do you think was used here guys? Its a hard source of some sort... my guess is a larger beauty dish like a Mola 28" Setti or 33" Euro - that or bare bulb.

Any thoughts?

http://www.fashionising.com/pictures/p--Charlie-France-Julia-Nobis-Burberry-Black-Fall-2010-Ad-Campaign-7501-109301.html

Dec 21, 2011 at 03:37 PM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What type of modifier used here guys?

Looks like bare reflector a stop above ambient

Dec 21, 2011 at 04:09 PM
m.shalaby
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What type of modifier used here guys?

Mark_L wrote:
Looks like bare reflector a stop above ambient

bare reflector? kinda a play on words... do you mean something like a small 7" reflector?

Dec 21, 2011 at 04:37 PM
eSchwab
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What type of modifier used here guys?

Yes looks like just small reflector on a light.

Dec 21, 2011 at 04:48 PM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What type of modifier used here guys?

Given the amount of post processing typically done on images its difficult to say with any certainty.

Given the area of coverage and character of the shadows created by the key light I'd guess a large parabolic modifier on the key light, in part because they are quite popular lately. The level of shadow detail and size of the specular reflections on the details in the shadows like the buttons would indicate a large fill source.

Dec 21, 2011 at 05:21 PM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What type of modifier used here guys?

m.shalaby wrote:
bare reflector? kinda a play on words... do you mean something like a small 7" reflector?

Yes. Reflectors are often used with umbrellas hence the clarification.

Dec 21, 2011 at 06:18 PM
m.shalaby
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · What type of modifier used here guys?

^ See thats an interesting response as I thought about a larger para modifier too at once, but I feel the shadows on the models faces are rather hard and beauty dish like. Very hard. Same with the shadows behind them. Making me think its a beauty dish like the Mola Setti or a bare bulb...

Dec 21, 2011 at 06:18 PM
m.shalaby
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · What type of modifier used here guys?

This one photo in specific makes me really wonder what was used. If you look at the wall of the building, you can see the rim outline of the modifier. Its a rather hard line too. I doubt you would get this with a large modifier as they tend to have a gradual fall off.

I'm still stumped. My gut says bare bulb or something like a small 7" reflector or a medium size beauty dish.

Dec 21, 2011 at 06:23 PM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · What type of modifier used here guys?

m.shalaby wrote:
This one photo in specific makes me really wonder what was used. If you look at the wall of the building, you can see the rim outline of the modifier. Its a rather hard line too. I doubt you would get this with a large modifier as they tend to have a gradual fall off.

Do you understand how a parabolic reflector works?
See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parabolic_reflector

It creates a focused beam of light when the source is located at the focal point. If you have a small parabolic reflector you get a small focused footprint. The person taking that shot was likely using one which was 7 feet in diameter, which would create the type of pattern you are seeing on the wall.

Dec 21, 2011 at 06:38 PM
m.shalaby
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · What type of modifier used here guys?

Yes, I know how Para's work.

I own a PCB PLM, while not a true Para, I get the essense of them. If he used a hi-end TRUE para - which cost upwards to $5K each (I doubt it from following this photographer (Lachlan Bailey)... he may of rented one though. Not sure. I just highly doubt Lachlan used a $5K para. Most of his work is natural light, or with softboxes.

Also everything leads to a smaller light source to my eye. A 22" Mola Demi can create a hard line like that as well... I guess there's no definitive answer here. Just guessing.

Dec 21, 2011 at 07:14 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

RustyBug
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · What type of modifier used here guys?

Not sure which reflector, but it looks to me like they are catching the guy closer to the feathered edge ... the central portion aimed at the background.

Dec 21, 2011 at 10:29 PM
ukphotographer
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · What type of modifier used here guys?

cgardner wrote:
Do you understand how a parabolic reflector works?
See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parabolic_reflector

It creates a focused beam of light when the source is located at the focal point. If you have a small parabolic reflector you get a small focused footprint. The person taking that shot was likely using one which was 7 feet in diameter, which would create the type of pattern you are seeing on the wall.

There's little chance of a 7 foot parabolic being used as the variation in shadows on the stonework illustrate a small source close to the wall, not a large one at any sort of distance.

5" or 7" reflector at the most. BD's would be too soft and large.

Maybe even mounted on a pole and held by an assistant

Dec 21, 2011 at 11:15 PM
dtaylor52

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · What type of modifier used here guys?

The last one looks like a bare head with barndoors

Dec 22, 2011 at 03:57 AM
m.shalaby
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · What type of modifier used here guys?

alright all, thanks for the input. it confirms that my hunch that its a smaller light source (bare w/ small reflector) is the source.

Dec 22, 2011 at 02:36 PM
dmacmillan
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · What type of modifier used here guys?

I'm still trying to figure out why we care how they created that nasty highlight on her nose.

Dec 22, 2011 at 02:45 PM
ukphotographer
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · What type of modifier used here guys?

dmacmillan wrote:
I'm still trying to figure out why we care how they created that nasty highlight on her nose.

Maybe because somebody cares to find out... and as a wild guess - I'd say the subject was clothing and the nose was incidental and far less important in the scheme of things..

I'd guess too that the AD was happy, so job done - otherwise we'd never get see the images.

HTH.

Dec 22, 2011 at 08:43 PM
dmacmillan
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · What type of modifier used here guys?

ukphotographer wrote:
I'd guess too that the AD was happy, so job done

Oh, ok. A happy AD equates to good work. Good to know.

Dec 23, 2011 at 12:42 AM
woffles
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · What type of modifier used here guys?

Magnum?

Dec 23, 2011 at 01:26 AM
Mike Mahoney
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · What type of modifier used here guys?

Magnum would probably be my guess as well, or some other similar sized reflector.

Dec 23, 2011 at 08:33 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password