Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Cintiq or Intuos 4

RKnecht
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Cintiq or Intuos 4

I am ready to ditch the mouse and move to either a Cintiq or Intuos4 tablet. I am leaning towards the Cintiq as it has a screen and I think it would make it easier to edit photos. I do quite a bit of smudging and other digital art, so I think being able to edit on the actual photo would be a big plus.

Does anyone here use or switch to a Cintiq? Which model do you have? I think a 12WX would be adequate, but the 24HD is what I am aiming for. I'd be interested to hear from 12WX users and if they think the screen is too small. I will be using a dual monitor setup BTW.

Dec 21, 2011 at 12:20 PM
John Skinner
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Cintiq or Intuos 4

Ive used the 12 and find it cumbersome due to small size complexity of the controls. The 24 is the opposite, HUGE, HEAVY, NON-Portable. And frankly, made for someone that does this at their work station as a living. It's like an editing station on steroids.

And if your just coming from a "mouse" setup, the $2,500.00 is a bit of overkill in my eyes. The Intuos4 Medium is a great tablet. Price pointed out in the upper 200 range and certainly gives you all the options you'll need by way of editing.

The ONLY disadvantage to the 12/24 vs. the Intuos line is the screen calibration=workflow etc..

If you have a place where you can view both of these units in operation, that would certainly clinch it for you, but from mouse to a 24? Nope.

Dec 22, 2011 at 05:50 PM
Jack Heckaman
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Cintiq or Intuos 4

I went from mouse to tablet to Cintiq 21 and I have to say I would never go back. Hand eye coordination with a tablet has a learning curve but for portability it is great. I do still have mine for the few times I need to travel light. The cintiq is my main monitor ( i have 2 - Dell 27" in a three monitor setup)and I do not know what I did before it. The ease of doing the fine edits to the eyes and face of a portrait are a great time saver and frankly I love my Cintiq. They are very proud of them though - so if you have the budget and do alot of editing then go with the Cintiq. On a budget or want portability go with the tablet. Either way you will be very happy you did.
John is right about the new 24hd being big and heavy, the 21 is much lighter and $500 cheaper. There are used ones available also where the 24 is brand new and is in very short supply (ive been trying to get one for over a month with no luck)

Dec 23, 2011 at 12:27 PM
RKnecht
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · Cintiq or Intuos 4

Thanks for the input guys. I may just opt for the large Intuos4 and see how that goes before I go the Cintiq route. I use the mouse a lot with smudging and other brush related tasks, and my hand-eye coordination is pretty good. Looking at the space I use now with the mouse and how much I need to move it about to cover my 24" monitors, I think even the medium tablet would suffice.

John, if you are serious about getting the 24", I talked to MacMall a couple days ago and they had quite a few in stock at $2589.

Dec 23, 2011 at 12:41 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password