Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       6       end

Archive 2011 · My 200 F1.8L is on the way!

PetKal
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · My 200 F1.8L is on the way!

Yes, you show a good eye for BIF shooting, the first one required lottsa coordination to have it nicely centered.....a 200mm lens requires some proximity as well, and that is obviously not easy to do with all bird species.

Dec 26, 2011 at 02:31 AM
saneproduction
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · My 200 F1.8L is on the way!

Thanks Peter! This is my first attempt at BIF outside of that goose I got in front of the red barn with my 135L. That was just coincidence it flew by though. I will try some more shots soon. Also some with the TC 1.4x II

Ya, seagulls is probably as far as I take this BIF stuff. Just can't imagine camping in the wetlands in hip waders at 5am, but I love the people who capture that! What amazing dedication!

Dec 26, 2011 at 02:36 AM
NikkorAIS
• • •
Account locked
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · My 200 F1.8L is on the way!

Nice work Mike,
I love the shot of the road by your parents house.
As far as my 200 1.8 EF thread I am glad it was source of inspiration. Nice to hear that.

I am also in awe at the IQ from this lens. It's just ... beyond.

P.S

Thanks for the heads up about the images disappearing on my 200 1.8 EF thread but ... near as I can tell the pictures are still there..?. In fact, I was going add some new images tonight.

Gregory

Dec 26, 2011 at 05:01 AM
Grantland
• • • •
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · My 200 F1.8L is on the way!

hey mike i have the 200 f/1.8 manual in jpg if you want a copy shoot me your e-mail.

grant

Dec 26, 2011 at 01:31 PM
Cphoto1954
• • •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · My 200 F1.8L is on the way!

For the case you may want to check out Think Tank.
For lens caps I really liked a simple "Rubbermaid" lids. Some company is postign tham as such. I found that hint and the link somewhere here on FM (sorry I can't find it now).

Nice find - enjoy your lens!

Dec 26, 2011 at 07:34 PM
Tredders
• • •
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · My 200 F1.8L is on the way!

saneproduction wrote:
I was able to go out to the beach for about a half hour and catch some great light!

All shots at F1.8 ISO 100 5DII handheld. Images are all un-processed from RAW, just straight import into LR3 with default settings and export with re-size.

You hand held that bad boy? You're a better man than I! Mine is firmly attached to a monopod - I find it too heave to handhold, and I'm 6' 5"

I'd actually been thinking of selling mine, but having seem your photos, it's made me want to go out and use it again.

Dec 26, 2011 at 07:35 PM
Richard Nye
• • • •
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · My 200 F1.8L is on the way!

People talk about how they want a lens that's "sharp". Obviously this lens is sharp. However, it is so much more. The combination of contrast, colors, sharpness, etc. makes it artistic. It's the difference between a musical instrument being in "tune" vs being musical. This lens is truly musical!

Dec 26, 2011 at 07:42 PM
saneproduction
• • •
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · My 200 F1.8L is on the way!

Cphoto1954 wrote:
For the case you may want to check out Think Tank.
For lens caps I really liked a simple "Rubbermaid" lids. Some company is postign tham as such. I found that hint and the link somewhere here on FM (sorry I can't find it now).

Nice find - enjoy your lens!

I ordered a used Tenba LL300 case from a forum member on B&S (thanks PetKal for that find). I also ordered a don Zeck cap and I bought an OPTECH USA hood hat to act as a temporary cap in the meantime.

http://optechusa.com/hood-hat.html

I would like to get a hood at some point, but t $300-400, just don't want to spend that cash right now since I already stretched so far to get the lens. I may actully make a PVC hood and spray it matte black or line it with duvatine as a temporary solution. I have not had any flare issues so far though.

Dec 26, 2011 at 08:23 PM
saneproduction
• • •
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · My 200 F1.8L is on the way!

Tredders wrote:
You hand held that bad boy? You're a better man than I! Mine is firmly attached to a monopod - I find it too heave to handhold, and I'm 6' 5"

I'd actually been thinking of selling mine, but having seem your photos, it's made me want to go out and use it again.

Notice I was only out shooting for 45 minutes

I am not what you would call strong, but I am used to very heavy broacast "ENG" cameras from my work as a Producer/Director/DP for corporate, commercial, non-profit and education HD television production (my actual job). So this camera is not that bad. With our TV cameras, we have the benefit of having the weight on our shoulders (though usually on sticks).

I am interested in what mono-pod you (or others) would reccommend)

A few shots of me at work.

Me shooting on a dark rainy night

A DP I work with a lot and me

Me reheasing a scene with the talent who is carrying an attache case

Edited on Dec 26, 2011 at 08:45 PM · View previous versions

Dec 26, 2011 at 08:34 PM
saneproduction
• • •
p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · My 200 F1.8L is on the way!

Richard Nye wrote:
People talk about how they want a lens that's "sharp". Obviously this lens is sharp. However, it is so much more. The combination of contrast, colors, sharpness, etc. makes it artistic. It's the difference between a musical instrument being in "tune" vs being musical. This lens is truly musical!

I have to say Richard that I was exepecting a lot from this lens and it still impressed me greatly. If this is the benchmark for wide open performace with Canon L series glass, what the heck is going on with my other lenses?

Dec 26, 2011 at 08:37 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Richard Nye
• • • •
p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · My 200 F1.8L is on the way!

saneproduction wrote:
I have to say Richard that I was exepecting a lot from this lens and it still impressed me greatly. If this is the benchmark for wide open performace with Canon L series glass, what the heck is going on with my other lenses?

From my collection of L glass, the only other lenses that approach this artistic quality (that I own, or have owned) is the 500 f/4L, the 24 TS-E II, and the 135 f/2L. Another notable is the 85 f/1.2L II, but in my opinion, just a slight notch behind in IQ.

Dec 26, 2011 at 09:44 PM
saneproduction
• • •
p.5 #12 · p.5 #12 · My 200 F1.8L is on the way!

I know what you mean Richard! Every other lens I have has some weakness, especially CA wide open and I can't see that here. My 85 L II will have magenta halos like crazy in some high contrast back lit situations and most of my other Ls also have purple/green fringing.

Dec 27, 2011 at 02:22 AM
saneproduction
• • •
p.5 #13 · p.5 #13 · My 200 F1.8L is on the way!

I received my Don Zeck lens cap today and it is awesome!

Don even signed the package!

Pics with iPhone 4S un-processed (re-sized by photobucket)

Wow, those iPhone pictures are terrible! If I weren't so lazy I would re-take them!

Off on Thursday-Tuesday and hope to have some good weather to go out and shoot more!

Dec 28, 2011 at 04:09 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.5 #14 · p.5 #14 · My 200 F1.8L is on the way!

Mike, with a Zeck's cap on the lens, its glass is as well protected as it can be.
Those caps are not cheap, but they do the job.

Dec 28, 2011 at 04:49 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.5 #15 · p.5 #15 · My 200 F1.8L is on the way!

Are you Batman?

Dec 28, 2011 at 12:32 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.5 #16 · p.5 #16 · My 200 F1.8L is on the way!

I don't use the handle on my Zeck caps, because I like to stand my big wihtes on their noses, with Zeck attached. It doesn't make it any more difficult to remove the cap when it's inside a big hood, unless you're wearing big gloves.

When you order the cap, you can ask Don to not attach a handle. He will include the handle and plastic rivets in a separate bag, in case you change your mind later.

Dec 28, 2011 at 12:45 PM
saneproduction
• • •
p.5 #17 · p.5 #17 · My 200 F1.8L is on the way!

I wonder if I can remove the handle now? I don't have a hood yet anyway.

Dec 28, 2011 at 04:48 PM
saneproduction
• • •
p.5 #18 · p.5 #18 · My 200 F1.8L is on the way!

jcolwell wrote:
Are you Batman?

Lol, I put that little reflection in there on purpose to see if anyone would notice. I have the original Frank Miller "Batman the Dark Knight Returns" from 1986 issues 1,3 and 4 framed in our living room/dining room (my favorite comics growing up). Yep, my wife is cool.

Mike

Dec 28, 2011 at 04:54 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.5 #19 · p.5 #19 · My 200 F1.8L is on the way!

saneproduction wrote:
I wonder if I can remove the handle now? I don't have a hood yet anyway.

Yes. That's what I did with my first Zeck. Just insert a sharp knife with a slender and strong blade between the strap and the cap, and push down while seesawing it back and forth until the rivet is cut. One at a time, slow & steady.

Dec 28, 2011 at 05:32 PM
saneproduction
• • •
p.5 #20 · p.5 #20 · My 200 F1.8L is on the way!

I took some engagement photos for my little brother today! It was super crappy out, but I got some good stuff. Shots minimally processed in LR3 with vibrance and clarity 15. Love to have any tips on technique or post processing.

Dec 30, 2011 at 03:10 AM
       6       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

6       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password