Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · nikon coolpix aw100

kinconorb
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · nikon coolpix aw100

Does anyone own this camera if so how do you like it? Also how exactly does the GPS function work? I've searched online but can't find any in depth reviews. From what I can tell it seems you can just take a photo, and then see where you are located so the camera acts as a GPS sort of.

Dec 21, 2011 at 01:06 AM
agentbird
• • •
p.1 #2 · nikon coolpix aw100

I bought one to bring on my recent trip to Singapore and Malaysia.

The GPS is pretty neat, it automatically embeds the coordinates in the exif data.
It can also display points of interest, such as neighborhoods or as in my experience, the island I was on, which was pretty small

It also has built in maps, but they are not very detailed. Another smart option the GPS has is the ability to create a GPS log, which you can program to last for 6 or 12 hours, or manually shut off when your trip is over. The file it creates can be imported to Google Earth which lets you see your trip on a map.

The only major downside of the GPS and especially the logger is that it drains the battery and after a whole day you'll probably need to recharge the batteries.

The image quality is alright over water, but is pretty good under. I feel that the images come out with too little contrast. It would be better if it had the ability to shoot raw.
The video quality on the other hand is very good.

Hope this helped a little. Sorry for my poor English

Dec 21, 2011 at 09:37 AM
Dwight3

p.1 #3 · nikon coolpix aw100

agentbird wrote:
...The GPS is pretty neat, it automatically embeds the coordinates in the exif data....

That's nice, but can you turn it off when you want to?

Dec 21, 2011 at 12:24 PM
agentbird
• • •
p.1 #4 · nikon coolpix aw100

Yes, it's easy to deactivate.

Dec 21, 2011 at 01:43 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password