Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2011 · B&S feedback. Neutral or Negative?

mco_970
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · B&S feedback. Neutral or Negative?

I bought a couple of small items from someone who has almost 40 positive transactions in B&S feedback. It was a $100 transaction, and he asked me to pay with gift, which I did because he is established (something I will not do again, ever, period).

He told me several times my item had shipped, he told me how sick he was, and once he even gave me a priority shipping # that turned out to be false. However, after a month of this, I threatened to press fraud charges, and my items magically arrived a few days later.

So, I am inclined to leave negative feedback as fair warning to others, however, my items DID eventually arrive. Is that fair or is neutral more fair because my items were eventually sent? I don't want to be pi$$y to someone who is (possibly) sick, but the false priority shipping number was just stupid.

TIA -
Michelle

Dec 21, 2011 at 12:02 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · B&S feedback. Neutral or Negative?

Hi Michelle,
The option between Fair or Poor should be up to you. In any case, don't worry about feedback retaliation. That is why I'm here. If he/she posts an unfair feedback for you, let me know.
Fred

Dec 21, 2011 at 12:23 AM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · B&S feedback. Neutral or Negative?

Awesome, thank you Fred! Another reason to love this board!!

- Michelle

Dec 21, 2011 at 12:26 AM
borderlight
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · B&S feedback. Neutral or Negative?

Michelle.... You should think about feedback like tipping a server at a restaurant. If everything is copacetic then GREAT, if not and the meal arrives an hour later, and bill is screwed-up too then it's not so great. An honest, accurate accounting of the transaction helps all FMers.

Dec 21, 2011 at 11:24 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · B&S feedback. Neutral or Negative?

A month is absurd, Michelle. Post appropriate feedback...Fred's got your back.

Dec 21, 2011 at 12:54 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · B&S feedback. Neutral or Negative?

Hey, thanks guys. He had done this previously according to feedback but the people he did it with left him positive feedback in the end. Maybe that is fear of retaliation.

So my negative feedback will stand. Heckwithit.

Dec 21, 2011 at 02:22 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · B&S feedback. Neutral or Negative?

If you are certain that person gave you a fake tracking # intentionally, i.e., as an act of deception, then they probably merit a negative feedback for that reason alone.

Dec 21, 2011 at 03:05 PM
saaketham
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · B&S feedback. Neutral or Negative?

Yeah ... looking at the guy's feedback, it seems this happens a lot with him. Same excuse on another transaction - "item got returned with wrong address". And many comments about "slow to respond", "slow to ship", etc etc. In my books, that's a bad seller.

That's lame .. if you're too busy to ship and communicate properly, don't sell. I'd leave the negative feedback in place - the others seem too chicken to leave negative feedback. If buyers don't accurately portray how good or how bad a transaction went, then they're lowering the reliability of the ratings system.

Dec 21, 2011 at 03:54 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · B&S feedback. Neutral or Negative?

We owe it to one another to give meaningful and accurate feedback. I'd encourage you to give negative feedback and to explain in the body of your comments what transpired. Let us know what the goods in question were and your efforts to move the seller who was not performing.

And NEVER use Paypal Gift with anyone. When I want to save on fees I will pay with a personal check but only with someone whom I know to be trustworthy. That generally means someone who does more than simply buy and sell gear on FM. I've both received and sent thousand dollar lenses to FM members on the PROMISE of a personal check. There are great folks who hang out on this site but due diligence is always in order. Your honesty in assessing this transaction benefits us all. I'm glad you got your gear but the process leaves a great deal to be desired.

Dec 21, 2011 at 06:30 PM
anthonysemone
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · B&S feedback. Neutral or Negative?

I echo the others here, Michelle. Tell it like it is There is no excuse for lying to you about shipment. The integrity of the feedback system depends upon it.

Dec 21, 2011 at 07:21 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Binh Ly
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · B&S feedback. Neutral or Negative?

I know the guy you're talking about. I bought 2 times from him and everything was fine. Yes it is true that he is slow to respond and indeed on the second time, he told me he was sick and wasn't able to get back to me immediately. I had no reason to doubt him since I haven't seen him online for maybe a week before he responded.

My take: I think he is just a very busy guy with a lot of stuff on his plate. Even though he is not "internet-time" responsive, he seems like a sincere guy who just doesn't have much time for things like buy and sell. It is possible that the tracking he provided you was just an honest mistake but who knows for sure.

Whether or not he deserves negative FB, I suppose that is up to you. I have a feeling he probably will not care anyway since my impression is he doesn't spend much time online.

I didn't see any reason to leave negative FB for him since I paid, and I got what I paid for. Of course, I didn't expect much anyway since I kinda had a feeling he is a busy guy.

Dec 21, 2011 at 09:57 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · B&S feedback. Neutral or Negative?

^ I have a feeling he probably will not care anyway
There ya have it, and how we separate the 'cream from the crap' around here.
You take someone's money, you get off your ass and properly communicate AND ship the goods.
You don't "have the time"...then you probably shouldn't be sellin' at least not on FM

Dec 21, 2011 at 11:01 PM
ontime
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · B&S feedback. Neutral or Negative?

Feedback is, by definition, subjective. There are no set rules about what makes you a poor seller or buyer; it's all about the opposite party's perspective on the matter.

If Binh Ly feels the seller's conduct led to a positive experience for him - regardless of timeliness - then it's his prerogative to leave positive feedback.

If you disagree, that's fine. Just don't rely on feedback aggregation metrics (ie, % positive, or 4/5 stars) when you make decisions on buyers, sellers, or products, because leaving feedback is a personal matter.

Dec 21, 2011 at 11:34 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · B&S feedback. Neutral or Negative?

^ Coming from someone with ZERO feedback, this is SO comforting
Love when the "experts" in our system chime in. I'm sure Michelle feels MUCH better now.

Dec 21, 2011 at 11:56 PM
ontime
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · B&S feedback. Neutral or Negative?

The fact that the seller in question has exhibited this behavior repeatedly yet still has positive feedback (which you seem to completely disagree with - your prerogative, again.) proves my point. Oh yeah, this and Binh Ly's post.

My post was pretty general and wasn't intended to make Michelle feel better. I don't need to have purchased or sold items on this board to have experience on this matter. Feedback systems are ubiquitous among merchants and middle-man sites. Sometimes people don't understand the subjective nature of such systems so I threw my post out there. Sorry if I offended you with my post.

Dec 22, 2011 at 12:31 AM
saaketham
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · B&S feedback. Neutral or Negative?

I read several of that seller's feedback posts and the same trend is apparent in many of them - "slow to respond", "slow to ship" - excuses. If you're the one who has sent someone $1000 and are waiting for a response, you'll realize how nerve-wracking that can be. Again, if you're too busy to sell and take care of your responsibility, then pay someone else to do your sale for you - if he's so busy, then he must be making a lot of money, right?

Binh Ly wrote:
Yes it is true that he is slow to respond and indeed on the second time, he told me he was sick and wasn't able to get back to me immediately. I had no reason to doubt him since I haven't seen him online for maybe a week before he responded.

Most buyers who wait and wait and eventually begin to think they've been scammed might feel relieved when the item eventually arrives, and forget to post negative feedback because at that point, they're relieved to even get the items.

My take: I think he is just a very busy guy with a lot of stuff on his plate.
Not a good excuse to repeatedly use. Yes, I've also sold items on FM or eBay and had to delay shipping for a few days sometimes when the unexpected happens. But, to repeatedly do so shows bad ethics as a seller.

Whether or not he deserves negative FB, I suppose that is up to you. I have a feeling he probably will not care anyway since my impression is he doesn't spend much time online.
Oh he will care if he gets a lot of negative feedback and people stop buying from him.

Dec 22, 2011 at 03:55 PM
Binh Ly
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · B&S feedback. Neutral or Negative?

saaketham wrote:
I read several of that seller's feedback posts and the same trend is apparent in many of them - "slow to respond", "slow to ship" - excuses. If you're the one who has sent someone $1000 and are waiting for a response, you'll realize how nerve-wracking that can be. Again, if you're too busy to sell and take care of your responsibility, then pay someone else to do your sale for you - if he's so busy, then he must be making a lot of money, right?

Most buyers who wait and wait and eventually begin to think they've been
...Show more

I'm not trying to make excuses for this guy nor sway anybody to give any specific feedback to him. All I am saying is sometimes people may have other priorities in life that more important to them. I can tell you one thing: he is not a scammer, and I personally do not feel that he should get negative FB from me. Maybe at worst, a Fair rating for slow response. Heck, I've dealt with worse sellers on here (who shipped promptly) than this guy.

Dec 22, 2011 at 04:33 PM
Sharona
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · B&S feedback. Neutral or Negative?

I suppose enough has been said, but I'll agree with those who say to let your feedback stand as you see fit. As someone who has bought most of my gear on this board and sold a bit, too, I find communication to be key. And honesty, of course. If he was too busy or if he knew it was going to take time he should have told you so. Plain and simple. I am sorry if he is ill a lot, but be honest and your buyer will rest easier. A fake tracking number is unacceptable and a red flag - and as Will said, a month also is unacceptable without reasonable communication. I don't know who the seller in question is, but there you have my humble opinion.

Dec 22, 2011 at 04:56 PM
saaketham
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · B&S feedback. Neutral or Negative?

Binh Ly wrote:
All I am saying is sometimes people may have other priorities in life that more important to them.

Sometimes .. when unexpected things happen, this is absolutely understand-able. But, not as a habit.

I can tell you one thing: he is not a scammer, and I personally do not feel that he should get negative FB from me. Maybe at worst, a Fair rating for slow response.
I agree. He doesn't seem to be a scammer. If he was, Fred would have banned him by now. But, he's not a good seller either, judging by his feedback. All I'm saying is .. if he's so freaking busy all the time, then he needs to find someone else to do the selling for him. Otherwise, taking money and then not doing his part on time simply shows he's a bad seller. Not a scammer, I agree.

There are many sellers on this board. What sets some apart .. is the prompt communication, honesty about the condition of the item, sending photos on request, acknowledging receipt of payment, shipping on time and responding to follow-up issues such as "item was not as described, I need a refund" etc. Not doing these things sets the seller apart too - only, in the other direction.

Dec 22, 2011 at 04:56 PM
Sharona
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · B&S feedback. Neutral or Negative?

^^+1

Dec 22, 2011 at 05:09 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password