Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2011 · 1DX review by TDP

PetKal
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · 1DX review by TDP

B. Carnathan seems to have compiled a large quantity of 1DX pre-production info into a lengthy camera review of his own.

There are lottsa new features in 1DX for sure, such as in-camera purple fringing correction of which I haven't been aware until I read the TDP review.

As far as I've heard, Canon has not delayed the 1DX introduction beyond March 2012 yet, and the price is expected to be around $7,000 US. That is a major amount of money to be spent on a mass produced 35mm digital camera today. One way or another, there will be a long period of time before I'd be prepared to buy the camera, assuming it works as intended.

Dec 20, 2011 at 11:11 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · 1DX review by TDP

Hey, PetKal.
Thxs for the link. To me it means nothing. Nothing new was sayd. And doing a first hand review with an sealed CF-card slot to me is as stupid as viewing a camera in a shops window and imagine about IQ. To me IQ is evrything that counts. And if that cameras IQ in 25600 or 51K ISO is not comparable to ISO 3.200/6.400 of my actual 5D MK II ... - its just unneeded rubish.

The ISO 51K images shown till today look nice. But in 480x320 pixels even the most painfull noise looks great. Your link does not gave me anything new. I would like to see ONE ISO 51K image. In full resolution, best as raw.

Before I would write anything, I would like to see something. What means: B. Carnathan is not in one way reliable to me. He just offers nothing to compare with anything. To me it looks stupid to write anything about nothing. Its just getting people on another website again, that makes money with B&H and Amazon sales (and in this case "Ibis Hotels", too).

Horrible!

Facts:
The new Nikon D4 was rumored at ISO 100K and went down now to ISO 12.800 ...
I am sure ISO 51K at 1DX will be usable. If, and if the corrected 4D rumors are right, Nikon again is just dead as a competitor. Because they would be still behind 3-5 years in actual development. And Canon would stay as the WW leader in imaging. Still with 3 year old technologie: 5D MK II at 25% higher resolution and one stop less. At third of the price.

But the issue here is:
Whom should I trust who is talking about - instead of showing - PICTURES? Not of the body, but done with it!

Ralph

Dec 20, 2011 at 11:49 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · 1DX review by TDP

Ralph Conway wrote:
But the issue here is:
Whom should I trust who is talking about - instead of showing - PICTURES? Not of the body, but done with it!

Ralph

Mere pictures mean little too.....since their quality depends on many factors, including the photographer's skill, post processing method, etc., etc. Furthermore, what can a photo tell us about AF performance and some such key camera features ?

The best, if not the only, evaluation method is to use the camera yourself for several weeks and then decide how well it meets your needs. The next best method would be to receive input from a very experienced and non-biased photographer who has used the camera extensively to do some type of real world shooting with it.

Dec 21, 2011 at 12:14 AM
chrisdee
• •
p.1 #4 · 1DX review by TDP

Ralph Conway wrote:

Well, TDP guy did say there's nothing new in his article, from the beginning. He just compiled info available from various sources, which some of us who were interested knew about anyway. So there's no point getting up in arms about it.

Why are you comparing the 1DX against the 5D2 instead of 1Ds3? There will be a 5D3 after the 1DX which will most likely use the same sensor, in the 5D price bracket, if you do not need the other 1D features and want to talk about how much you will have to spend.

Dec 21, 2011 at 12:22 AM
Ariel Bravy
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · 1DX review by TDP

Ralph. Um, wow...? I suppose that's one perspective...

Chris is definitely correct that this isn't meant to be an article about anything new, or IQ, especially since the camera he was given had sealed CF doors. Nevertheless I'm grateful to have this article.

As someone who cares more about the overall user experience, AF performance, customizability, ruggedness of the body, handling, battery life, ease of accessing controls, etc. as opposed to raw pixel peeping image quality, I'm grateful to find another article about something other than just image quality. (The journey, not the destination, though the destination is obviously important too. )

Appreciating what you have today is a good thing... but maybe that's just me.

Dec 21, 2011 at 05:52 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · 1DX review by TDP

Yes he say that a full Canon EOS 1D X review is planned. In the meantime he just enjoy a first look here.

Dec 21, 2011 at 06:08 AM
Chris Ventura
• • •
p.1 #7 · 1DX review by TDP

Ralph Conway wrote:

Facts:
The new Nikon D4 was rumored at ISO 100K and went down now to ISO 12.800 ...
I am sure ISO 51K at 1DX will be usable. If, and if the corrected 4D rumors are right, Nikon again is just dead as a competitor. Because they would be still behind 3-5 years in actual development. And Canon would stay as the WW leader in imaging. Still with 3 year old technologie: 5D MK II at 25% higher resolution and one stop less. At third of the price.

But the issue here is:
Whom should I trust who is talking about - instead
...Show more

So your facts are based on...rumor sites? And Nikon is dead as a competitor how? Last time I checked Nikon had superior noise handling, in both the D7000 and D700 compared to 5DMKII and 7D. Let's not even discuss AF...

Dec 21, 2011 at 06:20 AM
te4o
• •
p.1 #8 · 1DX review by TDP

Very curious what amount of this gapless microlenses, gapless 1.04 million Px LCD, and DIGIC5 will come up into a more affordable model with no matter how many MP.

Dec 21, 2011 at 06:46 AM
Dawei Ye
• • • •
p.1 #9 · 1DX review by TDP

Gapless Microlenses appeared in the 50D and that was a disaster.

It's just pointless jargon.

Dec 21, 2011 at 07:43 AM
Dawei Ye
• • • •
p.1 #10 · 1DX review by TDP

Ralph Conway wrote:
I am sure ISO 51K at 1DX will be usable.

I dunno...6 years ago we had the 5D released, where ISO 3200 was easily usable.

3 years later, we had the 5D2 released, where ISO 3200 was still considered the usable limit, perhaps ISO 6400 (arguably).

2 years after that, we got a 1D IV

In 5 years, we've barely improved 1 stop in usability

Consequently if we can only barely get a 1 stop improvement in 5 years between the 5D and 1DIV, I'm a bit sceptical that 51K, an improvement of 4 stops, is realistic for 1 year.

Dec 21, 2011 at 08:04 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

dolina
• • • •
p.1 #11 · 1DX review by TDP

This will be cheaper by August.

Dec 21, 2011 at 08:06 AM
melcat
• • •
p.1 #12 · 1DX review by TDP

It's not a "review", just marketing fluff.

Looking at the photo of the back, and comparing it to my own 1DS MkIII, I'm not sure where I'm supposed to put my thumb any more. Its tip will sit on the Movie/Live View button, interfering with a secure grip on the camera.

Perhaps his thumb is smaller than mine. Perhaps mine is large, but whoever originally designed the 1D MkIII and 1DS MkIII catered for that and extended the grip rubber right up. Perhaps Carnarthan simply didn't handle the camera enough to notice. He does mention that he isn't sure about the "nose relief".

Also no mention of battery life, which might be reduced quite a lot by the faster processors.

These are the type of things that will be addressed by real reviews. Until then, we don't know whether that "X" is really the kiss of death for the EOS system or a success.

Dec 21, 2011 at 08:57 AM
kewlcanon
• • • •
p.1 #13 · 1DX review by TDP

You've just made a Nikon fanboy mad

Ralph Conway wrote:

Dec 21, 2011 at 08:58 AM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.1 #14 · 1DX review by TDP

Dec 21, 2011 at 10:55 AM
robinlee
• •
p.1 #15 · 1DX review by TDP

Some posts here are so funny to read, thanks for the laugh

Dec 21, 2011 at 11:53 AM
stebesplace
• • •
p.1 #16 · 1DX review by TDP

$7K officially prices me well out of the market. I mean, even $4K for the Mark IV is steep, but one could actually save up and attain this within a period of time. I can tell this will best a lot of cameras out there, but they really are shooting through the roof price wise, pun intended. Hope the MAP pricing will be in a range people can afford, for what you are really getting...

Dec 21, 2011 at 11:58 AM
Pixel1970
• • •
p.1 #17 · 1DX review by TDP

Could they not hook the camera up via USB and download images direct from the camera?

Dec 21, 2011 at 02:25 PM
campyone
• •
p.1 #18 · 1DX review by TDP

chrisdee wrote:
Well, TDP guy did say there's nothing new in his article, from the beginning. He just compiled info available from various sources, which some of us who were interested knew about anyway. So there's no point getting up in arms about it.

Why are you comparing the 1DX against the 5D2 instead of 1Ds3? There will be a 5D3 after the 1DX which will most likely use the same sensor, in the 5D price bracket, if you do not need the other 1D features and want to talk about how much you will have to spend.

I don't think it's a certainty there will ever be a 5DIII. Obviously the 5DII won't go on forever and there will be something to replace it. But I think its replacement will be as different from what most people seem to be thinking of and talking about when they say "5DIII" (e.g. 30+ mpx) as the 1Dx is from what everyone was predicting as the replacement for the 1DsIII.

Dec 21, 2011 at 02:42 PM
M Lucca
• • •
p.1 #19 · 1DX review by TDP

I will not believe anything until Ken Rockwell reviews it. Thanks.

Dec 21, 2011 at 04:58 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · 1DX review by TDP

Did I seriously read that you think it won't be worth it, unless it's 25600/51000 ISo setting is like the 3200 of a 5d2....

Wow...I missed the ferry boat ride to fantasy land and I'm awaiting at the dock for the next arrival.

Dec 21, 2011 at 06:44 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password