Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Picked up a Logitech Performance MX mouse

stebesplace
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Picked up a Logitech Performance MX mouse

And it's pretty badass.

I had been battling BT issues with my Mac Pro for quite some time, and tried all sorts of things to get my Magic Mouse working 100% to no avail. I was going to grab a Razer Darthaddar (wired) but felt for the price, it lacked a couple key features that I'd honestly spend a bit more on, like programmable buttons. So on a review from a friend who pointed me to look at the Logitech, I took the advice and picked it up. Here's my brief story:

I had a Magic Mouse connected to my stock BT in the Mac Pro. Bad performance causing lag, etc. Picked up a BT adapter to plug into the back of my display instead. Performance increased 100%. It was great however, the Magic Mouse is uncomfy for me, though I'd still use it. So why did I get a Logitech? Because turning my display off, and then back on, required me to manually reconnect my BT devices which never worked properly. And even if I was able to get it working, it wasn't consistent. I moved the adapter to the tower, horrible performance. I then ran an extension cable (USB) up to my desk again, but alas, when I reboot it doesn't auto connect. I even tried unplugging the internal stock antenna.

After a good amount of testing, I came to the conclusion I needed a wired mouse. But then I figured I'd try a radio wireless and see if it would auto connect when I had it plugged into the monitor. That's why I got the Logitech wireless to test. Long story short, it's working as intended, and auto connects right away when I turn my display on. Performance is killer, and the software works great on Macs. I can customize the heck out of it which is great. I can also set DPI settings PER application, which is absolutely amazing and fantastic to switch between precise control in Photoshop, and less precise in Lightroom, and then even less precise while browsing the web. All automated.

All in all, 100% satisfied. If anyone has any Q's on this, let me know and I'll try to answer.

Dec 20, 2011 at 06:46 AM
15Bit
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Picked up a Logitech Performance MX mouse

I've had Logitech and Microsoft radio mice for a while now and have had no connectivity issues at all. They just work. I think the problem you have is Bluetooth, which whilst a clever idea, seems to be just full of problems. I never managed to get anything Bluetooth to work properly and i gave up on it years ago.

How is the tracking on the Logitech - its a darkfield sensor isn't it?

Dec 20, 2011 at 08:42 AM
stebesplace
• • •
p.1 #3 · Picked up a Logitech Performance MX mouse

15Bit wrote:
I've had Logitech and Microsoft radio mice for a while now and have had no connectivity issues at all. They just work. I think the problem you have is Bluetooth, which whilst a clever idea, seems to be just full of problems. I never managed to get anything Bluetooth to work properly and i gave up on it years ago.

How is the tracking on the Logitech - its a darkfield sensor isn't it?

Yeah I've officially given up on bluetooth mice. Keyboard, sure, as I am typing on my apple BT keyboard and it's fine.

So far I've had 99.9% consistency in tracking. It is the darkfield sensor. No dip from what I can perceive. Obviously this is NOT a synthetic test, but hard to do that anyway. Yeah, the BT route was a major PITA and it's too bad it didn't work out. But it's for the better because I finally feel confident about using a wireless 2.4GHz mouse.

THe back story is about 7, 8 years ago I had an old 900MHz wireless microsoft mouse. It was horrible, so I swore to use a wired mouse forever. Well once I started working on the Magic Mouse a few months ago, it was hard to go back to wired. Thankfully the wireless mice have advanced ALOT over the years, and this one is no exception. I'd say just about any 2.4GHz mouse should work well if you are tired of the BT frustrations. I've always liked Microsoft mice, usually over logitech, though they've come a long way here.

It seems with mice these days, it's either extreme gamer mice, or plain jane office cheap bulk mice. This one seems to be as good as a gamer mouse, but with more "professional" options available for application use.

Dec 20, 2011 at 08:48 AM
15Bit
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Picked up a Logitech Performance MX mouse

stebesplace wrote:
I've always liked Microsoft mice, usually over logitech, though they've come a long way here.

I'm actually quite disappointed with my MS mouse - the rubber on the scroll wheel disintegrated and fell off after about a year. The charging dock wasn't all that well designed either.

It seems with mice these days, it's either extreme gamer mice, or plain jane office cheap bulk mice. This one seems to be as good as a gamer mouse, but with more "professional" options available for application use.

I also struggle to find a mouse i like. I don't game any more, and i don't want a dozen programmable buttons. But the gaming mice seem to be the best quality and best design.

Dec 20, 2011 at 09:28 AM
stebesplace
• • •
p.1 #5 · Picked up a Logitech Performance MX mouse

15Bit wrote:
I'm actually quite disappointed with my MS mouse - the rubber on the scroll wheel disintegrated and fell off after about a year. The charging dock wasn't all that well designed either.

I also struggle to find a mouse i like. I don't game any more, and i don't want a dozen programmable buttons. But the gaming mice seem to be the best quality and best design.

After a TON of research, requirement #1 for the mouse was that it had to work with a Mac (and PC as well obviously). Many mice out there don't support Mac, so you basically can only use what they have to offer hardware wise. Alternatively, Steelseries lets you program ON the mouse since it has an ARM processor and memory on board. Pretty slick, but complex. That's on a few of their mice.

#2 requirement is that the mouse had to have SOME programmable buttons, but not be a game mouse that had as you say, 12 buttons for MMO's, etc. Sure, they can be programmed, but alas, overkill.

#3 was that I didn't want an ugly mouse, which a lot of these game mice are.

The rest of the requirements included fit, finish, Mac software drivers that actually work well, and that the wireless was consistent and strong.

That amazingly boiled things down to only a small handful. Out of there, I picked what I felt would offer the best "solution" meaning, Software, Hardware, and ultimately, longevity. I read too many reviews of Steelseries and Razer that crap out after only a year of use. Not as much on the Logitech's.

Yeah Microsoft is in a weird direction with their mice these days, so I've ditched them.

Dec 20, 2011 at 09:34 AM
redcrown
• • •
p.1 #6 · Picked up a Logitech Performance MX mouse

You don't mention mouse pad. My experience with Logitech wireless showed me that a top quality mouse pad made a world of difference in trackability, consistency, and overall feel.

I've used X-Trac and Razor pads. They both work great when new, but the X-Trac wears out fast. After only about 6 months, the X-Trac surface gets very smooth. Tracking stays OK, but the "feel" changes. The Razor Destructor is indestructable. I've had one for about 2 years now and the surface looks and acts good as new.

My only other problem is premature left-click failure on just about any mouse, especially Logitech. Heavy use of Photoshop means a lot of left-clicking. I have a shelf full of dead mice. Average life is 10 to 12 months.

Dec 20, 2011 at 03:16 PM
stebesplace
• • •
p.1 #7 · Picked up a Logitech Performance MX mouse

Yeah forgot to mention that. I use a generic flat pad, about 2mm thick that's 12" by 14" in size. I'd like to get a better pad like the Razer at some point as I'm sure that will help things out as well with this logitech. Thanks for the tip on durability with those.

When you scour the net and read reviews, it seems LMB or RMB failure is imminent with mice once you get to the 1 year mark for certain brands, and I suppose Logitech is no different. I did notice more reviews for Razers and Steelseries, etc., probably because those individuals are gaming like crazy. I had a Microsoft Explorer 2.0 for a long time, that died after a couple of years, then a basic Microsoft Optical which I still have, but gave that up for the Magic Mouse awhile back, and we know how that has turned out. That MS Optical Wheel mouse lasted be for years until the quality started to show when I switched over to the mac.

I was tempted to pick up a Bamboo Wacom however, I don't do the type of illustration work nor major image editing that one normally benefits from using a tablet for. So I opted to get as good of a mouse as I could instead.

Dec 20, 2011 at 06:34 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · Picked up a Logitech Performance MX mouse

stebesplace wrote:
And it's pretty badass.

I'm diggin' mine, too ...

BTW ... for those who aren't familiar ... there's also a "hidden" button under the thumb rest ... you just kinda "squeeze down" to activate.

Dec 20, 2011 at 06:42 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

stebesplace
• • •
p.1 #9 · Picked up a Logitech Performance MX mouse

^ It's pretty good for things like Expose, or for some window tile application in windows, etc. Saves a keystroke if you can help it. In fact, I didn't even realize it was there for awhile until i accidentally pressed it!

Dec 20, 2011 at 06:52 PM
15Bit
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Picked up a Logitech Performance MX mouse

stebesplace wrote:
I was tempted to pick up a Bamboo Wacom however, I don't do the type of illustration work nor major image editing that one normally benefits from using a tablet for. So I opted to get as good of a mouse as I could instead.

I've been eyeing up the Bamboo's also. I have a Graphire 2 and a Graphire 4, both of which still work ok. Indeed the Graphire 2 is my main "mouse" in the office and still sees daily use. The Graphire 4 is at home and used for PS work only as it, annoyingly, came without a mouse. I'm thinking of getting work to pay for a Bamboo just to try it out.

Dec 20, 2011 at 06:54 PM
stebesplace
• • •
p.1 #11 · Picked up a Logitech Performance MX mouse

Hell, if your work will pay for it, I'd say get that going!

Dec 20, 2011 at 08:26 PM
Aidanbell

p.1 #12 · Picked up a Logitech Performance MX mouse

I got a Performance MX too and it's a great mouse, however I'm completely baffled why so many people seem delighted that there's no longer a cradle..?? I much (much) prefer to simply, easily and quickly pop the mouse into a cradle whenever I'm not using it, in order to keep the battery topped up. Now I have firstly to remember to switch the thing on and off - which was never an issue before - and when I want to charge it I have to plug in a cable rather than simply dropping it into the cradle. A major step backwards in my books.

Dec 22, 2011 at 01:28 PM
jkanaly

p.1 #13 · Picked up a Logitech Performance MX mouse

I've had an MX Revolution for a few years now, and it has been working well since day one. It has the second "wheel" (not really a wheel, more of a toggle switch) where the tip of my thumb rests, other than that, looks similar to the Performance MX. That said, hoping to get the apple track pad to replace the mouse. Can"t wait to work through LR and PS with the track pad in my lap!

Dec 24, 2011 at 02:14 AM
TrojanHorse
• • • •
p.1 #14 · Picked up a Logitech Performance MX mouse

I've been using a logitech MX510 wired mouse for years now on my desktop... I have to say I hate the wire though but it's been dead reliable so it soldiers on. It bonks into other things on the desk and just... bugs me, but again, it's been great. I have about 4 wireless logitech mouses (M505) for various laptops. They're smaller but for some reason the form factor just works. Other than the scroll button clicking and also clicking side to side, there are no programmable functions.

The wireless ones have those nano wireless connectors (not BT) and have been nearly bulletproof.

Your new mouse may prompt me off my couch to replace my desktop mouse - it looks great.

Logitech mice have been really good to me, I can't see buying any other kind.

Dec 24, 2011 at 10:39 PM
R. Francois
• • • •
p.1 #15 · Picked up a Logitech Performance MX mouse

Love mine too. But People alwaysask me: why tis Windows mouse on your mac. Pfff

Anyhoo i also have the Logitech g700. That one is ideal For gaming

Dec 25, 2011 at 09:41 AM
stebesplace
• • •
p.1 #16 · Picked up a Logitech Performance MX mouse

I wanted to get back to a few folks here, and address some things.

I do wish this had a charging cradle. That would be really REALLY nice since while the USB I plug in overnight, using the USB plugged in is kind of annoying, though not terrible.

jkranaly - let me know how you like the trackpad. I'd love to get it for general use, but I'm not a fan of trackpads on laptops in general, and while gestures would be great and all, it's not precise for doing any real work in LR or PS that I can tell other than perhaps catalog work.

Trojan - it's worth looking into. Fits me like a glove, and I have a large hand (I'm 6'3"). It really does fit like a glove, so to speak.

Now having been using it for a week, I can still say it's been my favorite mouse. I sold my Magic Mouse on CL a few days ago and never looked back. My only issue, is the horizontal scroll. Poorly implemented, and could have been better. Ohh well, I don't horizontal scroll all that often anyway.

Dec 27, 2011 at 08:25 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password