Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Need help selecting lighting for small home studio

karim1980
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Need help selecting lighting for small home studio

Hi guys,

I recently purchased 3 chimera softboxes, 2 are 24"x32" and the third softbox is 36"x48" with the 40 degree grid. Now, I need lighting and I am thinking about going with Elinchrom but having a hard time deciding which to get. I really like the BxRI 500s but I am also strongly considering the RX 300 or 600 strobes as well. I also want to do everything wireless and have everything tethered to my computer and the built in skyport I have heard many great things about it.

I would love to light all three softboxes and use them with my studio setting but buying three storbes will run me quite a lot and I am looking for some suggestions that might fit my needs. I wil not be buying kits as I already have the softboxes and stands for them as well.

My current gear is following:
Canon 5d MK II
Canon 70-200 MK II
Canon 28-70
Canon 580 EXII

I would love to get some ideas for someone that is starting new and what setup would work best for me.

Thank you,
Karim.

Dec 20, 2011 at 02:16 AM
hugowolf
• • •
p.1 #2 · Need help selecting lighting for small home studio

An interesting approach, buying light modifiers before lights. In the same vein, perhaps speedrings would come next?

Dec 20, 2011 at 04:11 AM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Need help selecting lighting for small home studio

Any of the units mentioned will work, as would less expensive brands. Given your methodology for buying the gear just get what fits your remaining budget.

Dec 20, 2011 at 01:49 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · Need help selecting lighting for small home studio

karim1980 wrote:
...I am thinking about going with Elinchrom but having a hard time deciding which to get. I really like the BxRI 500s but I am also strongly considering the RX 300 or 600 strobes as well. I also want to do everything wireless and have everything tethered to my computer and the built in skyport I have heard many great things about it.

If you want to get the most out of the Skyports -- including the new Skyport USB that plugs into a computer, or the even newer Skyport WiFi that can be controlled from an iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad -- then you need a strobe with an "RX" designation. You mentioned the RX 300 and RX 600 already, but you could also look at the Ranger RX line including the battery version.

Dec 21, 2011 at 08:05 AM
karim1980
• •
p.1 #5 · Need help selecting lighting for small home studio

BrianO wrote:
If you want to get the most out of the Skyports -- including the new Skyport USB that plugs into a computer, or the even newer Skyport WiFi that can be controlled from an iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad -- then you need a strobe with an "RX" designation. You mentioned the RX 300 and RX 600 already, but you could also look at the Ranger RX line including the battery version.

Thank you Brian for your suggestion. After doing some more reading and researching I came across profoto strobes and am debating between Elinchrom or Profotos. On this same forum there is a member selling the kit for $1500.00 which includes the following:

Compact 600 (250W modeling light)
-Compact Plus 600 (250W modeling light)
-Compact 300 (150W modeling light)
-(2) Profoto Zoom Reflectors
-(2) spare modeling lamps (150W, 250W)
-(2) Custom Tenba Air Cases -

I am wondering if this is a really good deal as the compact series is discontinued too but it still has a very good reputation. What do you guys think?

Dec 21, 2011 at 10:42 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Need help selecting lighting for small home studio

Profoto has a very good reputation, it's the brand most-used by rental houses, there's a huge user base, etc.

Like Elinchrom, they also have a wireless computer control setup, Profoto Air, but the Compacts would be trigger-only rather than full remote control. That's not a real problem, though.

The kit you list above looks like a very good starter set, and a good entree into the Profoto system.

Dec 22, 2011 at 04:01 AM
hugowolf
• • •
p.1 #7 · Need help selecting lighting for small home studio

The only real problem with the Profoto compacts was the lack of output range. The Compact 300 only has a two stop range 300-75 Ws, and the 600s a four stop range 600-38 Ws.

Personally, I would look at something with remote control like the Buff Einsteins, Profoto D1 Airs, Elinchrom RX, or Hensel Pro Plus.

Dec 22, 2011 at 05:37 AM
karim1980
• •
p.1 #8 · Need help selecting lighting for small home studio

Okay, so I decided to go with the Elinchrom BXRI 500 lights. I have posted my listing in the buy and sell but will most likely get the kit from B&H if I cannot find it by end of this week. I am tired of researching now and although I had my heart set on Profoto, the additional cost of accessories and speedrings and reflectors were too much. As a beginner in lighting, I believe this kit will be a good start and hopefully should last me a while. I will definitely update this thread once I have the strobes and will also provide sample pics .

Dec 22, 2011 at 06:42 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

hugowolf
• • •
p.1 #9 · Need help selecting lighting for small home studio

With the BXri, you do not have tethered computer control.

Dec 22, 2011 at 09:05 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · Need help selecting lighting for small home studio

karim1980 wrote:
...I also want to do everything wireless and have everything tethered to my computer and the built in skyport I have heard many great things about it.

karim1980 wrote:
Okay, so I decided to go with the Elinchrom BXRI 500 lights.

hugowolf wrote:
With the BXri, you do not have tethered computer control.

^ This ^

Karim, if computer control of Elinchrom lights is still important to you, you need to get Elinchrom units with an "RX" designation.

The BXRI 500 will allow triggering and remote output control with an Elinchrom Skyport Transmitter, either handheld or hot shoe-mounted, but not with the USB or WiFi Skyport controllers, and you will not have all the functions that RX-series units would, such as flash counter, strobing, etc.

If full remote control isn't required, then I think you'll be happy with BXRIs. Just being able to adjust the power level up and down from the camera position is more than enough for most people, and these will do that just fine.

Dec 22, 2011 at 09:54 PM
karim1980
• •
p.1 #11 · Need help selecting lighting for small home studio

Brian,

Thank you for the insight and Thank you hugowolf as well. Brian, you have been so far quite helpful for me and I very much appreciate that. I was reading last night again about the D1 profoto light kit and they are $2379.00 for the kit and I really want to buy that kit, but then again the build quality, 10 fstops, AIR feature which is by far the best,....I feel so undecisive.

Elinchrom 2 monolight kit with EL skyport $1699.99
Profoto 2 monoolight kit with built in AIR $2379.00

I know big difference in price, but i spoke with my wife and explained to her and I think I may have the green light to go either or and I am thinking should I go with Profotos?

This decision is taking up so much of my time....ok must go to work now .

Karim.

Dec 23, 2011 at 11:58 AM
dmacmillan
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Need help selecting lighting for small home studio

Tell us more about your plans. Are you trying to start a portrait business? How large is your shooting space, especially ceiling height? Tell us why you bought your modifiers first and why you chose the particular modifiers you have.

Dec 23, 2011 at 12:46 PM
karim1980
• •
p.1 #13 · Need help selecting lighting for small home studio

I am trying to do portraits, glamorous shots, kids pictures, families and hopefully a few weddings as a second shooter to a professional. Ceilings in basement are 9' high and I have decent space in my basement.

Reason why I went ahead and purchased modifiers first because I got a very very good deal on the softboxes an stands and the grid and I was too good to pass up on. I realized after buyin that maybe I should have bought the lights first but honestly if I do sell my current modifiers which I do t think I will, I will still make money on it. But being very new to lighting gear and equipment I didn't think ahead too much before buyin modifiers and I was dead set on elinchrom lights too.

I already had few inquiries to shoot a small wedding as a primary photog but I politely told the bride that they should have someone else and I will be glad to shoot alongside the pro. I live in a small community and there is not much competition and the photogs who are here they should not call themselves professional by any means. I love shooting sports too and am hoping to shoot a few basketball games and volleyball. I know for sure I will be shooting lot of ice hockey as that is very huge especially I. The part of town I am in and I love hockey myself.

I hope that narrows down to what I am trying to accomplish. I have a well established business that operates 24-7 and I always enjoyed photography and I am fortunate to be in a position where I am able to dedicate extra time to it and if I can make money part time from it then great, if not then I will still be shooting Because I love capturing moments.

Dec 23, 2011 at 03:00 PM
dmacmillan
• • • •
p.1 #14 · Need help selecting lighting for small home studio

Thanks. Makes sense. Hope you have fun!

Dec 23, 2011 at 03:52 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · Need help selecting lighting for small home studio

karim1980 wrote:
...I was reading last night again about the D1 profoto light kit and they are $2379.00 for the kit and I really want to buy that kit... Elinchrom 2 monolight kit with EL skyport $1699.99 ...Profoto 2 monoolight kit with built in AIR $2379.00

I really like the D1, but the Elinchrom Style RX is very good, too. Both would have a lot of functionality, so it mostly comes down to budget. Get the best you can afford, but don't put a stress on your cash flow by getting more than is comfortable.

I've used the computer interfaces of both products, and while they're different from each other, both are easy to use and powerful.

Dec 23, 2011 at 06:28 PM
karim1980
• •
p.1 #16 · Need help selecting lighting for small home studio

Thanks Brian, I had various people tell me to start with ALien Bees or Einstein, or even the Eli D-lite 4 kit and learn it and then progress into something more pro level. I do understand their point, but I would rather buy decent lights now and work with them and then if necessary upgrade from there. I hate buying and selling because knowing myself and how lazy I am, I would hate to climb ladders each time to play with settings.

I am just wondering if I go for the Elinchrom Digital style 600RX, and if I also want to use my 580 ex II wireless, do I need to get a seperate universal transmitter?

Dec 24, 2011 at 02:54 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password