Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · What is a good beginner's lighting setup?

greaneyc

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · What is a good beginner's lighting setup?

Hello!
I've decided to take the plunge into the world of lighting. I've never really used any lighting equipment before, but want to broaden my abilities, and so have decided to try some stuff out. With that being said, I don't want to spend more than $200-$300, to ease my way gently into it. My question then is this: What should I buy to start? Here's a bit of info that should help:

1. I will primarily be using it for portraiture
  2. I would like it to be portable
  3. It needs to be versatile, long-lasting, and somewhat easy to operate.

Thanks!

Dec 19, 2011 at 05:44 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · What is a good beginner's lighting setup?

greaneyc wrote:
...I don't want to spend more than $200-$300... I would like it to be portable...

It depends on what you mean by "portable." If you mean a battery-powered strobe you're not going to get much for $200-$300.

If you mean you can haul it in your car and then set it up with extension cords, that opens a few more doors.

Here's one option that just squeaks in under $300:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/541986-REG/Westcott_220_Strobelite_Studio_Kit_120VAC.html

You will want to add more lights and modifiers at some point, but starting with one light and one reflector will do in the beginning.

Here's a short (4 minute) promotional video from Profoto that shows what can be done with one light and one reflector, using a softbox in this case:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDbRaBXsXco

Dec 19, 2011 at 08:29 PM
Elan II
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · What is a good beginner's lighting setup?

Tight budget. I'll give this a try. I'm not sure before typing if this will meet your budget though. This is a Strobist setup, no cords.

2 SB-24's - $140
2 ebay 7' light stands - $60
2 black/white umbrellas - $30
Set of ebay radio triggers with 2 receivers - $30

So that's $260. I would add:

1 SB-20 - $40
Back light stand - $15
Small white umbrella - $10
Additional receiver - $15

A much better kit for $80 more.

Dec 20, 2011 at 03:05 AM
Photodan34
• •
p.1 #4 · What is a good beginner's lighting setup?

At that budget, I'd start with borrowing stuff to see what you like, then create a business plan that includes a small start up loan to get what you want.

Elan II has good recommendations.

Dec 20, 2011 at 05:29 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Light is Good
• • •
p.1 #5 · What is a good beginner's lighting setup?

I'm in the same boat as you. I've been reading that last few nights: http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/03/lighting-101.html?m=1

There is a link to a "starving student" kit that will fit your budget. Probably will order one myself. Keep in mind I am a total newb also so I can't say whether or not if the kit is a good deal.

Ansley

Dec 22, 2011 at 03:12 AM
dtaylor52

p.1 #6 · What is a good beginner's lighting setup?

If you are just starting out, I would very highly recomend you find lights that have modeling lights included. This will aid you by allowing you to "see" the light as you are working. Westcott has a 200 w/s mono light that has really good reviews. Each mono light is $229. You can start with 1 and use a reflector for fill. Later add a second for fill, then a 3rd for seperation.

Dec 22, 2011 at 03:52 AM
bbasiaga
• • •
p.1 #7 · What is a good beginner's lighting setup?

The strobist kits mentioned above are ppretty good. I bought one to use with a 580 ex already owned and found all the stuff to be of good quality. Not the best, but you arent paying top end prices either. I dont see needing to replace any of the parts for quite some time. If you g the studio/mono light path i'd look at the alien bees lights. They are highly regarded and not much more expensive than the less recommended entry level brands. I didn't go this way after seeing what the capabilities of the speedlights really are on places like strobist.com. Speedlights are s portable and light, its a lot less work to get them ou and mess with them than it is the studiostuff.

Dec 22, 2011 at 04:13 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password