Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Curse of the HP B9180 Printer

mike_b

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Curse of the HP B9180 Printer

I'm still using my original 2007 vintage model of the B9180. And, installation of the drivers for Windows 7 went OK. Print quality is fantastic.

But, sometimes I'm getting incomplete prints,. Also, it sometimes stops dead with an error code of 0405C8FD - which can only be cleared by pulling the power plug. This error code is unknown on the HP website, and everywhere that I can think to look.

I guess that a paper sensor problem might be causing the incomplete prints. Presumeably, the plastic flip-flop 'needle' in the rear roller assembly is the paper sensor (seen from the rear with the back cover removed) - if it is, there seems to be little chance of accessing it, let alone replacing it.

1. Does anyone know what the error code means, or where to find out, please.
2. Is the paper sensor a probable cause of incomplete prints?

The print quality is so good that it is worth trying to fix the problems.

Dec 19, 2011 at 04:52 PM
elkhornsun
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Curse of the HP B9180 Printer

This is no longer a printer that HP supports. I bought the extended warranty which has been a blessing with this printer. I have had to replace all the print heads twice which had I had to pay for them would have cost me over $900.

With my last call for a new head the person at HP tried to get me to downgrade to an officejet printer stating that HP was no longer going to be selling standalone inkjet printers unless you jump up to the designjet line.

My next printer is going to be from Canon or Epson and based on my past experiences with printers from these two companies I will be buying an extended warranty again.

Overall it is cheaper to have a lab do the prints and gain the benefit of longer likely archival life at the same time.

Dec 19, 2011 at 11:12 PM
Sarsfield
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Curse of the HP B9180 Printer

Mine's sitting in a box in the basement after it started spitting out paper and then it would tell me, "I'm out of paper". Beautiful prints, horrible company to try and deal with.

I bought the Canon 9500 and I'll never look back.

What a messed up company.

Dec 20, 2011 at 04:08 AM
mike_b

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Curse of the HP B9180 Printer

I'm amazed to see how problems with this printer are so widespread. Perhaps I shouldn't complain as mine has given great service for 4 years, whereas some people have had four replacements in that time!

I will definitely test out the suggestion of using a print lab - the prices seem to be lower than I expected. If that works well, I may get all A3 and larger prints done that way, and buy an A4 printer for my regular work. Trouble is, at a quick glance, there don't seem to be any A4 printers aimed at the top quality print market. There is no problem finding A3 printers such as the Canon 9500, at a price. Does anyone know of an A4 printer producing prints of the quality I have got from my B9180, or the Canon 9500?

Dec 20, 2011 at 10:32 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password