Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · De-crudifying SB600 battery compartment?

awacs
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · De-crudifying SB600 battery compartment?

Well, I suck. I left a set of alkaline batteries in my SB600 somewhere past the legal limit. Not only are the contacts somewhat corroded (which I think I can attack with contact cleaner?), but the plastic battery slots are covered with considerable corrosive crud. It was hard to get the old batteries out!

What's the best strategy for cleaning this up?

Thanks,
Aram

Dec 19, 2011 at 03:32 AM
Mattski1
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · De-crudifying SB600 battery compartment?

Age old receipe: mix water and baking soda and use it to clean the batter compartment. Rinse/repeat/rinse/allow the flash to thoroughly dry and you'll be good as new. The mix isn't too critical - try 5 parts water to 1 part baking soda to start. Try dipping q-tips in the mixture to get to the hard-to-reach places.

Works wonders on car batteries, too.

Dec 19, 2011 at 04:29 AM
awacs
• •
p.1 #3 · De-crudifying SB600 battery compartment?

Awesome. Thanks. Makes sense!

Aram

Dec 19, 2011 at 04:39 AM
PShizzy
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · De-crudifying SB600 battery compartment?

I believe vinegar also works well to remove this. Q-tips are a must.

Dec 19, 2011 at 05:49 AM
Keith B.
• • •
p.1 #5 · De-crudifying SB600 battery compartment?

Also, a can of Caig Labs product 'DeOxIt D5' is worth having around as a general contact cleaner/anti-corrosion treatment and cleaner. Apply it with Q-Tips in tight places that you don't want to flood with spray.

Dec 19, 2011 at 06:19 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

galenapass
• • • •
p.1 #6 · De-crudifying SB600 battery compartment?

Hold on here. There are 2 recommendation in this thread - one to use a mild base for cleaning (baking soda), and one to use a mild acid (vinegar). Chances are you have an alkaline battery corrosion in which case potassium hydroxide will be leaked (white crusty residue). Alkaline battery corrosion should be cleaned with vinegar, not baking soda. Acid battery corrosion is cleaned with baking soda.

Dec 19, 2011 at 06:46 AM
Chris S.
• • •
p.1 #7 · De-crudifying SB600 battery compartment?

Also, if the offending batteries happened to be Duracell brand, the company will repair or replace your flash at no charge, as per the guarantee on the back of the package. I would have doubted this, but recently had reason to take them up on their guarantee after a single battery in a high-quality headlamp leaked without having been old, discharged, or overheated. I sent Duracell the damaged lamp, leaky battery (which I had to drill to remove), and a URL to verify replacement cost. It took about 10 weeks, but sure enough, Duracell sent me a check for full replacement cost, an apology letter, and a coupon for free batteries. Other than the processing time, there was zero hassle.

I've since looked at the packaging on other brands of batteries to see if a similar guarantee is offered. So far, I haven't seen one, other than on Duracell packages. I hesitate to plug for any brand, but solid customer service deserves a mention, and if your batteries happen to have been Duracell, they will likely deal with the problem for you.

Cheers,

--Chris

Dec 19, 2011 at 06:53 AM
Ruahrc
• • •
p.1 #8 · De-crudifying SB600 battery compartment?

Interesting story. I had a similar one. A Maglite flashlight that had Duracell batteries in it stored in my car for a few years. Batteries leaked and sealed the battery compartment shut. Couldn't even get the end cap off with a wrench. Found the info on the Maglite website saying that if your batteries leaked and sealed your flashlight shut, if they were energizer or Duracell, you'd get a free replacement. Sent my flashlight in, told them I was pretty sure Duracells were inside. I presume they drilled/sawed it open and confirmed, then sent me a replacement free of charge. They state that they have a special agreement with Duracell and Energizer about leaking batteries, if you use other battery brands you can get a replacement for like $10 instead of free.

Nice to know Duracell honors a similar policy for other electronics.

Norman

Dec 20, 2011 at 06:51 AM
Ho1972
• • •
p.1 #9 · De-crudifying SB600 battery compartment?

Just a word of caution about the flash: any leaking battery goo that found its way to the circuits inside the flash may cause grief down the road. You may want to take the battery manufacturer up on the warranty...

Dec 20, 2011 at 10:35 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password