Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · 3880 Accurate PS Print Sizing?

Mark Sisco
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · 3880 Accurate PS Print Sizing?

I am fairly new to the printing game (Epson 3880). I am using 11x17 paper for the first time, and in this case, printing an 8x12 print on the 11x17 sheet. When I print, the print size is coming out smaller than 8x12 by a quarter inch or so in both length and width.

I can't choose "borderless" in the print properties since this is not a standard paper size.

Appreciate any help with the settings to get my 8x12 to really be 8x12. FWIW, the scaled print size in the PS "Print" box shows 11x17, and I have not chosen "Scale to Media". In print settings, I have sheet size, paper size, and output paper all set to 17x11. Fit to page is also chosen.

Thanks!

Dec 19, 2011 at 03:23 AM
matthewbmedia
• • •
p.1 #2 · 3880 Accurate PS Print Sizing?

11x17 is a standard epson size - In the page setup choose Tabloid, and Borderless Auto Expand I believe

Dec 19, 2011 at 04:12 AM
Mark Sisco
• • • •
p.1 #3 · 3880 Accurate PS Print Sizing?

I don't see any options called "Tabloid," but I do see 11x17 under US Ansi. I missed this before.

I would still like some help understanding how to get this right for non-standard sizes, and overall how to properly set sizes (Scale to fit or not, fit to page vs. custom, proper settings for maximizing full bleed without losing too much of the image, etc.).

Dec 19, 2011 at 05:11 AM
Matt OHarver
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · 3880 Accurate PS Print Sizing?

I don't have your particular printer, so I don't know the software, but I print on a Canon Pro 9000 II and when I have a print like that smaller on paper then print. I open the image in PS and add canvas in white to it to match the paper size. So if my image is 12x18 and I'm printing on 13x19 I'll add .5 inches of white canvas on each side.

I do the same with 11x14 printed on 11x17 paper.

Dec 19, 2011 at 05:23 AM
Mark Sisco
• • • •
p.1 #5 · 3880 Accurate PS Print Sizing?

Matt, I did exactly what you outlined. My 8x12 image was on an 11x17 canvas. Apologies for failing to mention this.

PS must be slightly "shrinking" the entire canvas, and thus the 8x12 is also smaller. But for the life of me I cannot figure out why or how to address it.

Dec 19, 2011 at 03:01 PM
redcrown
• • •
p.1 #6 · 3880 Accurate PS Print Sizing?

I think you identified your problem. You are NOT printing an 8x12 image on an 11x17 paper. You are printing an 11x17 image on 11x17 paper, and some part of your workflow is confused about borders so it's shrinking the 11x17 image to fit.

Don't do that. Size your image to 8x12. I do it all the time on an Epson 3880 (and an Epson 2200 before that) with no problem. Including custom paper sizes. I cut 8.5 x 11 sheets in half to make 5x7 prints. The "half sheet" is a custom paper size. Prints are exactly 5x7.

Dec 19, 2011 at 05:59 PM
Mark Sisco
• • • •
p.1 #7 · 3880 Accurate PS Print Sizing?

redcrown wrote:
I think you identified your problem. You are NOT printing an 8x12 image on an 11x17 paper. You are printing an 11x17 image on 11x17 paper, and some part of your workflow is confused about borders so it's shrinking the 11x17 image to fit.

Don't do that. Size your image to 8x12. I do it all the time on an Epson 3880 (and an Epson 2200 before that) with no problem. Including custom paper sizes. I cut 8.5 x 11 sheets in half to make 5x7 prints. The "half sheet" is a custom paper size. Prints are exactly 5x7.

I understand your approach, but I do not understand how mine can be causing the issue I am seeing. You are right, I am printing an 11x17 on 11x17 paper. It just happens that much of the 11x17 paper is white, with an 8x12 area that is an image. So, why would the 8x12 portion measure exactly 8x12 in PS within the 11x17 boundaries, yet not turn out 8x12 when printed?

Dec 19, 2011 at 07:18 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

redcrown
• • •
p.1 #8 · 3880 Accurate PS Print Sizing?

Mark,

I can't help much because I never print borderless. One reason for that is the numerous problems I've heard from people who try to do it. The logic involved in the various pieces of software (Photoshop, Epson print driver) required to print borderless is tricky.

I hope you understand that when you expand your image (canvas) to be exactly equal to your paper size, the software does not know or care if part of the canvas is blank white. The software will still try to "fit" the image into the paper and will shrink the image to do that. To control (eliminate) the shrink you have to invoke borderless printing and get all it's settings perfect.

Here is an old post where one user describes how to do that:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1013396

Here is another page with video describing borderless printing on roll paper. Notice that the video says make your image 1/4 inch wider than your paper in order to compensate for the shrink.
http://blog.lexjet.com/2011/02/22/borderless-printing-through-photoshop-and-the-epson-driver/

But back to basics, you don't need to fool with borderless printing to print your 8x12 image on an 11x17 paper and get an image that is truly 8x12. Just leave the image size at 8x12. Don't expand the image canvas to 11x17. That way, the image fits easily withing the paper size and none of the "shrink to fit" logic in the software will come into play.

Dec 20, 2011 at 04:58 AM
matthewbmedia
• • •
p.1 #9 · 3880 Accurate PS Print Sizing?

If you set it to Borderless "auto expand" you will essentially get no "scaling to fit" in the printer driver.

Dec 20, 2011 at 05:03 AM
Mark Sisco
• • • •
p.1 #10 · 3880 Accurate PS Print Sizing?

Thanks guys. You've given me several points to consider and try here.

Dec 20, 2011 at 11:25 AM
timgangloff
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · 3880 Accurate PS Print Sizing?

Not sure if you are using Windows or not, but I've found Qimgae software to be of great value. I use PS to fix my images and Qimage to print them. I've had it for 8 years or so and the free lifetime updates are great. With qimage, I'd set the paper size to 11x17, set the print size to 8x12 and hit the print button. Sorry that I can't help with your PS printing issues. Now, if I'd only have gotten a nickle for every time I've recommended.

Dec 25, 2011 at 08:14 PM
kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #12 · 3880 Accurate PS Print Sizing?

The difficulties you're having with printing is part of what I call the Epson conspiracy: make it easy to waste ink and paper...

Like Tim, I've found that Qimage makes printing easy---and no more Epson conspiracy.

Dec 25, 2011 at 09:40 PM
Peter Le
• • •
p.1 #13 · 3880 Accurate PS Print Sizing?

WoW....this thread is an example of how to make something very simple......very complicated. No reason to enlarge canvas size.....just set image size in Photoshop, set paper size in Epson driver.....press print. I have been using Epson printers for ten years or so...from a R800 to a 7890 with many in between....normal paper sizes, custom paper sizes and borderless.......never a problem....no signs of a conspiracy if you just use common logic.......

Dec 27, 2011 at 04:28 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password