Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · 20D's top wheel slipping

umihoshijima
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · 20D's top wheel slipping

My 20D has slowly developed a problem with the top wheel. Every now and then, the wheel seems to disengage from the rotary encoder - it does not make the "click" as I turn it and the values do not change in the camera. It solves itself if I play with the dial a bit, but it does get frustrating every now and then (luckily I don't do paid photography gigs so it's not the end of the world if I lose a minute or two here and there, but it's definitely not optimal). Is there an easy fix, or has the part just run its course?

Dec 19, 2011 at 12:26 AM
vince_ross

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · 20D's top wheel slipping

You could try replacing it yourself, I have ordered parts direct from Canon before for small fixes (not sure if this classifies as a small fix though).
I have a 20D parts catalog in PDF format I'd be happy to send your way if you PM me your email address. That way it would give you an idea of what you might be getting into.

Dec 19, 2011 at 02:10 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · 20D's top wheel slipping

umihoshijima wrote:
My 20D has slowly developed a problem with the top wheel. Every now and then, the wheel seems to disengage from the rotary encoder - it does not make the "click" as I turn it and the values do not change in the camera.

It could just have a build-up of gunk that prevents it from fully engaging the other gear/pawl/whatever. (I've never looked at a schematic of the 20D, but that's a common problem in some other mechanical devices that I'm familiar with.)

Dec 19, 2011 at 08:48 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password