Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · 580 EX flash and Av mode setting

docsmiles17
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · 580 EX flash and Av mode setting

I dont shoot much indoor with flash but shot an event recently that required flash and had trouble shooting in Av mode. The fastest shutter I could get was of 1.5sec. Camera(5d) would only give reasonable shutter with P mode or full auto. I read manuals for both flash and camera and couldnt figure out what setting I am missing.

What am I missing or does camera/flash need to be serviced?

Dec 18, 2011 at 05:47 AM
robstein
• • •
p.1 #2 · 580 EX flash and Av mode setting

AV mode will expose for the amp light and fill flash.... There is a custom setting in the camera to force a faster shutter speed if you prefer.... or just use M on camera with eTTL on flash.

Dec 18, 2011 at 05:49 AM
TrojanHorse
• • • •
p.1 #3 · 580 EX flash and Av mode setting

Shoot manual, otherwise the camera will try to balance the background with the subject and usually you don't want that.

Dec 18, 2011 at 06:38 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · 580 EX flash and Av mode setting

Think of AV/TV as fill modes .
I know it sounds counter intuative but it's easier with ETTL to put the camera in manual and choose your settings and then let the flash work it out for itself.

Dec 18, 2011 at 08:15 AM
Dawei Ye
• • • •
p.1 #5 · 580 EX flash and Av mode setting

I use AV indoors with bounce flash, but it is risky in that you potentially get shutter drag if you suddenly have a very dark background

There is also risk when using M in that you get underexposed (or sometimes overexposed) backgrounds, and most people seem to think an underexposed/overexposed background is bad, but not as bad as getting your shot ruined by motion blur due to shutter drag in AV mode.

Dec 18, 2011 at 08:47 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · 580 EX flash and Av mode setting

docsmiles17 wrote:
I dont shoot much indoor with flash but shot an event recently that required flash and had trouble shooting in Av mode. The fastest shutter I could get was of 1.5sec. ...What am I missing or does camera/flash need to be serviced?

As mentioned above, that's how Av Mode is designed to work on Canon cameras; it normally will set the shutter speed needed to properly expose the background, with the flash acting as either key or fill on the subject.

You can, however, change the operation with Custom Function I-7 on the 5D Mark II (and 7D):

0 = Automatic Shutter Speed. This is the default mode.
1 = Automatic Shutter Speed With Limits; 1/200 (1/250) - 1/60.
2 = Fixed Shutter Speed at 1/200 (1/250).

On the original 5D, it's Custom Function 03, and there are only two choices:

0 = Automatic Shutter Speed.
1 = Fixed Shutter Speed at 1/200.

docsmiles17 wrote:
...I read manuals for both flash and camera and couldnt figure out what setting I am missing.

On the 5D Mark II it's on page 194 of the Instruction Manual, and for the original 5D it's on page 151.

I use setting 1 most of the time, unless I'm doing a formal portrait and have a tripod; then I'll use 0...or more likely full Manual mode.

Dec 18, 2011 at 09:22 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · 580 EX flash and Av mode setting

BTW, the Canon manuals are fine for a quick reference/refresher, but they're a bit terse. If you want to get a lot more out of Canon Speedlites than you otherwise might, Syl Arena's Speedliter's Handbook is a wealth of information.

http://www.amazon.com/Speedliters-Handbook-Learning-Craft-Speedlites/dp/032171105X

Dec 18, 2011 at 09:50 AM
docsmiles17
• • •
p.1 #8 · 580 EX flash and Av mode setting

thanks for all the responses. I will try the manual mode and custom functions.

Thanks again!!!

Dec 20, 2011 at 04:33 PM
2DeAnn

p.1 #9 · 580 EX flash and Av mode setting

BrianO wrote:
BTW, the Canon manuals are fine for a quick reference/refresher, but they're a bit terse. If you want to get a lot more out of Canon Speedlites than you otherwise might, Syl Arena's Speedliter's Handbook is a wealth of information.

http://www.amazon.com/Speedliters-Handbook-Learning-Craft-Speedlites/dp/032171105X

Thanks for the link, to this book. Ordered and going to read it through. Always up for a good learning manual.

Terrie

Dec 20, 2011 at 06:47 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · 580 EX flash and Av mode setting

BrianO wrote:
...If you want to get a lot more out of Canon Speedlites than you otherwise might, Syl Arena's Speedliter's Handbook is a wealth of information.

2DeAnn wrote:
Thanks for the link, to this book. Ordered and going to read it through. Always up for a good learning manual.

You're welcome, Terrie; I hope you like it.

Dec 20, 2011 at 08:11 PM
retrofocus
• • • •
p.1 #11 · 580 EX flash and Av mode setting

BrianO wrote:
BTW, the Canon manuals are fine for a quick reference/refresher, but they're a bit terse.

+1: The speedlite manuals are not very helpful at all if s.b. gets started with speedlite photography. They fully lack more detailed statements when to use which sort of flash setting in combination with the camera.

Dec 20, 2011 at 08:28 PM
Chumma
• •
p.1 #12 · 580 EX flash and Av mode setting

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
Think of AV/TV as fill modes .
I know it sounds counter intuative but it's easier with ETTL to put the camera in manual and choose your settings and then let the flash work it out for itself.

Should I ignore the exposure meter when in manual and will the flash ETTL ensure correct exposure? (I just got my 580 EX II). Thanks.

Dec 21, 2011 at 04:18 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · 580 EX flash and Av mode setting

Chumma wrote:
Should I ignore the exposure meter when in manual and will the flash ETTL ensure correct exposure? (I just got my 580 EX II). Thanks.

You can ignore the meter if it's showing underexposure, and the ETTL will correctly expose the subject, but the background may go dark; or you can use the meter as a guide to background exposure. I often try for exposing the BG 1 or 2 stops below normal to give the subject more pop.

If the meter shows overexposure, though, then everything -- background and subject -- could be overexposed. That's usually not an issue, because most times you wouldn't even be considering flash if there were lots of ambient light. (One time that it might show overexposure, but you'd still want to use flash, is if the BG is in bright sun but the subject is in shadow.)

Dec 21, 2011 at 04:49 PM
Chumma
• •
p.1 #14 · 580 EX flash and Av mode setting

Thanks, Brian.

Dec 21, 2011 at 04:51 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · 580 EX flash and Av mode setting

Another reason to use M mode if possible is Canon flash has a weird behaviour whereby if you meter a scene with flash off and then turn the flash on the metered reading is altered if you are in Av or Tv modes. I think it's called NEVEC. So best to get the ambient exposure set first in M mode with the flash off, then turn the flash on.

Jan 04, 2012 at 01:30 AM
outlawyer
• • •
p.1 #16 · 580 EX flash and Av mode setting

I recently posted about this very issue. Custom function 3 as I recall. The eminent flash scholar CGardner posted in this thread too.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1067082/0#10147868

Jan 04, 2012 at 02:02 AM
Matt Ward
• •
p.1 #17 · 580 EX flash and Av mode setting

I have been using my 7d with the option to fix shutter speed, AV mode and spot meter selected with pretty good success. I am very new to the 7d, but sure am glad to have spot metering back.

Jan 04, 2012 at 02:39 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password