Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2011 · My D2X rubber cover peeled off

euronail
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · My D2X rubber cover peeled off

In the back of my D2X rubber cover by the memory card door peeled off. Any suggestion what kind of glue use to fix it?

Dec 18, 2011 at 05:25 AM
84FJ60
• •
p.1 #2 · My D2X rubber cover peeled off

The same thing happened to my D2H. After numerous glue and double-sided tape experiments, the best solution that I have found is gaffer's tape. Set the rubber cover aside and use one piece of tape to cover space where the rubber cover used to reside, then trim to fit with an Xacto knife.

David - a Colorado Nikonian

Dec 18, 2011 at 05:46 AM
bellyface
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · My D2X rubber cover peeled off

pliobond. but, to be honest, just buy the nikon oem replacement rubber.

Dec 18, 2011 at 06:11 AM
euronail
• •
p.1 #4 · My D2X rubber cover peeled off

The rubber part is still attached, it just separated from the metal part. I don't want it to detach though.

Dec 18, 2011 at 06:15 AM
RKnecht
• • •
p.1 #5 · My D2X rubber cover peeled off

After trying to glue mine on a few times, I just bought a new door.

Dec 18, 2011 at 01:35 PM
veroman
• • • •
p.1 #6 · My D2X rubber cover peeled off

euronail wrote:
In the back of my D2X rubber cover by the memory card door peeled off. Any suggestion what kind of glue use to fix it?

Weldwood Contact Cement.

Lift the rubber as far back as it will go. Remove it entirely if you can. Best to clean off the old glue if you can. Place a VERY thin coat of the cement on the rubber & the exposed metal, let dry, then press the rubber in place. Keep in mind that once the rubber meets the metal, it will bond the two parts completely, so things had better be aligned properly.

Dec 18, 2011 at 01:53 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · My D2X rubber cover peeled off

^ this I tried Gorilla glue once on a D2X....tough to control the ensuing expansion.
Got it right on subsequent tries with another D2X/D2Xs using contact cement. Easy fix.

Dec 18, 2011 at 04:08 PM
Derek
• • •
p.1 #8 · My D2X rubber cover peeled off

unfortunetly a failing of all the Nikon Pro bodies, every D3 and D3S I owned (5) has done it within a few months of ownership

You think with this being such an ongoing problem they would have it sorted out by now

Great Camera, but crap adhesive from the Factory, followed closely by the LCD Glass fogging up which they still claim is not common

Dec 18, 2011 at 08:31 PM
davenfl
• • • •
p.1 #9 · My D2X rubber cover peeled off

++1 on the contact cement, it is the best solution. Derek I totally agree with your comments, happened to 4 different D3 and D3S bodies we owned.

Dave

Dec 18, 2011 at 08:34 PM
euronail
• •
p.1 #10 · My D2X rubber cover peeled off

Alright....

I followed veroman's advice and bought a jar of Contact cement at Home Depot this afternoon.

I peeled back the rubber piece 2/3 of the way. I used a pairing knife to clean off old glue.

Applied a thin coat of Contact cement on both the rubber and metal part, I followed the instruction on the jar, let it dries for 30 mins until the glue has a gloss surface. I carefully press the rubber in place.

It does not work as I would expect. The problem is the rubber part has a contour area in the middle and the rubber is a bit stretch. When I press the rubber down, as soon as release it, it pops up. The rubber piece does not stay in place. At first, I thought maybe there was an air pocket, it was not. I guess, once you pull the rubber piece, it does not have same shape as the metal part and the glue is not strong enough to hold it in place.

I might have to try another glue or bring it to a local Nikon service to replace it.

Dec 19, 2011 at 04:10 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · My D2X rubber cover peeled off

This is VERY common on Nikon cameras. They haven't quite figured out how to keep the rubber grips on the camera. With time, the rubber stretches, so it won't simply glue in place. Canon's don't seem to have this same problem, but it's probably because canon uses a much thinner rubber on the grip of their cameras. Nikon goes for a nice thick rubber grip.

Dec 19, 2011 at 04:15 AM
euronail
• •
p.1 #12 · My D2X rubber cover peeled off

RKnecht wrote:
After trying to glue mine on a few times, I just bought a new door.

How much did you pay for the door? I guess it might be a solution.

I just looked, there are 2 screws behind the door. I guess it is not difficult to replace.

Dec 19, 2011 at 04:22 AM
Avi B
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · My D2X rubber cover peeled off

25-30 bux.

Dec 19, 2011 at 04:32 AM
Derek
• • •
p.1 #14 · My D2X rubber cover peeled off

As Ben Horne pointed out, never happens on the Canon Bodies, ever, and I own plenty of those too, so its very dissapointing it remains an ongoing sore point on the Nikon Bodies when it should be easily fixed

It also happens on the rubber lens focus and zoom rings on the Nikkors, and once again never on the Canons

The rubbers end up stretching on the bodies and the lenses, quite frankly you're wasting your time gluing them back, you need to replace the rubbers once they stretch as they never go back in place properly

Send in a D3 or D3S for a full set of rubbers out of waranty and see what it costs, you'll be horrified, I think they are about $155 AUD out here

They need to get it sorted, it lets down what is otherwise a great Camera (apart from the LCD Fog problem but we wont go there)

Dec 19, 2011 at 09:06 AM
hans98ko
• • •
p.1 #15 · My D2X rubber cover peeled off

Derek wrote:
As Ben Horne pointed out, never happens on the Canon Bodies, ever, and I own plenty of those too, so its very dissapointing it remains an ongoing sore point on the Nikon Bodies when it should be easily fixed

It also happens on the rubber lens focus and zoom rings on the Nikkors, and once again never on the Canons

The rubbers end up stretching on the bodies and the lenses, quite frankly you're wasting your time gluing them back, you need to replace the rubbers once they stretch as they never go back in place properly

Send in a D3 or D3S
...Show more

Are you all very very sure that it never happen to Canon bodies?

It happened a while back that Canon users were complaining about the same issue and I even pointed out that it even happened on their new models on diplay at their own showroom here. Canon finally took action to replace those units at their show room. Models involved 5D mark II and the 60D.

Check my old post and you will find it. In my post I did specifically mentioned that it is happening to both Canon and Nikon.

Dec 19, 2011 at 09:21 AM
Derek
• • •
p.1 #16 · My D2X rubber cover peeled off

I've only ever owned 1 Series bodies, over 20 of them, currently own 10, and it's never happened to any of those through 4 generations of 1 Series.

It has however happened on every D3 & D3S I've owned and every Nikon Zoom Lens, including all 3 200-400 I currently own, they replaced the rubbers on the lens, they come loose and stretch again in a matter of a couple of months

Dec 19, 2011 at 11:55 AM
saelee
• •
p.1 #17 · My D2X rubber cover peeled off

I wonder if this only happens in Nikon pro bodies.

I have a d70, D40 and my friend has the D50 that went through hell and back and still have no problem with the rubber.

While my D700 is pealing on the thumb.

Also do anyone have a link where you can order the OEM rubber? The dealer qouted me $150 to replace it.

Dec 19, 2011 at 01:42 PM
JHerr
• • •
p.1 #18 · My D2X rubber cover peeled off

My d700 and d300 rubber are both held on to the body by loads of Gaffers tape - and that seems to be holding up better than the original rubber did.

Dec 19, 2011 at 02:14 PM
HerbChong
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · My D2X rubber cover peeled off

only my D2 bodies, none of my D3 bodies. it started happening on my D2X after a year. i've had a D3 since the first day it shipped and no sign of loosening yet though i have a replacement rubber kit for the D3 just in case. not interested in buying the D2 door just for the rubber. i contact cemented mine after a thorough cleaning of the original rubber and the door.

Herb...

Derek wrote:
unfortunetly a failing of all the Nikon Pro bodies, every D3 and D3S I owned (5) has done it within a few months of ownership

Dec 19, 2011 at 03:53 PM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · My D2X rubber cover peeled off

hans98ko wrote:
Are you all very very sure that it never happen to Canon bodies?

It happened a while back that Canon users were complaining about the same issue and I even pointed out that it even happened on their new models on diplay at their own showroom here. Canon finally took action to replace those units at their show room. Models involved 5D mark II and the 60D.

Check my old post and you will find it. In my post I did specifically mentioned that it is happening to both Canon and Nikon.

It is VERY uncommon for it to happen with Canon. I see a lot of pro bodies from both Canon and Nikon, and if I had to hazard a guess... I'd say 75% of Nikon's that are more than a few years old will end up having problems with the rubber grips. With Canon... maybe 5%. Nikon uses a different type of rubber. I prefer the feel of the nikon grips, but the thick Nikon rubber stretches easily, and gets very loose.

Dec 19, 2011 at 05:05 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password