New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · D7000 question regarding On/Off power consumption ?s

Steve Brandt
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D7000 question regarding On/Off power consumption ?s

Hey all I just switched from a Canon 40D to the D7000 and LOVE it! However I am uncertain about how much the battery drains if you leave it in the "On" position, or more importantly if it DOES drain, is there a way to switch it so it goes to "sleep" after a period of time? I had that on my 40D but I don't know if it was a customizable option... I could live without it but it would be nice, like with the 40D to be able to just stick it in my bag for a day or week and not worry about the battery dying...

Dec 17, 2011 at 09:21 PM
egd5
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D7000 question regarding On/Off power consumption ?s

Battery life is very good and yes it does have a standby mode. I forget where, but it's in the manual or go through the menu til you find it. A day,probably...a week, I doubt it, but never tried.

Dec 18, 2011 at 12:08 AM
Steve Brandt
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D7000 question regarding On/Off power consumption ?s

well the manual will take a week just to read through haha so I will look around. thanks for the info!

Dec 18, 2011 at 12:51 AM
hjanssen
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D7000 question regarding On/Off power consumption ?s

All Nikons I had/ve are going to sleep after a certain time and after a month the battery is at the same level as before. You can see that on the display, because the the exposure information goes away from the top display.

Dec 18, 2011 at 04:51 AM
Sami Ruusunen
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D7000 question regarding On/Off power consumption ?s

I think the preset "sleep" time of D7000 is 6 seconds, the time can be changed from c2

Dec 18, 2011 at 04:57 AM
louhand
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D7000 question regarding On/Off power consumption ?s

I have had Nikon D70's, D200 and D300. I NEVER turn them off. My thought was that the switch might be the first point of failure over the years. So, by not moving it, no risk of failure. Sort of like when Einstein complained that he always got holes in his socks, he stopped wearing socks. Works for me.

Dec 18, 2011 at 05:27 AM
Steve Brandt
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D7000 question regarding On/Off power consumption ?s

Thanks guys, glad to hear it isn't going to die every time i leave it on hahaha.

@louhand, if you want to stop wearing socks thats up to you, but I am wearing them holes or not

Dec 18, 2011 at 09:34 AM
MalbikEndar
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D7000 question regarding On/Off power consumption ?s

> I NEVER turn them off.

Sometimes I turn the D7000 off, sometimes I don't. It doesn't seem to make any difference. I don't have to worry about it.

Now I DO turn it off before putting it in the backpack, sometimes I get a lot of lens cap pictures otherwise.

Dec 18, 2011 at 09:58 AM
runamuck
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D7000 question regarding On/Off power consumption ?s

Steve Brandt wrote:
Thanks guys, glad to hear it isn't going to die every time i leave it on hahaha.

@louhand, if you want to stop wearing socks thats up to you, but I am wearing them holes or not

ALL my socks have at least one hole---I couldn't get them on if they didn't.

Dec 18, 2011 at 09:07 PM
Steve Brandt
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · D7000 question regarding On/Off power consumption ?s

runamuck wrote ALL my socks have at least one hole---I couldn't get them on if they didn't.

... Touche Sir Runamuck... Touche

Dec 19, 2011 at 12:14 AM
jwalker
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · D7000 question regarding On/Off power consumption ?s

Steve for what it's worth I leave my D3, D700 and UW D7000 on all day long on the boat and can shoot a few hundred frames a day on any of them for at least a couple of days without any battery issues. I do bring the chargers on the boat just in case!

Dec 19, 2011 at 06:50 AM
Nijay
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · D7000 question regarding On/Off power consumption ?s

So long as you set your meter to turn off after 6-10 seconds of idle (which I think the default is in that range) you won't be draining much power by leaving the camera on, just enough power to keep the top LCD on. And that top LCD is on even when the camera is off, showing you the number of pictures you have remaining on your SD cards.

Dec 19, 2011 at 10:06 AM
Steve Brandt
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · D7000 question regarding On/Off power consumption ?s

Ok so I have it set to drain from the battery grip first but the battery grip hasnt dropped at all but the camera battery is down to 70ish%... any ideas why it wont pull from the grip?

Dec 19, 2011 at 01:29 PM
workerdrone
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · D7000 question regarding On/Off power consumption ?s

Just a caveat, I was leaving my Nikons on almost all the time but then I read a thread stating there might be damage if you swap lenses with the power on. Not sure if that could happen, or how often I've done that before, but to be safe I now make sure to power off when changing lenses.

Dec 19, 2011 at 02:34 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.