Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2011 · 85 f1.2 not for action?

Daan B
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · 85 f1.2 not for action?

In skilled hands, the 85L is able to deliver beyond just static portraiture. Just don't try to focus from infinity to MFD without having to wait a while

Dec 19, 2011 at 11:24 AM
WmPat
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · 85 f1.2 not for action?

Mark, your ballet shots are very nice, third would my fav.

I think they may have benefited from a higher ISO setting to yield a faster shutter speed. And maybe one notch narrower on the aperture for more DoF. Most lenses, even some of the very best ones, gain a little sharpness when moved away from the extreme wide open setting. At ISO 400 & 500 you are not using your MkIV to best advantage in low light situations.

As for the 85L's focusing ability when shooting moving subjects - I think it did well in your ballet shoot but that wasn't a very challenging test considering that the movement was lateral, and that the subjects are very well lit by spotlights against a relatively dark background. Although the ambient light level in the theater is not bright - it's not the same type of "low light situation" a sports shooter would encounter in a dimly lit high school gymnasium. Try shooting a HS basketball game, or a volleyball match, and you will learn a little more about the capabilities of the 85L. Your MkIV is very well suited for that task.

Dec 19, 2011 at 08:05 PM
Richard Nye
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · 85 f1.2 not for action?

What was the keeper rate?

Dec 20, 2011 at 01:57 AM
mark fadely
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · 85 f1.2 not for action?

Thanks for all the replies guys. I imagine your insights will be a benefit.

WmPat - I agree with your summary with the exception of the shutter speed. There is no benefit to shooting faster than 1/800th with this kind of action. None of the shots above show any motion blur at all. You have a point that stopping down a bit could have sharpened things some and helped with the DOF though. And you are right about the lighting being much better than indoor youth basketball or volleyball. I have shot both of those, but never with the 85L, only the 85 1.8. I thought the 85 1.8 did okay for ambient basketball, but I can definitely see why some sports agencies demand all basketball shots to be strobed.

The reason I didn't stop down or raise the ISO is because I just thought it was so cool to be shooting at those numbers and getting excellent results. Kind of akin to having a Porsche that can go 190mph then you must drive it at 190mph sometimes. Well I went out for my 190mph drive and now I can get back in front of my keyboard and talk about how cool it was with you guys!

Dec 20, 2011 at 02:06 AM
mark fadely
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · 85 f1.2 not for action?

Richard Nye wrote:
What was the keeper rate?

Richard, the keeper rate was way up there - like 85%. Really only had to worry about proper framing, not out of focus misses.

Dec 20, 2011 at 02:08 AM
outlawyer
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · 85 f1.2 not for action?

Great action tool if the action is contained within a limited range of movement, due to glacially slow AF; images of a batter swinging are easy, for example. While the 135L is a great action lens with its fast fast AF at 1/2 the price, an 85% 85L keeper rate is excellent.
This has been my experience, anyway.

Dec 20, 2011 at 04:20 AM
WmPat
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · 85 f1.2 not for action?

mark fadely wrote:
...... but I can definitely see why some sports agencies demand all basketball shots to be strobed. ....

Hasn't the advance in high ISO performance in the most recent pro level bodies made that thinking outdated?

Someone please wake me up when those agencies update their archaic policies.

Dec 22, 2011 at 10:35 PM
mark fadely
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · 85 f1.2 not for action?

WmPat wrote:
Hasn't the advance in high ISO performance in the most recent pro level bodies made that thinking outdated?

Someone please wake me up when those agencies update their archaic policies.

In poorly lit gyms the problem is not only with getting a good exposure, but also cycling lights create all kinds of weird color casts,, and the strobes eliminate those issues. But you are right in that being able to cleanly shoot above iso3200 with modern bodies has helped a lot.

Dec 23, 2011 at 01:48 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

WmPat
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · 85 f1.2 not for action?

mark fadely wrote:
In poorly lit gyms the problem is not only with getting a good exposure, but also cycling lights create all kinds of weird color casts,, and the strobes eliminate those issues. But you are right in that being able to cleanly shoot above iso3200 with modern bodies has helped a lot.

The issues creating by cycling lights can be ameliorated in post.

Shooting HS basketball in "dimly lit gyms" normally does not return enough revenue to justify the expense of a good strobe setup. And unless done with a high level of expertise, the improvement in image quality is not very impressive. There are a lot more hopeful photographers willing to invest in strobes than there are outlets for their work willing to pay an adequate return. At the level of the "dimly lit gyms" strobes just are not an economically viable proposition, and therefore requiring such merely denies exposure to some schools and their student/athletes.

Dec 23, 2011 at 07:20 PM
mark fadely
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · 85 f1.2 not for action?

I agree with all of this.

Dec 23, 2011 at 07:34 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · 85 f1.2 not for action?

Hey, Mark, found another half-a$$ed BIF shot done at f/1.4.
1DMkIIN + 85L MkI.

Edited on Dec 25, 2011 at 01:40 AM · View previous versions

Dec 23, 2011 at 08:39 PM
mark fadely
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · 85 f1.2 not for action?

^ Sweet! Look at the bokeh, wow. Is that one of your "trained" city falcons?

Dec 23, 2011 at 08:46 PM
Daboyle
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · 85 f1.2 not for action?

And this is why I dont go to Ballet's. I prefer not to see other guy's junk in tights. Just sayin.....

Dec 23, 2011 at 08:57 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · 85 f1.2 not for action?

mark fadely wrote:
^ Sweet! Look at the bokeh, wow. Is that one of your "trained" city falcons?

Yup, one of my best stunt pijuns.

Dec 23, 2011 at 08:59 PM
mark fadely
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · 85 f1.2 not for action?

Daboyle wrote:
And this is why I dont go to Ballet's. I prefer not to see other guy's junk in tights. Just sayin.....

, I put that shot in there for all the people who could appreciate true art Didn't mean to make anyone uncomfortable or cause undue stress while viewing this thread. Just kiddin ya, I know what your mean.

BTW - the focus was perfect on that shot because of the contrast in that area of his tights

Dec 23, 2011 at 11:01 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password