Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2011 · Fire sale prices on Canon?

leftcoastlefty
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Fire sale prices on Canon?

Has anyone else noticed fire sale prices on Canon lenses lately in the US? I know there are instant rebates right now, but poke around www.canonpricewatch.com and you'll see many non-rebated lenses with steep price drops lately.

Every time prices have gone up in the past, someone inevitably blames the exchange rate. I think this has generally been a good theory, but right now the prices are going down while the exchange rate has mostly held steady. So what gives?

This is pure speculation, but here are three theories as to why Canon is being more aggressive with pricing:

1) They feel threatened from cheaper competition (like 4/3rds)
2) They are trying to milk some extra winter sales before the economy really tanks
3) They are about to announce a cheaper alternative and want to pull in as many "legacy" sales as possible.

Anyone else care to speculate? Where's the popcorn?

Dec 17, 2011 at 01:17 AM
kewlcanon
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Fire sale prices on Canon?

Subsidized by US Government .

Dec 17, 2011 at 01:18 AM
thedigitalbean
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Fire sale prices on Canon?

Not sure you need conspiracy theories for what is likely the simplest explanation. Much of the price increases this year were due to supply shortages because of the disaster in Japan. Canon lens supply has slowly been catching up and as supply has caught up, many retailers are bringing prices down (much as they did back when supply was high). Look at the stuff that still has supply issues (new super telephotos, 1D4, etc...), the prices still sky high for that stuff and hasn't come down.

The price increases prior to march of this year could largely be attributed to the value of the Yen, however even with the current drops in price, they are nowhere close to the level they were a couple of years ago. I'd hardly call the drops we've seen this holiday season "fire sale prices".

Dec 17, 2011 at 01:31 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Fire sale prices on Canon?

The sales are probably down by quite a bit. Therefore, Canon USA and their retailers are creating (generally) minor price break inducements.

However, the top tier gear is either not available (e.g. 500 f/4 MkI, 1DsMkIII, 400 f/2.8 MkII) or they have been priced out of reach of many....see a typical price trend on the example of 800L. Incidentally, B&H and Adorama have rolled back the 800L price by $100 recently.

Edited on Dec 17, 2011 at 02:21 AM · View previous versions

Dec 17, 2011 at 01:47 AM
omarlyn
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Fire sale prices on Canon?

Aliens....aliens!

Dec 17, 2011 at 02:01 AM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Fire sale prices on Canon?

^^^^
I WANT TO BELIEVE...

(in a Canon EVIL camera...)

Dec 17, 2011 at 02:12 AM
snapsy
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Fire sale prices on Canon?

All those sound like reasonable explanations. My hunch is they're trying to take advantage of Nikon's lull in production between the D700 and its replacement by enticing any remaining fence-sitters.

Dec 17, 2011 at 02:13 AM
Chumma
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Fire sale prices on Canon?

Canonís largest market is Europe and the second largest market is the U.S., and both are experiencing economic slowdown. To compensate the decline in demand, Canon is offering the rebates. Canon already makes huge profit margins on their photographic products and they are just giving a small break.

Dec 17, 2011 at 02:21 AM
misternikko
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Fire sale prices on Canon?

omarlyn wrote:
Aliens....aliens!

I knew it!!

Dec 17, 2011 at 02:30 AM
h00ligan
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Fire sale prices on Canon?

Or they had a weak year and want to end / sart with a bang for shareholder confidence.

Dec 17, 2011 at 03:10 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Fire sale prices on Canon?

It's very simple...year end...taxes.

Dec 17, 2011 at 03:36 AM
StarNut
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Fire sale prices on Canon?

Whatever the reason for the price drops, I have a 16-35 II winging its way to me, thanks to the instant rebate.

Dec 17, 2011 at 03:53 AM
Sam tran
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Fire sale prices on Canon?

I just wondered why they don't list the EF 35mm F/1.4 L anymore on their Refurbished store, usually they listed even it's "out of stock". Now nothing...I would put this in the same category of JFK assassination

Dec 17, 2011 at 03:55 AM
arnold1
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Fire sale prices on Canon?

Perhaps if they glow in the dark, then we will know why!!!!

Dec 17, 2011 at 04:09 AM
tuantran
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Fire sale prices on Canon?

There can be more reasons than the yen/dollar pair. You also have other currency fluctuations like the euro/dollar for the buyers in Europe, the currency pairs in the Asian emerging market where all the manufacturing are happening.

Also, put into account that commodies like steel, copper, oil, precious metals,etc have pretty much crashed lately.

Most importantly, because people around the world (not people who are reading this forum) are scared to buy things so Canon's inventory is pretty high. It's either lay off people or sell at steep discount. Since selling at steep discount is cheaper than laying off people and then hiring them back again when inventory is at an acceptable level, Canon probably did the right thing.

Dec 17, 2011 at 05:45 AM
Ferrophot
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Fire sale prices on Canon?

I used to buy machinery from Japan, steam turbines, alternators, gearboxes and stuff like that.
When the market was good their prices were high with long deliveries, but you could always get fast delivery if you paid a premium on top of the price. When times were bad I have been offered equipment at a "you pay what price you think is fair".
The price of cameras is probably similar, they will charge according to the market, exchange rates and what sales level they want to achieve.

Dec 17, 2011 at 06:24 AM
mark petri
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Fire sale prices on Canon?

I wouldn't quite call it a fire sale, there's a decent rebate in effect until Jan 7th and the rebated prices are still more than the street prices 2 years ago. This is just offseting some recent price hikes on the same lenses to bring in EOY revenue.

Dec 17, 2011 at 06:40 AM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Fire sale prices on Canon?

Canon's bottom line is hurting due to the earthquake, and the recent flooding in Thailand. With the end of the fiscal year approaching, I suspect that they want to move as much stock as possible to boost the earnings for 2011. Look for the deals to vanish after the end of the year.

This is a pretty common tactic in business, you need to look like a good investment to keep your stockholders happy, and keep your credit rating high.

Dec 17, 2011 at 08:50 AM
Fjellfalck
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Fire sale prices on Canon?

Chumma wrote:
Canonís largest market is Europe and the second largest market is the U.S., and both are experiencing economic slowdown. To compensate the decline in demand, Canon is offering the rebates. Canon already makes huge profit margins on their photographic products and they are just giving a small break.

+1

Dec 17, 2011 at 09:20 AM
VetraLens
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Fire sale prices on Canon?

snapsy wrote:
All those sound like reasonable explanations. My hunch is they're trying to take advantage of Nikon's lull in production between the D700 and its replacement by enticing any remaining fence-sitters.

Whether intentional or not, it worked on me. Had been wanting to move from 5Dc to a D700 since pretty much the spring. After the quake, the price went up a couple hundred dollars, then talk started of a replacement, then the price went up another couple hundred dollars. When the refurbished deals started happening on 5DIIs, I pulled the trigger on one and decided to stay with Canon. At nearly a thousand dollar difference in price of the body alone, I figured I could deal with the subpar AF performance.

Dec 17, 2011 at 12:03 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password