Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · 5dmk2, non-weather sealed lenses, speedlights, and light ...

Access
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · 5dmk2, non-weather sealed lenses, speedlights, and light rain?

Is it okay? There's something planned for tommorow, but the weather report says possibly light rain. Of course if it rains significantly, it will probably be called off anyways. But how does this equipment handle very light rain, ie. 'sprinkles', combined with a lot of wind? Will I be fine, should I take some kind of precautions, and if so what; anyone else's experience with this? The lenses are 24-70 f/2.8L and 85mm, f/1.8L; and then a 580ex and 580ex2 speedlight.

I did a cursory search online but didn't find a lot of useful info, one site claimed it handled medium rain just fine, another said a few failed in light rain even when a cover was used.

I do have an old rebel XSi (the 12MP one) that I can use as a backup, or in lieu of the 5dmk2 if the risk is significant...

Dec 16, 2011 at 08:43 PM
eskimochaos
• • •
p.1 #2 · 5dmk2, non-weather sealed lenses, speedlights, and light rain?

Wrap it.

Dec 16, 2011 at 09:39 PM
bridow
• • •
p.1 #3 · 5dmk2, non-weather sealed lenses, speedlights, and light rain?

I think it will be fine. The 5D2 is a tough cookie, but even if I was shooting with a 1D4, I would protect my camera from mist and rain whenever possible. The main issue is you switching lenses outside in the rain/wind.

Dec 16, 2011 at 09:45 PM
Photon
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · 5dmk2, non-weather sealed lenses, speedlights, and light rain?

If you have to use a speedlite, make it the 580EX2, which has a measure of sealing at the hot shoe. Flash in the rain will of course reflect off rain drops, so it's usually counterproductive.

Dec 16, 2011 at 09:48 PM
Don Clary
• • • •
p.1 #5 · 5dmk2, non-weather sealed lenses, speedlights, and light rain?

In this post

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1056105/0#10039308

towards the bottom of page 1, here's part of what I wrote:

I went to Costa Rica 3 weeks ago. I got 8 continuous days of 24 hour per day rain, including light mist, rain, heavy rain, and absolute cloudbursts. I used the rain sleeves every day. I was cupping the foot of a 300 F4, and so much rain was pouring off of the rain sleeve, that my hand would fill with water, I'd dump it and 10 seconds later, it would fill again. The rain was coming down so hard that it was impossible to hear any sounds of wildlife. Being out in a boat on the canals in that weather was ridiculous. I had no problems with either 5DII.

I don't think it is possible to encounter any worse condition than this, short of scuba diving.

Dec 17, 2011 at 02:37 AM
pumaknight
• • •
p.1 #6 · 5dmk2, non-weather sealed lenses, speedlights, and light rain?

Just as a cautaionary tale:

I followed the advice of everyone citing that the 5DII was as good at weather proofing as the 1dN of old - with my L series lenses I ventured out, a rain proof cover in place, just to be sure.....after a minor light rain for an hour, I could not start the camera.

I sent it to Canon and got the rather depressing news that all circuitry was shot due to water damage and corrosion!!! I challenged saying - hold on, 50D was in same weather and no issues there - they did some research and discovered that one of the seals may have been pinched in production or shipping - meaning that my good weather proofed 5DII had a huge hole and water being water found its way in.

Canon were nice and only charged my 50 for a 600+ repair......

So even if it said to be waterproof, weatherproof or any proof, still bag it and protect it...the price of a shower cap or a plastic bag....worth every penny!!

Just sayin....

Dec 19, 2011 at 01:16 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

hk_mtbr
• • •
p.1 #7 · 5dmk2, non-weather sealed lenses, speedlights, and light rain?

I've had mine out a few times in the rain misting and fairly heavy. I didn't spend much time in the pour but had to get back to the car. And so far so issues.

I just picked up a 1D MKII to take out in the winter weather 'cause I feel kinda guilty with the 5D...but after this winter I'll likely sell the one and pickup another 5DMKII...ymmv

I also just got a sleeve because I want to be prepared for the downpour. I also have been know to give a little extra gaff tape over most everything not necessary for the day. Also because I love gaff tape, like duct tape but better since it is black.

Dec 19, 2011 at 07:52 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • •
p.1 #8 · 5dmk2, non-weather sealed lenses, speedlights, and light rain?

when I had my 40D, I would shoot with it in The Gorge. I had a small hand towel I would wipe it off with (and Giottos blower as well) and it never missed a beat.

Dec 19, 2011 at 08:06 PM
Don Clary
• • • •
p.1 #9 · 5dmk2, non-weather sealed lenses, speedlights, and light rain?

pumaknight wrote: ...a rain proof cover in place, just to be sure.....

How do you explain this? How do you get water to penetrate a waterproof cover?

Dec 19, 2011 at 08:19 PM
dswiger
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · 5dmk2, non-weather sealed lenses, speedlights, and light rain?

If you have a rain sleeve then you shouldn't be getting any rain on the camera.
Condensation is another issue and there are steps to mitigate that
I use this rain sleeve from Fototsharp

http://www.fotosharp.com/camera_rain_covers.html

Yes it's more than the $10 cheapies, but it lasts. I keep a cheepie, zip lock & garbage bags in the car.

I don't care what the mfg claims on weather sealing are, there is no reason to go naked.
When I shoot at the ocean, I use the rain sleeve, just in case a rogue wave get's me.

For ocean, rainy conditions, at waterfalls, etc, I also use a Cokin filter holder w/clear plastic to AF/set exposure & pull it temporarily to take the shot & put it back.

You might say I'm retentive.

Dan

Dec 19, 2011 at 10:13 PM
slrl0ver
• •
p.1 #11 · 5dmk2, non-weather sealed lenses, speedlights, and light rain?

I've disassembled a 5D.2 ; there are no "weather" seals, only dust seals. If you open your battery compartment you'll see light foam around the plastic door -- that's pretty much what's used everywhere ; I don't think anyone will qualify that as "waterproof". I suggest a "rain coat" and/or an insurance policy that will cover you against abuse if you plan to shoot in these conditions.

- slrl0ver

Dec 20, 2011 at 12:07 PM
jhg photo
• • •
p.1 #12 · 5dmk2, non-weather sealed lenses, speedlights, and light rain?

Two weeks ago, I was out in "normal rain" and intentionally exposed my 5D II with 16-35 L attached to this weather during a walk lasting about one hour.
The camera was dripping after 10 min but worked without any issue as long as needed. Later, when I checked it at home, there was no water in lens mount or card slot. Pure rain water would evaporate after a while anyway.
Good shooting

Dec 20, 2011 at 12:33 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password