Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2011 · Older FF and high ISO

snapsy
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Older FF and high ISO

Ralph Conway wrote:
The 5D MK II is about 1.5 stops better than the 5D.

The 5DM2 is only 1/2 to 2/3 stops better than the 5D for SNR when you normalize the ISO calibration differences between the bodies.

Dec 17, 2011 at 09:19 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Older FF and high ISO

@ Ian:
Get it. %D is great.

@snapsy:
I do not see that. While 5D was quite "acceptable in Iso 3200" at 12MP, 5D II is with no problem in Iso 6400 (at 21MP). That of course is just my 2 cent.

Dec 17, 2011 at 09:26 PM
cputeq
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Older FF and high ISO

I also dont see the 5d2 being more than 1 stop better than 5d from my comparisons

Dec 17, 2011 at 09:55 PM
artsupreme
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Older FF and high ISO

snapsy wrote:
The 5DM2 is only 1/2 to 2/3 stops better than the 5D for SNR when you normalize the ISO calibration differences between the bodies.

Exactly, most are not aware of the ISO differences between the two bodies.

Dec 17, 2011 at 10:02 PM
snapsy
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Older FF and high ISO

Ralph Conway wrote:
@snapsy:
I do not see that. While 5D was quite "acceptable in Iso 3200" at 12MP, 5D II is with no problem in Iso 6400 (at 21MP). That of course is just my 2 cent.

I agree, your eyes aren't deceiving you. But thd 5DM2's ISO 3200 is really ISO 2133, whereas the 5D's ISO 3200 is ISO 2710, as measured by DxoMark. That's slightly over a 1/3 stop difference. That means you have to use a higher ISO on the 5DM2 to match the same shutter speed as the 5D.

Dec 17, 2011 at 10:47 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Older FF and high ISO

Ian -- I think you are dreaming if you think any of the three (1D2, 1Ds2, 5Dc) will beat the 7D or even 60D for ISO 3200 noise, resolution and color. I'm not saying the 7D and 60D are amazing at that ISO, but better than these other three.

I currently own "the three" plus the 60D. I find all three about the same for noise, but the 16.7MP 1Ds2 has significant edge in resolution, making the noise appear less. The 5D is in the middle, as its 12+MP would indicate. I don't like the noise of any of these three above 800, but find 1600 my limit outside of emergencies. The 60D is as good or better than the three at 1600 compared to their 800.

Given the choice, I pick either the 1Ds2 or 60D.

That said, if you have a fantastic deal on a 5D, you should go for it. It is a great camera, just not at its best at above ISO 1600.

Dec 17, 2011 at 11:08 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Dustin Gent
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Older FF and high ISO

Not super high ISO (1Ds only does 1200), but this was accidentally shot at ISO 800..

Dec 18, 2011 at 06:17 AM
mttran
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Older FF and high ISO

Unless you have some constraints in shutter speed for your work, the whole iso thing is just another gimmick to be played with your wallet.

http://www.longwatcher.com/camera_test.html

5Dc is good as well.

Dec 18, 2011 at 12:34 PM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Older FF and high ISO

Ian, don't forget that you may need to balance AF performance against the noise performance when looking at buying the older cameras. If you only ever use the centre AF sensor and never shoot birds in flight then there's little or nothing to worry about. If you want faster AF, with AF expansion, in poorer light, then you have a problem with older non-1-series cameras compared with your 1D2n.

Check out the charts at DxO Mark for an indication of how dynamic range and tonal gradation suffer at different ISOs. You can compare up to three cameras at a time but don't pay attention to the single-value benchmarks - the charts are more informative.
[update - their new site format is not working for me at present]

- Alan

Dec 18, 2011 at 03:49 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Older FF and high ISO

Alan , as far as AF goes , if it moves then the mk2n would be pointed at it.
The 5D if that's the route I go would be used at a much slower pace. I pretty much use the middle point most of the time anyway.

Of course thinking as well to put the cat amongst the pigeons . I could think about keeping the 40D (it does most things well enough) and selling the mk2n and getting a mk3 .
Not ff but I would then keep my 12-24 (usable from 15mm)

Dec 18, 2011 at 04:17 PM
bcguy
• •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Older FF and high ISO

In my humble opinion, the 5D does very well at high ISO, but of course I must say that proper exposure is paramount when you're trying to create a clean photo. Don't look too deeply into the shadows either.

I must say, that since we had a child this past May, I've been shooting more at ISO 800+ than at any time in the past--especially now that the boy is starting to move around. If I expose to the right a little, the files cleanup easily. At ISO 800 I often don't use noise reduction at all.

I might be weird, but I think this ISO 800 photo looks very acceptable with no noise reduction at all:

Ansel serious with Oma by Dillan K, on Flickr

If you follow the link you can view it larger, if you would like.

Having said all of that, I'm no pixel peeper. If this is unacceptably noisy, I didn't notice!

As for comparing to other digital cameras, I cannot say because the 5D is the only digital camera that I've ever used.

Dec 18, 2011 at 04:39 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Older FF and high ISO

Reproduction size plays an important part in how noise is evaluated. mttran's series above shows zero noise from ISO 100 to 1600 -- all look basically identical! I can assure you that isn't the case when images are viewed at 100%, which is how I base my evaluation of noise. At 100%, noise is readily apparent at ISO 800 and above on a 5D.

Dec 19, 2011 at 12:04 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password