Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · C/Y Zeiss 35-70mm Lens Hood

JMWeaver

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · C/Y Zeiss 35-70mm Lens Hood

This may not be the most appropriate thread to use for this, but everyone knows it's easier to ask for forgiveness...

Looking for a Contax No.1 metal lens hood for a recently purchased C/Y Zeiss 35-70. Looked a little on the web and couldn't come up with anything.

Does anyone know of a good source to find one of these?

Thanks guys.

Dec 16, 2011 at 04:30 AM
helimat
• • • •
p.1 #2 · C/Y Zeiss 35-70mm Lens Hood

KEH is usually a good source for accessories.

Dec 16, 2011 at 05:04 AM
philip_pj
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · C/Y Zeiss 35-70mm Lens Hood

I use a Mamiya 55-110mm hood, all metal and available, big enough to protect the lens front:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mamiya-645-55-110mm-f4-5-manual-focus-Zoom-lens-lenshood-shade-M645-Ex-/400259703484?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d315662bc

Dec 16, 2011 at 05:20 AM
rsrsrs
• • •
p.1 #4 · C/Y Zeiss 35-70mm Lens Hood

the time i had this lens i made some tests against the olympus 35-70 3,6
the most significant difference was that the zeiss was almost flare resistant.
so maybe u dont need a hood.
maybe thats why there is no.

i did use this
http://www.lenstip.com/113.15-article-UV_filters_test_Hoya_72_mm_HMC_UV-0.html
and nothing else.

regards
r

Dec 16, 2011 at 08:41 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · C/Y Zeiss 35-70mm Lens Hood

I hate to admit, but the Zeiss 35-70/3.4 is one of very few lenses that I normally use without a hood.

Dec 16, 2011 at 11:36 AM
dcjs
• •
p.1 #6 · C/Y Zeiss 35-70mm Lens Hood

In my experience the 35-70/3.4 is indeed resistant to flare, but it loses a significant amount of contrast when used without a hood. Only noticeable when doing a direct comparison because it is still contrasty even without a hood, but the difference can hardly be ignored. In fact, I consider that loss of contrast without shielding the front element from bright light sources (and I'm not talking direct sunlight here, an overcast sky is enough!) the major optical drawback of this lens.

I did some comparison shots a while back, will see if I can find them.

Dec 16, 2011 at 11:44 AM
rsrsrs
• • •
p.1 #7 · C/Y Zeiss 35-70mm Lens Hood

btw.
almost the same with the N 24-85.
the hood stays at home. i dont wanna know how much it costs,
if u loose it ....
regardsr

Dec 16, 2011 at 12:13 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

dcjs
• •
p.1 #8 · C/Y Zeiss 35-70mm Lens Hood

These are somewhat more drastic than the images I was looking for, but I think you get the idea. There's diffused sunlight coming from a bit above the frame. The first image is with a hood and a contraption generously shielding the front element from above, the second frame is without any kind of shielding. This is at 35mm on a crop body, I have also shot comparisons at 70mm with just an overcast sky as the light source, and the loss of contrast is significant in direct comparisons without jumping out at you if you don't have an image with proper light shielding to compare to. And no, my lens isn't defective or full of dust etc..

Dec 16, 2011 at 12:21 PM
JMWeaver

p.1 #9 · C/Y Zeiss 35-70mm Lens Hood

Wow, big difference in the two photos above...

Maybe I just need to bring along a hat that I can use to sheid any bright light.

Really appreciate all the info!

Dec 16, 2011 at 12:57 PM
Michael Gordon
• •
p.1 #10 · C/Y Zeiss 35-70mm Lens Hood

Per some suggestions here, I obtained a 3 position Hoya hood.
It is not THE correct hood but functionally is very good as can be optimized for FL.
I have forgotton to bring it and have resorted to a hat or map hood that seemed to do a good job as well. One lens that is very sensitive to loss of contrast w/o hood is the Viv s1 90mm at lower mags. Not sure why, but always use a hood with it to good effect.

Dec 16, 2011 at 02:08 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · C/Y Zeiss 35-70mm Lens Hood

philip_pj wrote:
I use a Mamiya 55-110mm hood, all metal and available, big enough to protect the lens front:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mamiya-645-55-110mm-f4-5-manual-focus-Zoom-lens-lenshood-shade-M645-Ex-/400259703484?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d315662bc

Thanks Philip. I am going to order one of these. I have one of the rubber 3 position hoods, and I don't really like it - too big folded up and too floppy when I carry the camera on my RS strap. This looks nicer to use, and I'll use my hat if I need more shade!

Dec 16, 2011 at 02:56 PM
helimat
• • • •
p.1 #12 · C/Y Zeiss 35-70mm Lens Hood

The Contax hoods are on the expensive side, but are not the most practical. But they look good... I did use both an eBay cheapie rubber hood and cheapie metal one previously. Both worked fine.

Dec 16, 2011 at 10:27 PM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.1 #13 · C/Y Zeiss 35-70mm Lens Hood

"..but the Zeiss 35-70/3.4 is one of very few lenses that I normally use without a hood." You know, me too, but always a wide brimmed hat.

The Mamiya hood is large and therefore very protective of bumps, I imagine the Contax hood is the same, another reason to use some type of hood.

Those images look compelling, dcjs, it just destroyed the 2nd image - especially bad given it was a diffuse overcast...the zoom has a very large and prominent front element, so it stands to reason.

Dec 17, 2011 at 04:53 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password