Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Lr photos have blue tint in shadows on web

hondageek
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Lr photos have blue tint in shadows on web

I have a strange issue. I shot several hundred fashion photos against a white seamless last week. They look fine in Lr on my main monitor. Any shadow gradients look like a smooth gray tone. When I look at the photos on the web, or in Windows photo viewer, the shadows look like they have a slight blue tint. The smaller the image, the more it looks blue. Thumbnails from Lr on my second monitor (uncalibrated) show this also.

My main monitor is calibrated correctly. When I use the WB eyedropper in Lr on the suspect area, it comes back with RGB values that only vary within .1 % (1/100 of 1%) so they actually are gray.

Thoughts?

Dec 16, 2011 at 03:12 AM
BluesWest
• • •
p.1 #2 · Lr photos have blue tint in shadows on web

Are the browsers you're using to view the images color-managed?

John

Dec 16, 2011 at 03:33 AM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Lr photos have blue tint in shadows on web

Internet Explorer is not colour managed. Nor is Windows and it's basic utilities. Therefore anything can happen once you leave the combination of colour managed applications and correctly profiled monitors, and it can be quite different on different monitors used by different people. Dumbing your images down to sRGB may help a bit but it's nothing you can count on to work. It might help to imbed the correct colour profile into the image files (even if it just sRGB) so that the colour-savvy web browsers are more likely to get it right.

- Alan

Dec 17, 2011 at 04:45 AM
hondageek
• • •
p.1 #4 · Lr photos have blue tint in shadows on web

I exported the images in sRGB, and have only viewed them with Firefox. My calibrated sIPS monitor displays them beautifully when viewed in Lr. Outside of Lr they get a bit sketchy. I think it may have something to do with web compression when they are displayed smaller than their native file size.

Dec 17, 2011 at 02:44 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

theSuede
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Lr photos have blue tint in shadows on web

The real question is: If you open the EXPORTED jpg image in PS and check with the eyedropper, are the RGB values still balanced in the areas that are "supposed" to be neutral?

And then: If you take a screenshot (alt-gr printscreen with the application showing the problem active) and open that screenshot in PS (ctrl-N, ctrl-V to paste the screenshot from windows clipboard into PS), are the RGB values balanced?

Depending on the answer to those two questions, your problem is a lot easier to diagnosticise...

Dec 17, 2011 at 05:45 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · Lr photos have blue tint in shadows on web

hondageek wrote:
I exported the images in sRGB, and have only viewed them with Firefox. My calibrated sIPS monitor displays them beautifully when viewed in Lr. Outside of Lr they get a bit sketchy. I think it may have something to do with web compression when they are displayed smaller than their native file size.

try viewing them with a color managed image viewer or in firefox, then they should look the same

if you are using IE or basic image viewers they won't understand your monitor profile, the LUT should still be working at least so I wouldn't think it would be quite that dramatic, but it's possible. Also sRGB uses a special sRGB tone curve which is NOT gamma 2.2 so when you view sRGB images in non-color managed programs that darkest tones get shifted darker than they should be.

Dec 17, 2011 at 06:21 PM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Lr photos have blue tint in shadows on web

theSuede wrote:
The real question is: If you open the EXPORTED jpg image in PS and check with the eyedropper, are the RGB values still balanced in the areas that are "supposed" to be neutral?

+1 With color process control the only thing you can really trust are the numbers because color perception adapts. That's why its best to include a gray card in a test shot at capture.

Dec 17, 2011 at 08:14 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password