Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2011 · Portrait lens help

Tom K.
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Portrait lens help

A 100mm lens on full frame is the perfect portrait lens with regards to focal length.

Dec 16, 2011 at 06:08 PM
misternikko
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Portrait lens help

would u take the 100/2 over the 100/2.8L IS?

Dec 16, 2011 at 06:17 PM
eosfun
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Portrait lens help

Do not expect less purple fringing from the 85/1.8 on a full frame. If you didn't like it on your crop body, you won't like it on your full frame either. Itīs not less because the FOV is greater on the full frame, au contraire.... Both 85 have their chromatic abberrations, but they are quite different in character. The 1.8 shows quite some highlight purple fringing, while the 85L shows more longitudinal CA with a cyan and magenta cast diffracting in the front and back of the focus zone.

No lens is without residual abberrations. But some suffer less than others. Without any doubt macro lenses around 100mm have the best suppression of all kind of abberrations. The conversion from 3D reality to 2D sensor however is less convincing to my taste.

Another `issue` I see in a setup with the 24-105 is that the 100L doesnīt bring a lot extra, but one stop opening speed, a little better IS system and of course better close focus capabilities. In my bag with a 24-105/4.0L IS a faster portrait lens would better fit the bill, unless I was really interested in macro too.

Have EOSfun

Dec 16, 2011 at 06:50 PM
misternikko
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Portrait lens help

ughhh you kill me with your facts because they are so true. i guess it is only a stop faster than the 24-105 at 100mm. I like the 24-105 but would love more separation most of the time I use it, for example:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/data.tumblr.com/tumblr_lvcusoXsNQ1qe0hiro1_1280.jpg

i painted in a bunch of -100 clarity to obtain more separation but the fact is, it is still f/4

not interested in macro at all. just liked the 60 for portraits and thought the 100L would be the same though after reading your carefully laid out explanations doesnt seem it is ideal.

Dec 16, 2011 at 07:00 PM
eosfun
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Portrait lens help

I would, but the question was if you should From reading above I am not sure. You stated clearly you are a real `sharpness` addict. It sounds like you have given every reason to get the 100L. Maybe you should try the lenses first in a shop, if renting is not what you want. Take your favourit subject with you and shoot a few portraits with the different lenses you contemplate. Ask the shopowner if you can use your own camera body/card and take a close look to the files at home before you make a definite decision. Or try to meet some FM fellows who have one or more of these lenses in one of our FM meetings. I am sure someone is willing to let you try the lens first to find out what you like best.

Have EOSfun

Dec 16, 2011 at 07:02 PM
gpop
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Portrait lens help

do you still own the 60 e-fs?

Dec 16, 2011 at 07:05 PM
misternikko
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Portrait lens help

sadly no I sold with all my EFS gear and cropper.

Dec 16, 2011 at 07:13 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

misternikko
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Portrait lens help

eosfun wrote:
I would, but the question was if you should From reading above I am not sure. You stated clearly you are a real `sharpness` addict. It sounds like you have given every reason to get the 100L. Maybe you should try the lenses first in a shop, if renting is not what you want. Take your favourit subject with you and shoot a few portraits with the different lenses you contemplate. Ask the shopowner if you can use your own camera body/card and take a close look to the files at home before you make a definite decision.
...Show more

never heard of these meetings?! where do i sign up lol

Dec 16, 2011 at 07:16 PM
eosfun
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Portrait lens help

just liked the 60 for portraits and thought the 100L would be the same though after reading your carefully laid out explanations doesnt seem it is ideal

It is this sentence that makes it clear enough that you will be very happy with the 100. If you like the 60, the 100L on full frame is even better. Not because the glass itself is way better, it's practically the same I believe in terms of resolution and lens abberrations, but because you use the 100L on full frame and because you will have IS. Read my posts carefully, am not saying it the 100L is not ideal, this is primarily a matter of taste and it's all subtle. I made it clear where my preferences are, but that doesn't mean your own preferences are less valid. It's perfectly well possible that the 100L is your ideal portrait lens. It's all about EOSfun, and fortunately all of us EOS shooters have our own kinds of it

Dec 16, 2011 at 07:29 PM
eosfun
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Portrait lens help

never heard of these meetings?! where do i sign up lol

Have a look at our other boards. We not only have our EOSfun place, but lots of other interesting boards as well. The events and meeting board is here:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/board/51

You are invited to post your own meeting and ask other members to meet and make it clear what you want. Why not initiate a portrait session in your surroundings and invite others to join, especially those who own a 100L, 135L, 85/1.8 or 100/2.0 to join. Bring in your own gear and also invite some pretty women, like your own girl friend and those of other members and have fun one day. I am sure you'll come back with great photos and probably live-experience with lenses that you'd like to try. We have done this kind of sessions more than once with FM members here in the Netherlands and it has always been great EOSfun

Dec 16, 2011 at 07:35 PM
misternikko
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Portrait lens help

Thanks for the tip! Done!

There is also a shop here that has the 100L that im gonna go try out as soon as I can bum a ride (broke my ankle last week playing ball )

Dec 16, 2011 at 07:55 PM
Tom K.
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Portrait lens help

misternikko wrote:

Either one will do. IS is nice....so is f/2.

Dec 17, 2011 at 04:26 AM
bcguy
• •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Portrait lens help

You're planning on getting the 135 f/2L, so I'd consider an 85mm of one type or another. It would give you a focal length quite different from either your 35mm or the 135mm. Getting a 100mm f/2.8L would be nice, but wouldn't it be too close to 135mm?

That's just my $0.02 Canadian. I'm no expert, but that's the way I'd be thinking. I own a 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro, so I do like the focal length. I use it for portraits more than anything else. I just think it might be too close to 135mm.

Dec 18, 2011 at 09:10 PM
anthonygh
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Portrait lens help

The original 70 - 200L f4 is a great portrait lens.......it matches the f1.8 85mm for sharpness at equivalent length and apertures....if a sitter has any level of skin blemish it will show.

Dec 19, 2011 at 02:24 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password