Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · **UPDATED** Black Rapid + Arca Plates

M635_Guy
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · **UPDATED** Black Rapid + Arca Plates

I've seen some solutions on another forum, but wondering how many of you on Arca plates have a quick-mount/unmount solution you like for using the Black Rapid strap? Pix appreciated!

Edited on Dec 20, 2011 at 08:53 PM · View previous versions

Dec 15, 2011 at 04:23 AM
hfgarris
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · **UPDATED** Black Rapid + Arca Plates

Here is an example straight from the RRS website using their screw-clamp on the R-Strap.
Check out the right-most picture (4th over), and the last paragraph of the description.

http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=B2-FAB&type=0&eq=&desc=B2-FAB-38mm-clamp-with-threaded-socket&key=it

I use the Kirk 1" screw clamp which is a bit smaller and cheaper.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/555485-REG/Kirk_QRC_1_0_QRC_1_Quick_Release_Clamp.html

I think you have probably seen the threads and photos over on POTN which discuss this solution.

-howard

Dec 15, 2011 at 05:29 PM
Mr Joe
• • • •
p.1 #3 · **UPDATED** Black Rapid + Arca Plates

That is a really great idea. Thanks for posting this!

Dec 15, 2011 at 07:51 PM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.1 #4 · **UPDATED** Black Rapid + Arca Plates

Howard - I'm in that thread, but was wondering if anyone here had a better solution. I don't like the RRS solution because their mounting stubs will be under the Black Rapid connector, and $60 is a lot for the plate for what I'm using it for.

I placed an order today, and I'm actually merging a couple of the ideas in that thread to a solution I think is safe and usable. It is based on the Kirk 1" plate. I'll post the results Monday/Tuesday.

Dec 16, 2011 at 01:54 AM
hfgarris
• •
p.1 #5 · **UPDATED** Black Rapid + Arca Plates

Yeah, I like the Kirk plates with the flat surfaces, but I still used blue Loctite on the screw-in fastener.

I would like to see a direct strap-slider to clamp solution ... eliminate the locking carabiner part completely.

-howard

Dec 16, 2011 at 02:11 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

M635_Guy
• • • •
p.1 #6 · **UPDATED** Black Rapid + Arca Plates

hfgarris wrote:
Yeah, I like the Kirk plates with the flat surfaces, but I still used blue Loctite on the screw-in fastener.

I'll definitely be using blue Loctite. Can't see a reason not to do that...

Dec 16, 2011 at 03:08 AM
alpenglowing
• •
p.1 #7 · **UPDATED** Black Rapid + Arca Plates

I use this ultimate strap with my Arca setup. Works perfectly

Dec 16, 2011 at 06:05 PM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.1 #8 · **UPDATED** Black Rapid + Arca Plates

So here is the solution I came up with. It was inspired by a thread over at POTN, but I sort of pushed a couple ideas together and adjusted the attachment of the safety strap.

I got the Kirk QRC-1 plate and the safety strap today, and I'm liking this setup a lot!!

This is the Op/Tech "H" loop (weird part numbers - might be 1301062) and the Kirk plate.

I attached the loop on the base ring of the Black Rapid, since the swivel is a likely point of failure. Ease of use is excellent. Easily better, I'd say, than screwing in the FastenR and safer.

There's a full writeup on my blog, but those are the main points. I'm a happy guy now!

Edited on Dec 21, 2011 at 04:23 AM · View previous versions

Dec 20, 2011 at 08:57 PM
hfgarris
• •
p.1 #9 · **UPDATED** Black Rapid + Arca Plates

Looks good!

Every user is different, but I prefer to put the clamp knob pointing forward under the lens, doesn't poke me in the face that way and is out of the way.

You are correct, I think, that the "weakest link" is probably the locking carabiner, specifically the screw-swivel connecting it to the strap slider part. Make sure that screw is tight and put some Loctite on it for safety. I would like to see a way to eliminate the carabiner altogether and have the strap-slider connect directly to the clamp.

Thanks for posting the pictures of your setup...

-howard

Dec 20, 2011 at 09:33 PM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.1 #10 · **UPDATED** Black Rapid + Arca Plates

hfgarris wrote:
Looks good!

Every user is different, but I prefer to put the clamp knob pointing forward under the lens, doesn't poke me in the face that way and is out of the way.

You are correct, I think, that the "weakest link" is probably the locking carabiner, specifically the screw-swivel connecting it to the strap slider part. Make sure that screw is tight and put some Loctite on it for safety. I would like to see a way to eliminate the carabiner altogether and have the strap-slider connect directly to the clamp.

Thanks for posting the pictures of your setup...

-howard

- Howard just called me stupid in the nicest way possible

My plan is to have the knob under the lens - in my excitement to have it together, I took the picture incorrectly. I've updated the picture.

As far as the swivel, that is my thought, too. I've worked for years in the area of PC peripherals, and one of the toughest things for a carrying case is a strap with a swivel that is bearing a consistently inconsistent load.

Loctite will be applied, but the safety strap will ensure I'm not worrying about the rig.

Dec 21, 2011 at 01:12 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password