New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · old vs new

fracas
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · old vs new

At the airport, waiting for my flight, I saw this man with his mobile in contrast with the old no more used phones.... what do you think about? How could I improve PP?

thanks,
francesco

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6216/6250240350_9e84441d1f_b.jpg

Dec 14, 2011 at 05:37 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · old vs new

Interesting message, but it would be stronger if the subject was turned a little to show the cell phone to his ear.

Dec 14, 2011 at 06:00 PM
JHut
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · old vs new

I agree with karen about the phone. This photo could use a little vertical lens correction. I corrected and cloned out the pole sticking out of his head. ..... along with some window streaks. Here is my version:

http://www.littlepawsontheprairie.com/fred-miranda/6mod.jpg

Dec 14, 2011 at 06:21 PM
fracas
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · old vs new

thanks for all your suggestions ... I think I will go B&W and obviously will correct vertical convergence

cheers
francesco

Dec 16, 2011 at 02:15 AM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · old vs new

What you have here is the perfect situation for creating a "ping-pong" composition where two objects of equal attraction oppose each other with a less interesting gap in the middle forcing the viewer's eye to jump between them like following the ball watching a ping-pong or tennis match. That works better with only one phone booth...

http://super.nova.org/EDITS/Airport.jpg

While the windows are tinted and the camera captured that accurately, eyes in person would adapt to the tint and not see it, so I normalized the color with the eye dropper tool.

I also agree this is a good candidate for a B&W conversion because the color content don't add anything and tends to distract...
http://super.nova.org/EDITS/AirportBW.jpg

The choice of the darker gray mat is to make the tone of the foreground figures contrast more. I made it wider on the sides to add back, symmetrically, the negative space lost in making the square crop.

As for C&C on the capture of them image, had you lowered the POV of the camera a bit more you would have been able to eliminate the tops of the cars seen outside in the foreground for a cleaner, less distracting background. Also shallower DOF to slightly blur the background would have more effectively isolated the foreground.

Dec 16, 2011 at 07:37 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · old vs new

I didnt do it, but others did.
The post coming out of the guy's head should be removed.

Dec 16, 2011 at 07:42 AM
TrojanHorse
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · old vs new

I think that the subject matter in the background detracts from what you're trying to accomplish. It's really busy and competes for the eye's attention. Without your accompanying explanation it's difficult to tell what the image is supposed to be showing.

I like the concept, maybe instead of silhouettes you need to blow out the background.

Dec 16, 2011 at 05:09 PM
JHut
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · old vs new

cgardner wrote:
What you have here is the perfect situation for creating a "ping-pong" composition where two objects of equal attraction oppose each other with a less interesting gap in the middle forcing the viewer's eye to jump between them like following the ball watching a ping-pong or tennis match. That works better with only one phone booth...

Very Cool! I like what cg did here

Dec 16, 2011 at 07:37 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.