Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Printing digital watercolor prints

J4644
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Printing digital watercolor prints

Hi,

Would like some input on what papers are best to print digital watercolor images with an Epson 3800. Anyone that has printed these and has been happy with their results, please let me know.

Thanks,

Jim

Dec 14, 2011 at 03:07 PM
kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #2 · Printing digital watercolor prints

Hi Jim,

Selecting the "right media" for a watercolor image is a really open ended question---there are a lot of them out there. I usually try select fine art media that I print an image with--- that will compliment the image (warmth, texture, etc.).

Try, www.breathingcolor.com Optica One and Elegance Velvet Platinum.

I also like media from Hahnemuhle, particularly Bamboo (warm), Sugar Cane, and starting to try Rice Paper.

ken

Dec 14, 2011 at 03:36 PM
J4644
• • •
p.1 #3 · Printing digital watercolor prints

Hi Ken,

I agree with your objective to match the image that you have with various media that complement it. However, having not printed any watercolor images on any paper at all, I have no knowledge of what works and what does not. Before I spend and possibly waste any money, I am looking for a good starting media that will work well with many images.

I thank you for the link and will take a look at it. I will also take a look at the specific types you use and have listed.

Let me ask you his, what was the first paper you started out with and what were the shortcomings of that paper that made you look for another paper?

Thanks,

Jim

Dec 14, 2011 at 04:28 PM
kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #4 · Printing digital watercolor prints

Hi Jim,

I've avoided "cheaper" medias and have really not had any "stinkers" in terms of media that I keep in stock. The papers I've listed above, I keep in stock---they work well for me. Elegance Velvet and Optica were among the first fine art papers I tried, and they remain popular. Hahn was added later. Rice paper so far seems most limiting in application.

I'd suggest getting "trial rolls/sheets" if possible that may help in your selection. Breathing Color offers trial media so that may be helpful. Epson recently had a free trial pack offering of its Signature Papers and that is definitely worth getting your hands on. It's pretty subjective---if you can find a local retailer that will let you touch/see/feel would be great.

Dec 14, 2011 at 05:48 PM
J4644
• • •
p.1 #5 · Printing digital watercolor prints

Ken,

Thanks once again. I think I will get a trial roll of the Elegance Velvet for $25.00 and see how it works.

Jim

Dec 14, 2011 at 07:24 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password