Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       end

Archive 2011 · Used D700 prices after D800 is out?

j.liam
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · Used D700 prices after D800 is out?

You know, the hypothetical D4 is purported to be 16-18 MP. The D700 @ 12 MP (large) still serves most users' purposes. And while 36 sounds sexy, you're going to need some damned good (new) lenses to make that sensor sing. You're old 17-35 just wont cut it.

Just sayin'.

Dec 20, 2011 at 03:04 AM
M Lucca
• • •
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · Used D700 prices after D800 is out?

j.liam wrote:
You know, the hypothetical D4 is purported to be 16-18 MP. The D700 @ 12 MP (large) still serves most users' purposes. And while 36 sounds sexy, you're going to need some damned good (new) lenses to make that sensor sing. You're old 17-35 just wont cut it.

Just sayin'.

I'm sure Nikon will be happy to sell you new lenses.

120hp honda civic is enough for most driver's purposes. But 360hp boo-yeah!

Dec 20, 2011 at 03:30 AM
j.liam
• • • •
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · Used D700 prices after D800 is out?

I ain't buying

Dec 20, 2011 at 03:41 AM
Carl Feather
• • •
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · Used D700 prices after D800 is out?

I won't be selling my D700 and doubt if I will get a D800. Two different animals. The 36mp files scare me. Sounds like more business for flash card, hard drive and processor manufacturers. I'm tired of this hamster cage.

Dec 20, 2011 at 08:47 PM
j.liam
• • • •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · Used D700 prices after D800 is out?

Carl Feather wrote:
I won't be selling my D700 and doubt if I will get a D800. Two different animals. The 36mp files scare me. Sounds like more business for flash card, hard drive and processor manufacturers. I'm tired of this hamster cage.

...and video appeals to a select subset of users. Personally, I don't need it and when I do I can always rent one. Instead of these software and hardware-bloated cameras, would love to see Nikon make something different and small for a change, along the lines of Fujifilms latest.

An FE/FM2 sized camera optimized for MF and lightweight. No video. No anti-aliasing filter. 18 MP sensor will do.

Dec 20, 2011 at 09:53 PM
HerbChong
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · Used D700 prices after D800 is out?

measure your iPad and see. the LCD on the back of the D700 is only a few mm thick. see what that does. even 2mm translates into a lot more when all is said and done.

Herb...

philipj wrote:
I don't buy that argument at all. You've seen the iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, etc, right?

Dec 20, 2011 at 09:58 PM
M Lucca
• • •
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · Used D700 prices after D800 is out?

j.liam wrote:
...and video appeals to a select subset of users. .

Actually hdslr has gained in popularity quite a bit since Vincent Leforet's Reverie using a 5d2. Movie-making with HDSLR is hot!!! Nikon is missing a good chunk of money here. Lots folks snapping up 5D2 and 7D for movie making purposes exclusively. From indie movie makers to TV shows and commercials, those EOS hdslr makes for great bang for the buck in terms of movie making devices. With its large sensor vs. typical video cameras, film makers are able to get wonderful DoF shots. Nikon is no where to be seen in this growing market segment.

Sure some folks don't care for those. This segment is revenue generating. Nikon is in the business of making money. It is once again playing catch up to Canon much like back in 2005 when Canon came out with a 5D and Nikon claimed that FF is a niche product. 3 years later, Nikon finally came out with its own D700 after seeing the success of Canon's compact FF. It will be stupid of Nikon to not follow suit and put HD capabilities to make use of the inherent qualities of a FF sensor.

Don't stand in the way of progress.

Dec 20, 2011 at 10:08 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

j.liam
• • • •
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · Used D700 prices after D800 is out?

"Progress" should not be defined as the endless addition of features, whether to a device or a bit of software. There's an inherent elegance to well thought-out, intuitively designed, compact and efficient devices that have a clear identity. The reason why Leica M2's and M3's are still valued, 50 years after their introduction.

Dec 21, 2011 at 02:15 AM
jhinkey
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · Used D700 prices after D800 is out?

Yes, "progress" is a subjective term.

Dec 21, 2011 at 04:03 AM
M Lucca
• • •
p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · Used D700 prices after D800 is out?

j.liam wrote:
"Progress" should not be defined as the endless addition of features, whether to a device or a bit of software. There's an inherent elegance to well thought-out, intuitively designed, compact and efficient devices that have a clear identity. The reason why Leica M2's and M3's are still valued, 50 years after their introduction.

Please don't get confused with nostalgia. Nikon is not Leica. In the same vein as a Toyota is not Porsche. No one collects Camrys to relive memories of yore mkay.

Psst.... wanna buy a used but mint "vintage" D100?

Dec 21, 2011 at 05:24 PM
j.liam
• • • •
p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · Used D700 prices after D800 is out?

M Lucca wrote:
Please don't get confused with nostalgia. Nikon is not Leica. In the same vein as a Toyota is not Porsche. No one collects Camrys to relive memories of yore mkay.

Psst.... wanna buy a used but mint "vintage" D100?

No, but lots of people buy vintage FM2n's and FM3A's and not for nostalgia.
Would hardly equate a Nikon to a Toyota, especially considering these two.

Dec 21, 2011 at 06:02 PM
niXer
• • •
p.5 #12 · p.5 #12 · Used D700 prices after D800 is out?

Not that I can afford either camera but I think the D700 won't drop that much.

The D800, if rumors are to believed, seems to be a mini-D3X rather than a D700 replacement so the D700 owners will not be upgraded. There will be some that will but not in droves.

When there is a D700 replacement, at least I believe there will be one, then I could see the D700 dropping hopefully under $1700. If it gets to $1500, I will jump on that.

Also never use eBay as an indicator. At least look at closed auctions, anyone can set a price, doesn't mean anyone is going to buy it for that plus you have to realize the seller is trying to cover his PP + ebay + shipping fees.

Dec 21, 2011 at 11:56 PM
M Lucca
• • •
p.5 #13 · p.5 #13 · Used D700 prices after D800 is out?

^ whoa! Dude this is freaky! I thought I posted that!!!

Nikon is Toyota like Canon is Honda. Please they make cameras. Stop romanticizing these devices.

Dec 22, 2011 at 12:09 AM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password