Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       end

Archive 2011 · Used D700 prices after D800 is out?

nikt
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · Used D700 prices after D800 is out?

I'm betting that , assuming some relevance of the rumours, the D800 will be priced at about $3800. The demand is huge, so why would Nikon not take advantage of it.

That means that the D700 will hold it's value as many "upgraders" hold off for a while.

Well, I'm probably wrong about all this anyway so doesn't really matter what I think.

Dec 18, 2011 at 01:21 PM
Two23
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #2 · Used D700 prices after D800 is out?

rhyder wrote:
Its 12 MP, Kent, not 10. If you had tried one (D700) and could see what its does with its 12 MP you would be amazed. You have to understand that not all MPs are created equal, the pixels actually come in different sizes. Its not more is better.

Got mixed up on the 10mp thing. I did try a D700 on two different weekends and shot a lot with it day & night along with D300. I honestly didn't see much difference. Certainly not enough to justify spending ~$4,000 (net) to upgrade my lenses to FX. Just to be sure, I took a group of five similar shots each with D300, D700, D80, (using tripod) & printed to 8x10 and also saved in TIFF. I showed these in person to one of the magazine editors I often submit to and asked him to pick out the shots he liked, as usual. He actually selected more from the D300 & D80 piles than he did the D700 pile. I asked if he could see much difference in the image quality of the shots and tell me how many different cameras I might have used. He studied them, but could not consistently see any difference. The bottom line for me is if my customers can't see any difference, why should I pay $4,000 for camera & lens changes? I refuse to buy crappy old lenses just so I can afford a camera. I am constantly running into problems with not enough res from D300 and D700 is no better. I sometimes have to crop down and neither camera has all that many pixels to begin with. The reach factor on DX is important to me as I find I often shoot my 70-200mm f2.8 VR at 200mm. To get the same quality on an FX I'd have to buy the Nikon 300mm f2.8 VR. That's about $5,000 last I looked. What do I gain by doing that?

The historical trend on cameras has been the formats are getting smaller. Very few people are buying FX, and I wonder how viable it is long term. Time will tell. One thing is certain though. After reading internet message boards since about 1995 I've seen that there is always the "hot" camera everyone is talking about how great it is. At one time it was the N90s. Another time not so long ago it was the D100. As soon as the next camera comes out, the prices on the former "hot" model begin to drop like crazy, even though they are more evolutionary than revolutionary. This all costs thousands of dollars, and I don't want to play the "hot" camera game. I've been putting the money into lighting system ($6K), lenses ($6K), and travel. (I've also been buying LF historical lenses, especially pre-1865.) It appears that the best performance/cost strategy seems to be to stick to Nikon's mid priced bodes (D300/D7000) and upgrade every other model. So, that's what I've been doing. I'm positive I haven't lost any sales doing this. So no, there's no chance I'll buy a used D700 for even $1,200 but instead am looking at what a D400 will do. If I was a full time wedding photographer my needs might be different. What I really want is more resolution.

As for prices of next model Nikons, the pattern has been that Nikon keeps the price point. I'm expecting a D400 to be right around $1,500 and a D800 to be right around $2,800. Currency fluctuations not included, of course. Nikon has seemed to stick to price points pretty consistently.

Kent in SD

Dec 18, 2011 at 04:02 PM
rhyder
• • • •
p.4 #3 · Used D700 prices after D800 is out?

Sorry you and your editor couldn't see the difference. You probably won't see much of a difference with ordinary shots under ordinary conditions. If your customers are happy why would you need more MP? Sounds like you have everything you'll ever need right now......or.....www.lencrafters.com......

Dec 18, 2011 at 04:28 PM
pr4photos
• • •
p.4 #4 · Used D700 prices after D800 is out?

I have both a D300 and a D700, and only have pro FX glass. The difference between the two in image quality is quite big. Am guessing its not if you have cheaper lenses

Dec 18, 2011 at 05:35 PM
Two23
• • • •
p.4 #5 · Used D700 prices after D800 is out?

pr4photos wrote:
I have both a D300 and a D700, and only have pro FX glass. The difference between the two in image quality is quite big. Am guessing its not if you have cheaper lenses

Current lenses are Tokina 11-16mm f2.8, Nikons 17-55mm f2.8, 70-200mm f2.8 VR, 80-400mm VR, 28mm PC, Sigma 30mm f1.4, Nikon 300mm f4 AFS. Tripod is Gitzo 1325cf + AcraTech. Nothing really cheap here, and all but one lens is modern with digital coatings. The shots I showed the magazine editor were daytime shots, f8, ISO 200. Virtually no difference in image quality between the cameras using same lenses. I do shoot at night quite a bit, but with ~10,000ws of flash power I usually shoot ISO 800, f5.6 or f8. Again, not much discernible difference in image quality. I think what would make the biggest difference in image quality for me would be to buy a 24mm PCE. As is, I have to shoot 4x5 to get the needed lens movements for some kinds of landscape and architectural shots. The difference from a t/s lens will be much more noticeable than a camera change. If I were a full time wedding & event photog, my priorities would be different. Match the gear to the use.

Kent in SD

Dec 18, 2011 at 07:07 PM
Gaylon Holmes
• • •
p.4 #6 · Used D700 prices after D800 is out?

Two23 wrote:
....If I were a full time wedding & event photog, my priorities would be different. Match the gear to the use.

But if we were to do that we would not be able to puff out our chests and categorically claim camera A is absolutely better than camera B.

Dec 18, 2011 at 07:19 PM
pr4photos
• • •
p.4 #7 · Used D700 prices after D800 is out?

I wasn't trying to puff out my chest lol and it makes no odds to me as I own both the d300 and the d700 and am very happy with both, but in comparing them I do find the d700 is a lot sharper and holds more detail (I shoot RAW with both). I didn't expect that to be the case as I had read that they are virtually identical at low iso's but that's what I have found.

Dec 18, 2011 at 10:49 PM
Gaylon Holmes
• • •
p.4 #8 · Used D700 prices after D800 is out?

I owned both until recently, too, and under normal scenarios and ISO values I certainly cannot see any dramatic differences in terms of detail or sharpness that is not attributable to the lens concerned.

Two23 makes a valid point about matching equipment to the specific scenario. Both the D300 and D700 yield excellent image quality and each gains a leg up on the other in certain applications better suited to its particular strengths.

Dec 18, 2011 at 11:10 PM
philipj
• • •
p.4 #9 · Used D700 prices after D800 is out?

Just to add a data point to the conversation, I picked up a used D700 (originally purchased in 2009, ~33k actuations, but body looks mint) for $1650. So there are still deals to be had out there right now.

Dec 18, 2011 at 11:23 PM
Gaylon Holmes
• • •
p.4 #10 · Used D700 prices after D800 is out?

philipj wrote:
Just to add a data point to the conversation, I picked up a used D700 (originally purchased in 2009, ~33k actuations, but body looks mint) for $1650. So there are still deals to be had out there right now.

That was a sweet score

Dec 18, 2011 at 11:31 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

static808
• •
p.4 #11 · Used D700 prices after D800 is out?

Two23 wrote:
The shots I showed the magazine editor were daytime shots, f8, ISO 200. Virtually no difference in image quality between the cameras using same lenses.

Kent in SD

that right there is the key. at base iso and f8, i completely agree that there should be no discernible difference in IQ between DX and FX. but show the same editor some shots at iso1600+, and the difference becomes very apparent.

some shooters need clean high ISO's. some need/want shallow DOF. some never purchased DX lenses and have a large collection of lenses designed for film. for these shooters, FX is a very appealing format.

but i applaud your decision to stay with DX, since it obviously meets your needs. you are indeed better off getting lighting/lenses and travel. for your shooting needs, they serve you much better than switching over to FX. happy shooting...

Dec 19, 2011 at 01:09 AM
saaketham
• • • • •
p.4 #12 · Used D700 prices after D800 is out?

philipj wrote:

Yeah, the used prices seem to be all over the place. Wonder what it'll settle at. I may buy one before the D800 announcement - in case the D800 price is $3000+, in which case many D700 owners may not sell their precious camera.

Dec 19, 2011 at 02:56 AM
philipj
• • •
p.4 #13 · Used D700 prices after D800 is out?

saaketham wrote:
Yeah, the used prices seem to be all over the place. Wonder what it'll settle at. I may buy one before the D800 announcement - in case the D800 price is $3000+, in which case many D700 owners may not sell their precious camera.

I recognize it's a completely different system, but the price of the initial Nikon 1 offerings probably tells us that the D4/D800 will also be on the high side, at least initially. Nikon's also likely in a sellers market, as people have been clamouring for an upgraded camera for a while now, and can probably dictate a high price initially while supplies will be constrained.

All speculation until they're announced though!

Dec 19, 2011 at 03:28 AM
Thorsten
• • •
p.4 #14 · Used D700 prices after D800 is out?

It would be nice (especially if the D800 has this crazy high MP count), if the D3s sensor (as the D3s is soon discontinued) would move down to the D700, and we'd get a D700s after all.

Dec 19, 2011 at 04:18 AM
philipj
• • •
p.4 #15 · Used D700 prices after D800 is out?

Thorsten wrote:
It would be nice (especially if the D800 has this crazy high MP count), if the D3s sensor (as the D3s is soon discontinued) would move down to the D700, and we'd get a D700s after all.

My only guess as to why that hasn't already happened is that the D700 sales have remained strong, and they haven't wanted to cannibalize the D3s's sales with a D700s, because otherwise it's a no brainer.

That being said, I've said it before, and I'll keep saying it until it comes true: I'd love nothing more than a D3s sensor in an FM2n-style body. ~12MP with amazing low light performance in a smaller, lighter, retro body. It would be canon nirvana for me.

Or I'll just have to win the lottery and get an M9.

Dec 19, 2011 at 04:26 AM
HerbChong
• • • • •
p.4 #16 · Used D700 prices after D800 is out?

the requirement for a rear LCD for status means it will never happen. the body + LCD thickness puts you at D700 size.

Herb...

philipj wrote:
That being said, I've said it before, and I'll keep saying it until it comes true: I'd love nothing more than a D3s sensor in an FM2n-style body. ~12MP with amazing low light performance in a smaller, lighter, retro body.

Dec 19, 2011 at 04:09 PM
workerdrone
• • •
p.4 #17 · Used D700 prices after D800 is out?

^that being said, and I've said it before, give me a D3s sensor in an FM2 style body even if I get no LCD at all. The FM2 didn't have one. Let me clip on an external one or plug it in or use my smartphone to chimp and change advanced settings.

Dec 19, 2011 at 07:38 PM
philipj
• • •
p.4 #18 · Used D700 prices after D800 is out?

HerbChong wrote:
the requirement for a rear LCD for status means it will never happen. the body + LCD thickness puts you at D700 size.

Herb...

I don't buy that argument at all. You've seen the iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, etc, right?

Dec 19, 2011 at 10:55 PM
BioBanker
• •
p.4 #19 · Used D700 prices after D800 is out?

Prices are already coming down as people are looking to offload unnecessary bodies in advance.

Who knows where prices will go. Perhaps people won't want the new bodies and used cameras won't be impacted. Perhaps everyone will firesale D3s and D3S'.

Best indication is to look at where the previous generattion has been trading as a floor, for now.

Dec 20, 2011 at 12:22 AM
M Lucca
• • •
p.4 #20 · Used D700 prices after D800 is out?

Even if the d800 is announced tomorrow, it will not be on the stores immediately. And when it finally arrives at the store it will be at MSRP. It will be another year before MSRP turns to street price. Not gonna expect d700 used prices to come down soon.

Dec 20, 2011 at 12:33 AM
1       2       3      
       5       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password