Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Larson Flying Starfish

hockeypro870

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Larson Flying Starfish

I have recently recieved two 72" Larson Flying Starfish umbrellas/ sort of softbox. I was wondering if anyone has ever used these and how I can get the best results. These things retail for $800 each but I couldn't really find much info on them. Thanks in advance

The Larson website can be found here with pictures of what I am talking about.

http://larson-ent.com/detail294__FLYING_STARFISH.htm

Dec 14, 2011 at 07:27 AM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Larson Flying Starfish

Haven't used the unit you mention but still use Larson reflectors I got in the 70's it's well built gear.

The description at the link should give you some ideas how to use it conventionally. Unconventionally if you wanted to simulate the light of a high window you might cover the the bottom half with the black "gobo" panels. Opening every other panel would create an interesting pattern and catchlights in the eyes. You just need to experiment and see what you get

Dec 14, 2011 at 12:56 PM
hockeypro870

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Larson Flying Starfish

That is a pretty interesting idea. I'll have to play with the panels and she what happens

Dec 16, 2011 at 05:01 AM
Mark Sisco
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Larson Flying Starfish

The way I've seen it used is as a background light for high key by hanging it above and infront of the background and by closing the panels on the side of the subject. I have also seen it used in conjunction with a Larry Peters highlighter for a glamor effect.

Dec 16, 2011 at 04:45 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Brit-007
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Larson Flying Starfish

I use one all the time for my portrait work. Really nice lighting. I use it as a main light, it produces soft lighting and very soft shadows. The effect you want can be controlled by the flaps. I purchased mine in the late 70's in the UK and still use it today. Mine has a backplate to fit my Multiblitz lights.

Dec 16, 2011 at 08:12 PM
DavidSchneider

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Larson Flying Starfish

I used to have a 72" Starfish. I now have two 52" Starfish (one with wings) and a 32" Starfish as well as a lot of regular Larson soffboxes.

I would say the Starfish with wings can be made to do about anything in a studio, although I use my Larson 4x6 much more as a main light. Without question though, the Fish are great for high key.

As for how to use a Fish, that's going to be a trial and error sort of thing. If you are talking portraits, I'd start with it almost perpendicular to the subject and then test it as you turn it into the subject. Since you have two, I'd then put one in back of camera, on the opposite side as the other one and use it for fill, just remember it will throw light all over the place, including the background, which might be good or not.

Dec 17, 2011 at 11:57 PM
akfreak

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Larson Flying Starfish

Send me one I will tell you all about it when I am done testing it.

Dec 21, 2011 at 09:07 AM
dtaylor52

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Larson Flying Starfish

These are my absolute most favorite light modifier! Using the large starfish as a main light is about as close to natural window light as you can get. I actually use a set-up a little different than most. I use a 32 inch starfish as a fill and the 72 inch as the main. The results are great!
BTW, if you are considering selling one, let me know

Dec 22, 2011 at 04:08 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password