New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · 5D MK II - How to use IR Remote & Mirror Lockup

jzucker
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5D MK II - How to use IR Remote & Mirror Lockup

Is it possible?

My IR doesn't trigger the lockup and if I lockup with the shutter button in "remote/timer" mode it starts the self timer and is unresponsive to the IR remote. If I try to trigger the mirror lockup in that mode with the remote it does a normal mirror-bounce exposure.

Edited on Dec 13, 2011 at 08:11 PM · View previous versions

Dec 13, 2011 at 08:04 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5D MK II - How to use IR Remote & Mirror Lockup

What camera is it? Have you tried it with enable MLU and drive mode on self timer 2 second-delay?

Dec 13, 2011 at 08:09 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 5D MK II - How to use IR Remote & Mirror Lockup

jcolwell wrote:
What camera is it? Have you tried it with enable MLU and drive mode on self timer 2 second-delay?

5D MK II, yes I'm enabling MLU and 2 sec self timer. Using the remote in that mode ignores the MLU setting and does a regular up/down mirror exposure if I initially trigger with the remote. If I push the shutter button to lock the mirror up, it ignores the remote and just uses the timer.

Dec 13, 2011 at 08:15 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 5D MK II - How to use IR Remote & Mirror Lockup

Unfortunately, camera manuals don't mention use of the RC-1 with bulb and mirror lockup (MLU). This omission has lead to confusion and misinformation about the RC-1 and these features. Take heart, the RC-1 is fully capable of controlling both bulb and MLU. For bulb exposures, fire the RC-1 once to open the shutter and again to close it.

For mirror lockup: set the MLU CF (CF3-1 on the 5D2), set either of the self-timer/remote modes (it works the same on immediate release and 2-second delay with the RC-1) and fire the RC-1 set to 2 second delay. The mirror immediately swings up and the exposure is made 2 seconds later. MLU is not available on all models ( I seem to recall some Rebel lacking it). I remember some early film EOS lacking MLU in CF but it engaged as default when you used the 2-second delay with the RC-1. Wish the 5D2 worked the same way...

Dec 13, 2011 at 08:19 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 5D MK II - How to use IR Remote & Mirror Lockup

Gochugogi wrote:
Unfortunately, camera manuals don't mention use of the RC-1 with bulb and mirror lockup (MLU). This omission has lead to confusion and misinformation about the RC-1 and these features. Take heart, the RC-1 is fully capable of controlling both bulb and MLU. For bulb exposures, fire the RC-1 once to open the shutter and again to close it.

For mirror lockup: set the MLU CF (CF3-1 on the 5D2), set either of the self-timer/remote modes (it works the same on immediate release and 2-second delay with the RC-1) and fire the RC-1 set to 2 second delay. The mirror immediately
...Show more

I have the RC-6. There is no 2 sec delay option. Will the MLU work with the tethered remote?

Dec 13, 2011 at 08:44 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.