Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2011 · Received my First AsukaBook!!

eskimochaos
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Received my First AsukaBook!!

I just received my first AsukaBook. I ordered an 80 page 15x10" Lay-Flat book with the faux leather cover. Included is a hard felt lined case with CD holder. I'ts a gift for my parents for Christmas. The pictures are of the European cruiser that we went on that spurred my DSLR purchase back in the summer.

The fit, finish, print quality, and overall feel of the book is worlds above anything I could have ever imagined. It was worth every single penny. I'm beyond anal about printing and the quality that the HP Indigo presses that they use is gorgeous. Every single detail is present in these 5D2 shots after correctly output sizing and sharpening them in CS5. Color is [I]spot [/I]on with my calibrated IPS display and they are nearly identical to the soft proofs.

For those of you who don't know, they're printed and white-glove inspected in Japan then shipped back to the US. All told it took nearly 3 weeks even when I purchased "rush" processing.

They've got a customer for life.

Edited on Dec 21, 2011 at 12:57 PM · View previous versions

Dec 13, 2011 at 05:14 PM
tomrock
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Received my First AsukaBook!!

I understand your enthusiasm. They do great work.

Dec 13, 2011 at 09:20 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Received my First AsukaBook!!

Do you mind sharing the costs?
If I recall, you have to register first to see their pricelist.
Scot

Dec 14, 2011 at 01:52 AM
eskimochaos
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Received my First AsukaBook!!

I'd rather not. I poked around the internet and couldn't find any info so I'm not going to be the first.

It's is far from cheap; however, you get what you pay for.

Dec 14, 2011 at 02:46 AM
WAYCOOL
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Received my First AsukaBook!!

I believe your review and they look good but if they make me register to see a price list then a sale to me will never be made.

No price, click move on. but thanks for the review.

Dec 14, 2011 at 03:58 AM
eskimochaos
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Received my First AsukaBook!!

Well I don't work for them so AFAIC, it's your loss .

Dec 14, 2011 at 04:02 AM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Received my First AsukaBook!!

So you can ask for help but not help back in return. Happy holidays to you.

Dec 14, 2011 at 05:39 AM
tomrock
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Received my First AsukaBook!!

The reason they don't publish prices is they don't want savvy brides to be able to Google and find out how much their books cost. They want you (the photographer) to set your price to the bride.

I like their policy.

Dec 14, 2011 at 11:02 AM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Received my First AsukaBook!!

I understand their policy as well. And maybe I am not their target market.
I tend to do a book a year. Generally for family. But I will not go the extra time to register to get a ballpark idea of the costs.

Dec 14, 2011 at 12:18 PM
eskimochaos
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Received my First AsukaBook!!

Sunny Sra wrote:
So you can ask for help but not help back in return. Happy holidays to you.

. Your Funny.

It's Merry Christmas, not happy holidays.

Dec 14, 2011 at 02:08 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

WAYCOOL
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Received my First AsukaBook!!

Its Happy Festivous not Christmas and not Holidays

A Festivous for the rest of us!

I've got the aluminum pole all shined up and the pit for the Feats of Strength is waiting.

http://youtu.be/ChmhQz5wsOI

Dec 14, 2011 at 05:38 PM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Received my First AsukaBook!!

I suppose there is always something to complain about.

There are MANY cheap options out there. Not many of them as good as AsukaBooks, but they are available. AsukaBooks do businesses with others who are in business. Soooooo, you can't get their pricing if you're not running a business. This isn't any different than any other direct sales company. Have you EVER purchased a vehicle directly from the factory?

Dec 14, 2011 at 08:03 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Received my First AsukaBook!!

eskimochaos wrote:
. Your Funny.

It's Merry Christmas, not happy holidays.

it's "You're" not "your" and it's not Christmas yet...but the holidays are here. Christmas is on the 24th, mark it on the calendar so you don't confuse yourself.

Thank you for participating

Dec 14, 2011 at 10:55 PM
eskimochaos
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Received my First AsukaBook!!

Actually, Christmas is on the 25th.

Umadbro?

Dec 14, 2011 at 10:57 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Received my First AsukaBook!!

eskimochaos wrote:
Actually, Christmas is on the 25th.

Umadbro?

nopenotmadatall...internet is nothing to getyourmadon.

christmas day is 25th, eve is 24th. you didn't specify. Bazinga!

Dec 14, 2011 at 10:59 PM
elkhornsun
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Received my First AsukaBook!!

The long lead time is why I switched to Zookbinders for my albums and photo books. They turn around an album or book in two weeks with no special charges. Often get an album back in less than 10 days. They also will do a print to bind for a higher end product that is a great value.

WHCC.com also does excellent photo books with much faster turn around times and for a book with a linen cover Sharedink.com is excellent.

Asuka's us representative in the USA also closes down for a couple weeks multiple times during the year and this includes the holidays. They are the slowest and most expensive of any company providing photo books.

Dec 19, 2011 at 11:31 PM
gheller
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Received my First AsukaBook!!

eskimochaos wrote:
I just received my first AsukaBook. I ordered an 80 page 15x10" Lay-Flat book with the faux leather cover. ...

FAUX leather I hope you didn't pay too much for it. It sounds like you did. I just ordered a book from Costco (real leather) with lay flat pages and it is GORGEOUS.

I am familiar with Asuka Books and yes, they are certainly at a level up, but for the money, FAUX leather

And I still don't know why you won't share the price you paid. Help out fellow photographers...

greg

Dec 21, 2011 at 07:17 AM
stebesplace
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Received my First AsukaBook!!

Let the Airing of Grievances begin!

Dec 21, 2011 at 11:53 AM
eskimochaos
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Received my First AsukaBook!!

They only offer the 15x10" book with Faux leather, and I wanted the biggest possible.

GORGEOUS is a relative term, have any pictures of it?

I'm still happy and still not sharing the price, if you wan't to find out, register. Lets just say I'm not and never will be a paid photographer.

Dec 21, 2011 at 12:55 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Received my First AsukaBook!!

gheller wrote:
And I still don't know why you won't share the price you paid. Help out fellow photographers...

You can simply register with them directly to get your price list. The process does require some form of indication of your professional/business photography endeavors. This is simply to assure them that they are dealing with a photographer ... not some non-photographer trying to undercut photographers' retail market.

Business card
Web Site
PPA, etc. Membership

The three items above are on the most obvious items they accept as indication of your professional photographic endeavors. Not all are needed, but they are the most readily accepted forms of verification that you aren't non-photographer trying to undercut a photographer's product offerings (as evidenced by your own photographic capabilities).

I registered ... they had a question about my website being "under construction", I explained my situation to them ... registration complete.

If you have any degree of seriousness vs. simple curiousity/"Looky Lou" ... the registration process is pretty easy.

Even if you don't immediately purchase their product line ... simply being able to offer "Top Tier" products to your clients, suggests you are "Top Tier". Also, comparing their offerings with your "Middle Tier" offerings ... your clients may not "Gulp" as hard at your "Middle Tier" pricing structure any more. Having them in your arsenal can be an asset ... even if you only utilize the "Status Symbol" aspect of it.

Well worth the cost of registration, imo.

Dec 21, 2011 at 01:56 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password