Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Should I send my D7000 in?

castmaster
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Should I send my D7000 in?

Just got a D7000 a few weeks ago and I wasn't quite happy with the sharpness. Turns out all my lenses needed a significant AF adjustment, -15 for the 50, 16-85 and 70-300 and -12 for the 180mm. In my book that's more than acceptable, but I'm debating whether it's worth the trip to the store and 3-6 weeks turn-around time (especially with the Christmas coming)

Dec 13, 2011 at 02:51 PM
saaketham
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Should I send my D7000 in?

If you can use your lenses after AF adjustment, use it for now, and then after the holiday madness, send it in.

Dec 13, 2011 at 02:56 PM
ct8282
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Should I send my D7000 in?

^^^^ this ^^^^

Dec 13, 2011 at 03:14 PM
hongkietan
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Should I send my D7000 in?

I had a frontfocussing problem with my d7k & af-180 mm. Basically I could not focus to infinity, even with MA +20. Adjustment of the d7K by Nikon resulted in spot on focus, on midrange to infinity, with a setting of +15. They warned me that the focus on close range could be off now. I'm very happy with the end result!!! It shows Nikon can tweak even the combination with an "old" lens.
IMHO: If you get consistent sharp pictures with your MA settings, it is probably in spec and not worthwhile to send it in.

HK

Dec 13, 2011 at 03:32 PM
castmaster
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Should I send my D7000 in?

Damn I miss the D200 days... No AF micro-adjustment possible, but somehow all the lenses were spot on through the range... ((( Sorry for polluting the forum with useless posts, I figured I'd send it after holidays anyways as I'd rather get it done and "zero"-ed, than get stuck later with a lens that is out of the adjustment range...

Thanks guys!

Dec 13, 2011 at 03:39 PM
VTHokiEE06
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Should I send my D7000 in?

castmaster wrote:
...I'd rather get it done and "zero"-ed, than get stuck later with a lens that is out of the adjustment range...

I don't believe doing this adjustment would guarantee a future lens from being off, tolerances still could combine destructively... personally, if it works why fix it?

Dec 13, 2011 at 03:54 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

castmaster
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Should I send my D7000 in?

VTHokiEE06 wrote:
I don't believe doing this adjustment would guarantee a future lens from being off, tolerances still could combine destructively... personally, if it works why fix it?

Well, as i've said, all my current lenses are in the (-12 to -15) range. So that means that the camera it-self is off by (roughly) -15 out of -20 possible, which only leaves 5 units of possible adjustment in the "-" range... So if I ever will get a lens that will require more - i'm fu@#ed!!! As such, it seems like a good idea to get the camera body calibrated to zero.

Dec 13, 2011 at 04:07 PM
Jan Brittenson
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Should I send my D7000 in?

Yeah, send it in. Mine is the same way, at -12 to -18, with -13 for manual lenses. After the holidays mine goes in for adjustment.

Dec 15, 2011 at 10:34 PM
Jammy Straub
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Should I send my D7000 in?

I have to opinions. Well... two opinions on your situation...

If you're AF adjust measurement is within the range to make it perfect, don't worry about it.

If you're not happy with the body you just bought, return it. Don't send it in for repair or calibration. There's no good reason for it to be out of your hands for that time for a body that came to you with issues. I tried the whole send it in for repair and my lens didn't make it back to me for 2 months. I'm done with that game.

Dec 15, 2011 at 10:48 PM
Gregstx
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Should I send my D7000 in?

I have done fine tuning adjustment with 11 different lenses on my D7000 and most need a (-) adjustment. However, I do have 3 that need (+) adjustment. A couple of them need +8. If I only had 3 lenses, it is possible that they could all need (-) adjustment. So is the problem with the body or the lenses? BTW, castmaster mentioned not needing AF Fine Tune on the D200. Some of the lenses I can now use on my D7000, always produced slightly soft results on my D200 and I migrated away from using them. One was my 80-200 f2.8D ED.

Dec 16, 2011 at 02:59 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Should I send my D7000 in?

Yes, but now may not be the best time for service as mentioned above.

EBH

Dec 16, 2011 at 03:02 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password