Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · How to PP for the lesser screens

R. Francois
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · How to PP for the lesser screens

Hi,

I view and edit my images on a wide gamut screen and just before i save the work to display in a web browser i convert to srgb. (original file is in argb or prophotorgb). Sometimes i notice a slight shift in colors, especially the reds. I know how it works and why it happens. But what i like to know is how can i get an srgb image that is best optimized for all sort of screens; even the crapier laptops or cheap lcds people have in their homes. I have a few laptops, like a sony vaio with a wide gamut screen. No problems there.
My macbook pro 17" also looks fine although it's just on the edge. When i look at the same image on my macbook air i can see lots of out of gamut areas especially in images with bright reds. By measurement i know that the gamut of the macbook air falls short to display the complete srg-colorspace.
Now my real question: How should i convert my images so that the out of gamut areas are less noticeable? Should i just reduce the saturation in the problem areas? is there any possibility to soft proof for less than srgb? Or am i doing something wrong?

TIA,

Raymond

Dec 12, 2011 at 07:38 AM
Peter Figen
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · How to PP for the lesser screens

You just need to convert to sRGB and not spend too much time worrying about what you can't control. You might think long and hard about why you're using ProPhoto RGB in the first place, if in fact, it's causing you some conversion problems. If you've got a particular area that's losing detail going to sRGB from ProPhoto, you might desaturate that area a little first. That will help as the conversion is always Relative Colorimetric if you're using v2 profiles, no matter what you choose in the pulldown menu for rendering intent. Just make sure you embed the sRGB profile so that those using color managed browsers can have that benefit.

Dec 12, 2011 at 08:17 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password