Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · How to trigger one set of strobes with two cameras?

G-Gore
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How to trigger one set of strobes with two cameras?

I wanted to ask if any of you ever try to trigger one set of strobes from two cameras. Ie. at the wedding reception both main and secondary shooter remotely trigger one set of strobes. Can I use my Flex TT-5 to do it (4 units, one on each camera, and two for the strobes - all set to one channel)?

Dec 12, 2011 at 12:04 AM
redal
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How to trigger one set of strobes with two cameras?

I don't see why not, you might find recycle issues, if both photographers are trying to capture the same moment, and if you are using ambient light with slow shutter speed, you could be two trigger flashes in an exposure ( unlikely but could happen)

Dec 12, 2011 at 12:21 AM
alohadave
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How to trigger one set of strobes with two cameras?

G-Gore wrote:
I wanted to ask if any of you ever try to trigger one set of strobes from two cameras. Ie. at the wedding reception both main and secondary shooter remotely trigger one set of strobes. Can I use my Flex TT-5 to do it (4 units, one on each camera, and two for the strobes - all set to one channel)?

As long as they are on the same channel, any number of cameras can trigger one set of strobes.

Dec 12, 2011 at 12:56 AM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · How to trigger one set of strobes with two cameras?

I do this sometimes with my CyberSync triggers. Yes, I've actually done this on a number of occassions. I used Nikons D80 and D300, and also Nikon D300 and a chamonix 4x5. Here's how you do it. Hook a transmitter up to the hotshoe or PC port of the first camera, set the transmitter to Channel 1. Attach a receiver to the remote input of the second camera, receiver set to Channel 1. Place a second transmitter in the hotshoe of camera 2, set to Channel 2. Place receivers on your monolights, receivers set to channel 2. Now for the tricky part. Set sync on first camera to no faster than 1/60s. Set sync on second camera to any speed you want.

There is a lag between the second camera receiving the signal and processing it. That's why you must have two transmitters--so you can avoid tripping the flash and second camera at the same time. Obviously you can use any two channels you want, but they MUST be different ones.

Kent in SD

Dec 12, 2011 at 07:21 PM
RoadconePhoto
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · How to trigger one set of strobes with two cameras?

we've had 3 cameras trigger one set of strobes with cybersyncs... just set everything to the same channel.

Dec 13, 2011 at 09:54 AM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · How to trigger one set of strobes with two cameras?

Yes but, but it's not a scenario that will allow much control over light placement on the faces by each photographer and may result in critical moments not being well lit because the other shooter had triggered the flash an it hasn't recycled fully yet.

How do you plan to place the lights? Will the shooters also have flash on their cameras (i.e. on a bracket) with the remotely triggered shared lights used for rim light accents / raising room ambience?

I shot weddings with dual strobe and have used the technique for many years non-professionally. Having one flash on a camera bracket for fill and a second off camera on a rolling stand for each shooter, each pair on separate channels, would afford more control of the lighting. In situations like toasts and cake cutting I would precisely place the OCF for dramatic "short" lit shots. In other situations like tossing the garter, dance floor, etc. the OFC would get parked out of the way behind the action as rim-lighting. To get more background ambience in tungsten lit rooms without color casts in the background gel the flash with 1/2 CTO and set Custom WB off a gray card using the gelled flash so everything in the flash lit foreground has normal color balance.

Dec 13, 2011 at 10:46 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.