Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2011 · Is there a good printer for under $700?

jerrykur
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Is there a good printer for under $700?

Hi,

My HP 9180 is starting to have issues and HP is no longer providing reasonable support for the unit. Is there a similar unit for under $700?

The key factors to me are:
[list type=]
  • Works with Windows 7 and OSX.
  • Supports up to 13 X19, A3+
  • Does not have issues (jammed heads, high ink consumption, etc) when not used for a couple of months.
  • Easily switches between color and black and white prints
  • Reasonable costs for consumables.

Thanks,

Jerry

• Dec 12, 2011 at 12:28 AM
    mikek200
    • •
    Upload & Sell: Off
    p.1 #2 · Is there a good printer for under $700?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/750952-REG/Epson_C11CA86201_Stylus_Photo_R3000_Inkjet.html

Please Note..$200.00 rebate,and yes,you do get it... took me about 6 weeks.
    This the best printer ,I've ever owned,wi-fi,and new nozzle design

Mke

Dec 12, 2011 at 01:19 AM
    RobertLynn
    • • • • • •
    p.1 #3 · Is there a good printer for under $700?

Pixma9000.

Gives me results taht kick the shit out of any local print lab, even a "special" lab that's also a photography store.

If you're doing mroe BW, the 9500.

You can get it for like (the 9000) 200 bucks after the rebate.

I printed like 35 8x10s, and 100 4x6's, and then just changed the CLI 8C, CLI 8PM, and CLI 8Y.

Still have half a black, and damn near full red and green.

Dec 12, 2011 at 03:03 AM
    skibum5
    • • • • • •
    p.1 #4 · Is there a good printer for under $700?

Epson R3000 if the rebates are still live.
    Hits everything but reasonable cost for consumables, but then none of them do for paper and only some of the giant, highest end ones do for ink.

Dec 12, 2011 at 05:15 AM
    carnac
    • •
    p.1 #5 · Is there a good printer for under $700?

I'm very pleased with the Epson R3000. Got my rebate in a reasonable amount of time (around 6 weeks I think).

Nice wi/fi, prints to CD, 13x19, excellent B&W (one of the best I've seen), nice paper feed options for art paper, reasonable size ink cartridges, no nozzle clogging problems (and I sometimes go for a week without a print AND I live in Las Vegas with VERY low humidity), pretty quiet.

Overall a very nice printer.

Jim

Dec 12, 2011 at 05:41 AM
    Hammy
    • • • •
    p.1 #6 · Is there a good printer for under $700?

+1 for the Canon Pixma series. I switched to Epson for a short period of time, too much hassle for color profiles and 2-3 times slower than Canon.

Back to Canon with 2x iP9000Mk2 printers as well as 4x iP4700s and 2x MP5920s - all fast, all color acurate.

Dec 12, 2011 at 03:36 PM
    skibum5
    • • • • • •
    p.1 #7 · Is there a good printer for under $700?

Hammy wrote:
    +1 for the Canon Pixma series. I switched to Epson for a short period of time, too much hassle for color profiles and 2-3 times slower than Canon.

Back to Canon with 2x iP9000Mk2 printers as well as 4x iP4700s and 2x MP5920s - all fast, all color acurate.

what do you mean by hassle for color profiles for epson?

Dec 12, 2011 at 05:22 PM
    Hammy
    • • • •
    p.1 #8 · Is there a good printer for under $700?

I spent more time (and ink and paper) trying to find the right color profiles to match my prints as to what I have on my monitor.

I'll admit, I'm completely ignorant when it comes to color profiling and such, tried a spyder once, but even though it said my monitor was 'correct', the prints didn't match.

With Canon, I don't think I've even loaded up the driver disk. Windows installed the default driver for it, and my prints come out looking exactly like my monitor... and did I mention that they come out alot faster too?

Dec 12, 2011 at 05:33 PM
    Methodical
    • • •
    p.1 #9 · Is there a good printer for under $700?

Epson R1900

Dec 13, 2011 at 07:36 PM
    mikek200
    • •
    p.1 #10 · Is there a good printer for under $700?

Hammy,
    Are you saying that you never calibrated your monitor??,and your getting a perfect match,monitor to print
    Boy, that's got to be a first.

Dec 13, 2011 at 11:42 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

anthonygh
    • • •
    p.1 #11 · Is there a good printer for under $700?

The beauty of the Canon 9000 is that it is easy to reuse the carts when empty...and there is some good quality bulk ink available to fill them. I use OCP ink with Ilford Pearl...lovely results. Ink costs about 10% of Canon ink.

My R2880 is much better with B+W however...although the 9000 isn't bad. Just not as good.

Dec 14, 2011 at 02:49 AM
    RobertLynn
    • • • • • •
    p.1 #12 · Is there a good printer for under $700?

anthonygh wrote:
    The beauty of the Canon 9000 is that it is easy to reuse the carts when empty...and there is some good quality bulk ink available to fill them. I use OCP ink with Ilford Pearl...lovely results. Ink costs about 10% of Canon ink.

My R2880 is much better with B+W however...although the 9000 isn't bad. Just not as good.

Going to have to try those OCP inks, if they are 10% of the cost of the Canon...that would mean I could reink for 10$ instead of 100$

Dec 14, 2011 at 03:20 AM
    anthonygh
    • • •
    p.1 #13 · Is there a good printer for under $700?

RobertLynn wrote:
    Going to have to try those OCP inks, if they are 10% of the cost of the Canon...that would mean I could reink for 10$ instead of 100$

That is what we pay here in GB. The inks cost about 4 per 100 ml bottle; but another big saving comes by reducing ink flushing cycles. I reset the chips when inserting a newly refilled cart, so the printer accepts it as new.

However, any time that any cart shows empty, I refill and reset them all, so the printer accepts them as a completely new set. This saves on the constant changing of carts as one after the other empties...and really saves on ink being flushed away.

Dec 14, 2011 at 02:06 PM
    Hammy
    • • • •
    p.1 #14 · Is there a good printer for under $700?

mikek200 wrote:
    Hammy,
    Are you saying that you never calibrated your monitor??,and your getting a perfect match,monitor to print
    Boy, that's got to be a first.

I have two 42" LCD monitors on my desktop that a super color accurate out of the box. Never been calibrated and yes, prints match with standard drivers for monitor and printer (with Canon that is, not so fun/easy with Epson)

Dec 14, 2011 at 02:08 PM
    hondageek
    • • •
    p.1 #15 · Is there a good printer for under $700?

I have to agree w/ Hammy. The Canon 9000 is the most reliable, low maintenance printer I've owned. Fast, great colors, cheap to operate, cheap to acquire, you can get ink virtually anywhere, etc. I scored mine on Craigsl*st for under $100 ea. The buy/sell boards are littered with them for under $200 as they came with a Canon rebate deal. Lots of people bought them, cut off the UPC, then sold them brand new. I travel with 2 of them and leave them cooking in an enclosed trailer for days (sometimes weeks) and they never miss a beat. My Epsons would never withstand that. Buy a 9000, you won't regret it.

Dec 14, 2011 at 02:56 PM
    skibum5
    • • • • • •
    p.1 #16 · Is there a good printer for under $700?

Hammy wrote:
    I spent more time (and ink and paper) trying to find the right color profiles to match my prints as to what I have on my monitor.

I'll admit, I'm completely ignorant when it comes to color profiling and such, tried a spyder once, but even though it said my monitor was 'correct', the prints didn't match.

With Canon, I don't think I've even loaded up the driver disk. Windows installed the default driver for it, and my prints come out looking exactly like my monitor... and did I mention that they come out alot faster too?

All I can say is my results have been looking pretty good using the stock Epson profiles for Epson paper or the Hahnemuhle profiles for their paper (for the R3000).

Dec 14, 2011 at 07:39 PM
    Tim Brooks
    • •
    p.1 #17 · Is there a good printer for under $700?

Other than print size, has anyone noticed a difference between prints from an ip4500 and an ip9000 MkII ?
    thanks.

Dec 14, 2011 at 11:11 PM
    Hammy
    • • • •
    p.1 #18 · Is there a good printer for under $700?

Tim,

I have the iP4700's and 9000's, CMYK vs C-PC-M-PM-R-G-Y-K, 4 vs 8 colors and I can't honestly tell a difference. I've yet to print out on both printers the same photo and examine under a loupe, as I have the smaller printers for the rare onsite printing that I do and the 9000s stay in my office, but I think I'd have a very hard time trying to realize a difference.

Dec 14, 2011 at 11:38 PM
    Tim Brooks
    • •
    p.1 #19 · Is there a good printer for under $700?

Thanks Hammy.

Dec 14, 2011 at 11:42 PM
    dmacmillan
    • • • •
    p.1 #20 · Is there a good printer for under $700?

I just went through the process of trying to decide on a printer. I got to see some sample prints, especially some B&W prints made with a Canon Pixma Pro 9500 II.

There's one on the UPS truck out for delivery to me. Right now there's a $300 rebate, making it $399 with free shipping from B&H.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=canon+pixma+pro+9500&N=0&InitialSearch=yes

Obviously, I can't speak from experience, but my criteria is the same as yours.

Dec 15, 2011 at 01:29 PM
           2       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password