Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · LR3 auto converting monochrome images to color?

no_surrender
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · LR3 auto converting monochrome images to color?

Why does LR3 automatically open monochrome images in color? How can I turn this off?

Also, when opening an image in LR3, why does the image always look different than the preview once it opens?

Thanks-Kevin

Dec 11, 2011 at 09:44 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · LR3 auto converting monochrome images to color?

no_surrender wrote:
Why does LR3 automatically open monochrome images in color? How can I turn this off?

Also, when opening an image in LR3, why does the image always look different than the preview once it opens?

Thanks-Kevin

Because RAW is RAW, it's whatever the sensor collected and that includes the R,G, B signals.
There is no monochrome RAW. It's better since instead of being stuck with a given monochrome conversion you are able to try different types of color to monochrome conversion later.

So there is no way to turn it off, since all RAW files are color.

Dec 11, 2011 at 10:03 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · LR3 auto converting monochrome images to color?

As mentioned above raw is raw. The in camera view (and the very first view you see in LR is the embedded jpeg )

The advantage to having all the colour info is you have so much more to play with. You can convert to b&w and mimic the effects of all the colour filters (and a whole lot more) that you would have used with b&w film.

Dec 11, 2011 at 10:08 PM
no_surrender
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · LR3 auto converting monochrome images to color?

Thank you for the clarification. That makes sense, it's just a little annoying.

Dec 11, 2011 at 10:08 PM
TrojanHorse
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · LR3 auto converting monochrome images to color?

Read this:

http://www.lightroomforums.net/showthread.php?1285-Why-did-Lightroom-ruin-my-photo

Dec 12, 2011 at 05:44 PM
no_surrender
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · LR3 auto converting monochrome images to color?

TrojanHorse wrote:
Read this:

http://www.lightroomforums.net/showthread.php?1285-Why-did-Lightroom-ruin-my-photo

Interesting, thanks for sharing. I've still got a long way to go in learning LR and the camera system in general so it doesn't put me too far behind the learning curve since I don't already have one to begin with. It was just something that bothered me, but nothing I can't overcome as I learn.

Kevin

Dec 12, 2011 at 06:04 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

GC5
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · LR3 auto converting monochrome images to color?

If you want to preserve your B&W image shoot jpg or jpg + raw.

Dec 12, 2011 at 08:34 PM
no_surrender
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · LR3 auto converting monochrome images to color?

GC5 wrote:
If you want to preserve your B&W image shoot jpg or jpg + raw.

Why?

Dec 12, 2011 at 08:35 PM
GC5
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · LR3 auto converting monochrome images to color?

Jpg will give you what you see in your camera preview because the camera has already supplied some processing.

If you want to convert back to color from a B&W jpeg, well, you're out of luck. It does not record as much data as the raw.

Dec 12, 2011 at 08:47 PM
no_surrender
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · LR3 auto converting monochrome images to color?

I think I'll stick with just RAW. I haven't graduated to the Terabyte era yet and storage is getting a little full. jpeg + RAW just seems to take up too much space on my flash cards and my pc hard drive. Besides, I haven't been editing anything in jpeg for a while anyway. I'll just have to get used to switching to B&W in LR after the image loads.

Dec 12, 2011 at 08:58 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · LR3 auto converting monochrome images to color?

Not that I shot b&w very often , when I have made b&w images it's normally been after in pp using a raw file.
But if I went out to shoot b&w I would set my camera up raw+jpeg . That way in lr3 I can have a starter b&w image and work the raw to a point I like with a comparison shot to work off.

As the op is a canon shooter( according to the profile) then if you use the supplied canon software it will load the raw file up with the camera presets which will be b&w but you will still have all the colour info in the file (unlike a jpeg)

At the end of the day just think of it like this. A desaturated colour image gives loads more options in post over a file with all the colour infor thrown away.

Dec 12, 2011 at 10:35 PM
jchin
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · LR3 auto converting monochrome images to color?

shoot raw and convert to b&w using dpp

Dec 15, 2011 at 04:22 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password