Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Anyone using qimage?

jzucker
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Anyone using qimage?

Surprised to see no threads about it. Is there something better out there now?

Dec 11, 2011 at 01:14 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Anyone using qimage?

probably a lot more activity if you go to the forum section @ ddisoftware.

Dec 11, 2011 at 01:45 PM
danmc
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Anyone using qimage?

haven't used it for about a year, and then was only to simplify laying small prints onto larger paper. I use Lightroom for all that it did. The interface was painful to use.

Dec 11, 2011 at 05:55 PM
kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Anyone using qimage?

Qimage is hard to beat as a printer utility, imho, particularly for those using a PC.

I've been using Qimage for years and won't print without it. To me, one of the most valuable tools that Qimage provides is to keep track of all the different icc profiles and print settings for the various types of media that I use.

ken

Dec 11, 2011 at 06:08 PM
allebaug

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Anyone using qimage?

I've used Qimage for all of my layouts and printing since 2003, currently using the Studio version. The interface did take some time to master but the product has worked flawlessly for me. The Studio version supports Raw file processing from many cameras directly, but I've never used that feature, preferring to do that externally to saved 16-bit TIFF files. For repeat jobs saved Layouts are my most used feature. Download a copy and work with it for a while.

I also looked at Colorbyte's Image Print RIP a few times over the years, but between the expense, my relatively low volume, as well as the quality I get with Qimage and my Epson printers and the great matte and gloss papers available today, I found no reason to move. They have a trial version too, if you want to test the field.

Dec 11, 2011 at 08:27 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Anyone using qimage?

Thanks for the advice. I own qimage pro but thought i'd check with you guys before ordering "ultimate".

Dec 11, 2011 at 09:56 PM
mikek200
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Anyone using qimage?

I upgraded from the studio version to ultimate.

IMHO,its the best printing program out there,if you have a windows computer.
The tech support is also fantastic,and they have videos to learn almost everything you need to know

Mike

Dec 12, 2011 at 03:09 AM
Rusty1
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Anyone using qimage?

I've relied on it for eight years. Interface continues to improve and the out put has always been excellent.

Dec 18, 2011 at 06:02 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

William Wilson
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Anyone using qimage?

It's a pity they don't offer a Mac version since moving to the Mac I miss the app.

Dec 18, 2011 at 01:00 PM
kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Anyone using qimage?

William Wilson wrote:
It's a pity they don't offer a Mac version since moving to the Mac I miss the app.

According to their site, you can use Fusion or Parallels on Mac. No experience with that since I'm on a PC Workstation. See, http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage-u/downloads.htm

I've used the Qimage Studio version for years---rock solid output/workflow. I'm still on the fence as to whether my studio would really benefit going to Ultimate...

ken

Dec 18, 2011 at 02:27 PM
William Wilson
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Anyone using qimage?

Yes Ken I was aware of this but it adds a layer of complexity in my workflow I don't care for, I use a rip that works well.

Dec 18, 2011 at 03:27 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Anyone using qimage?

how is their raw conversion compared to lightroom? (I did buy ultimate a few days ago but have only used it for printing).

Dec 18, 2011 at 05:03 PM
kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Anyone using qimage?

William Wilson wrote:
Yes Ken I was aware of this but it adds a layer of complexity in my workflow I don't care for, I use a rip that works well.

Hi William,

Totally understand not wanting to mess up your workflow. That's the same reason why I'm sitting on the fence on the move from Qimage Studio to Ultimate.

For anyone that has made the migration to Ultimate---- is there a quantifiable difference? Worthwhile upgrade?

ken

Dec 18, 2011 at 06:58 PM
Ruahrc
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Anyone using qimage?

Out of curiosity's sake, can someone explain why Qimage is so good? I am having difficulty understanding how one print program can be "better" than another, if they are all using the same .icc profiles (assuming, of course, that they are all using them correctly).

Is it the interface? Options? Does it do some proprietary "magic" to the pictures that might make them look different/better than other programs?

I have used Qimage in the past but it was several years ago and in a scientific capacity, not an artistic one. It was probably an older version too but it didn't seem especially good or unique to me at the time (again though I wasn't printing, but using it for a different purpose).

Norman

Dec 18, 2011 at 09:14 PM
kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Anyone using qimage?

Hi Norman,

Qimage is a "printer utility" program----and for me, that's all it does is help me to print efficiently, tiling prints across media, keeps icc profiles and printer profiles in order and easily accessed.

Qimage keeps track of all my printer settings for the various media that I use and the corresponding icc profiles. That alone is worth the nominal price of admission. Pre-Qimage, I can't tell you how many times I mistakenly printed with the wrong settings when changing to different media. Waste of media. Waste of ink. An Epson conspiracy I tell you.... Qimage stopped that nonsense.

Qimage allows me to tile prints across the media, various sizes, all efficiently. I can set crop marks, file names in the corner, etc. I don't really depend on the interpolation portions of the program as I've generally always had ample resolution to work with.

Need to print long? Qimage gets rid of driver print length limitations. I've made prints in excess of twenty feet no problem. Remember the old CS issue (can't recall the version CS2?) and it messed up center printing on the media? Qimage solved that situation for me.

I'm running both a 9800 and a 4800. Qimage keeps both track of both printers for me. I don't use or need a RAW converter from Qimage---C1 Pro 6 handles that.
I'm very happy with Qimage Studio, but still sitting on the fence with regard to Qimage Ultimate.....

Ultimate claims to have a better "color management engine"---but I'm not convinced it would be any better than the Studio version with regard to output.

Dec 19, 2011 at 02:57 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password