Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · 24-70 clicks/rubs slightly when zooming 24-28mm

ultimaterowdy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · 24-70 clicks/rubs slightly when zooming 24-28mm

hey all,
just received a 24-70L in the mail, refurb from Canon. one thing I'm noticing is a slight click in the zoom as it passes 28mm. and when it doesn't click, there's a bit of a sense of rubbing of some internal mechanism.

could just be a lot of glass moving about, and this is all "normal" behavior? thought I would ping the community of owners of this lens & find out...

thanks for any of your experiences!!

best,
rowdy

Dec 10, 2011 at 07:51 AM
costacho

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · 24-70 clicks/rubs slightly when zooming 24-28mm

No

Dec 10, 2011 at 09:25 AM
dirb9
• • •
p.1 #3 · 24-70 clicks/rubs slightly when zooming 24-28mm

It should feel even throughout the entire range, there shouldn't be any stiff spots or clicks.

Dec 10, 2011 at 01:18 PM
timbop
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · 24-70 clicks/rubs slightly when zooming 24-28mm

When I first got mine 3 to 4 years ago I had a similar stiffness at 24-28. It no longer does it now..

Dec 10, 2011 at 03:58 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

kewlcanon
• • • •
p.1 #5 · 24-70 clicks/rubs slightly when zooming 24-28mm

Not normal, I had one like this before, sent it to Canon.

ultimaterowdy wrote:
hey all,
just received a 24-70L in the mail, refurb from Canon. one thing I'm noticing is a slight click in the zoom as it passes 28mm. and when it doesn't click, there's a bit of a sense of rubbing of some internal mechanism.

could just be a lot of glass moving about, and this is all "normal" behavior? thought I would ping the community of owners of this lens & find out...

thanks for any of your experiences!!

best,
rowdy

Dec 11, 2011 at 12:50 PM
RCicala
• • • •
p.1 #6 · 24-70 clicks/rubs slightly when zooming 24-28mm

Not normal. Sometimes it is nothing more than a slight roughness in one of the helicoid collars and goes away with use like Timbop's did. It can also be a missing or damaged collar and get worse with time. If you've worked it back and forth a few dozen times and it's not better I'd exchange it.

Dec 11, 2011 at 02:44 PM
WiLLGT09
• •
p.1 #7 · 24-70 clicks/rubs slightly when zooming 24-28mm

Although, not the newest thread, I thought I would share my experience with this. I got a 24-70 about 1 week ago, and noticed a slight "click" right as I zoomed past the 35mm mark. Now, I thought that since the lens was brand new that it would work itself out eventually. Well it hasn't. I talked to B&H's photo department today, and the guy's first words were "you should probably return it." So, it's going back to B&H, and I've ordered a replacement copy. Fingers crossed.

@ultimaterowdy - what did you end up doing about your 24-70?

Dec 18, 2011 at 09:46 PM
ultimaterowdy
• • •
p.1 #8 · 24-70 clicks/rubs slightly when zooming 24-28mm

the click went away with a week's use. at least for the moment, I'll sit on it... I think warranty is 90 days on the refurbished, so I should pay close attention to that date...

thanks all for the help. esp to RCicala for that cool picture of the internals!

Dec 18, 2011 at 10:35 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password