Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · I need your opinions please!

Scott Kroeker
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · I need your opinions please!

Without getting into details I will be donating a quality art print for a high profile fund-raising event early next year. I am trying to decide which photo to submit. I need the wow factor as well as integrity and recognition that it is MY work. So something that fits my "brand" so to speak for those familiar with my work.

Here is a page of the 12 photos I've narrowed it down to and would love to hear all of your thoughts! I do have one I am leaning towards but am torn between these. So please look over and tell me your thoughts about the photo that grabs/speaks to you the most.

http://www.scottkroeker.com/wp/pick-the-best/

Thank you so much for your input!

Dec 10, 2011 at 03:51 AM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · I need your opinions please!

Scott,
Hard to be "sure" with the small images, but looks like you have some spectacular work to offer. Subject, saturation/color-wise I think the last image will have the broadest appeal It is other-worldly, has beautiful color and sky and water scenes have wide-spread appeal. 1,3,6,8 are among my top personal picks. I'd like to view some closer up. I suspect 3 and 8 by subject and what might be a subtle HDR (looking just at this post) will appeal to some who will love them, and not to others, with the subject, not the processing, being the "decisive" element.
Good luck. Truly fine work here.
Scott

Dec 10, 2011 at 10:50 AM
Scott Kroeker
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · I need your opinions please!

Thank you so much Scott. If you click the link provided you can get larger views. Just to clarify 3 and 8 are not HDR ....I think 1 and 5 were HDR but the rest are single exposures.

Dec 10, 2011 at 12:41 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · I need your opinions please!

Scott,

5 to me has the most fine art "WOW" look to it.

4 has a look as though the tree is expelling it's breath, breathing a sense "humanness" to it that speaks to the perspective of its creation

1, 3, 8, & 12 seem to me the most congruous with "YOU" (as represented by this set)

7 got my vote ... imo it has a blend of the WOW & YOU that you mentioned (albeit maybe in a bit sublime way) and some differentiation/non-cliche'/uniqueness to it. I really dig #5, but I would say it screams more "EXCELLENT" than presents a signature "YOU".

8 seems to be the most "iconic" of yours, but is starting to get a "cliche" vibe (3 also) to it depending on your audience/exposure. 12 has a bit more 'fresh' look to it.

Very good stuff, I can see your difficulty in choosing.

HTH & GL

Dec 10, 2011 at 01:41 PM
buntaro

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · I need your opinions please!

Some idea of what the fund raiser is for may help in choosing one of the photos. Are any of them thematically relevant to the fund raiser's mission?

NIce pics!

Dec 10, 2011 at 02:58 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · I need your opinions please!

Oh, forgot to indicate in my post which one I would choose, although I did do the poll.
I'd go with the last.
Scott

Dec 10, 2011 at 05:22 PM
Dono T

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · I need your opinions please!

Given you are in Manitoba I am going to assume this event is somewhere in the prairies. Since it is a fundraiser the picture selected should be the one that provides the most skrilla for the organization. So I think you should go one of two ways; 1, try to appeal to the people who find the organic beauty of living in the prairies (for that reason I choose #3) or 2, cater to the people who spend money on viewing things you just simply rarely see in the prairies.....like waterfalls (for that reason I would pick #10). I feel like you better capture the organic beauty of living in the praries and for that reason I choose #3 FTW!!!!!!!!!

Dec 10, 2011 at 06:24 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · I need your opinions please!

For color beauty, I'd pick number 6. However although the general public prefers color, B & W has has more gravitas as fine art. The addition of the crystal sphere lifts number 9 above the ordinary and got my vote. Of course, having my approval may be the kiss of popularity death.

Dec 10, 2011 at 08:35 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · I need your opinions please!

AuntiPode wrote:
Of course, having my approval may be the kiss of popularity death.

I was thinking the same of my pick @ #7

Dec 10, 2011 at 10:56 PM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · I need your opinions please!

I hate these polls when someone puts up 12 stunning photos then asks me to pick just one. Thanks Scott. Fine. I pick #12, but only because you forced me to. Your work is what I strive for.

Greg

Dec 10, 2011 at 11:13 PM
Scott Kroeker
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · I need your opinions please!

Thank you so much for taking the time to vote and give your input and feedback! Most welcome!!!

buntaro wrote:
Some idea of what the fund raiser is for may help in choosing one of the photos. Are any of them thematically relevant to the fund raiser's mission?

NIce pics!

Thank you.

This is a pretty high profile event. This is the first year they will be including photography and I was one of few selected to participate. Usually is it just paintings, sculptures, jewelery etc. There will be 400 of the city's elite attending and a great opportunity to meet and greet people. Hopefully get my work out there a little more. So the piece has to have both a wow factor and hold the interest of an educated mind. A lot of these people know their fine art. That is why I am having a tough time. Either way, I will need t make my decided by the end of the weekend. I will let everyone know at that time!

Again, thank you all for the input!

Dec 11, 2011 at 06:19 AM
penpro
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · I need your opinions please!

I went with 2 as it isnt something that I see every day. Great shots Scott.

Dec 11, 2011 at 02:01 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · I need your opinions please!

To me, #5 stands out from the others as "fine art" and something to study. Tonal values, lines, scale, composition, subject inter-relationship, pattern, etc. While they are all excellent ... many of the others have a "cool" factor that might suggest computer theatrics moreover than "fine art" for some audiences (not us of course) even though that isn't the case.

The only downside to #5 is your desire for it to be signature "YOU" ... but as an attention getter/introduction to "YOU" for THAT audience, it might be a play to consider. To me, #5 has the most "classic" vibe going ... whereas many of your others have a much more "contemporary" vibe. Still all excellent, but I really dig the excellence of #5 ... many of the others are initially more "compelling", "intriguing" and "curious", but as a "fine art" study #5 holds me longer/stronger than the others.

Here's how I see #5

+1 @ WOW / Excellent
+1 @ Fine Art
+1 @ Educated Mind
- 0.5 @ Signature You

#9 shares some of the strong "fine art" elements (tonal values, etc.) but has a more contemporary vibe due to the inclusion of the crystal ... but the crystal says "computer", imo.

#8 that I mentioned before as being what I consider "iconic" YOU ... has that "cool" factor to it like so many of your images ... but it doesn't suggest "computer" as strongly as some do. It has a pretty good blend of that WOW & YOU & elements to study.

#12 ... defintely an attention grabber, but I leave it sooner than the likes of the others. It seems to be a quicker study for me than the others, but certainly leaves many audiences wondering how you achieved it.

They are all excellent and far superior to my efforts. With a little more info given @ audience, #5, #8 & #12 ... for very different reasons ... are about as far as I can cull it down.

Classic/Timeless ... #5
Contemporary/Outside The Box ... #12
You/Old & Abandoned ... #8

My .02
HTH & GL

Dec 11, 2011 at 02:37 PM
Scott Kroeker
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · I need your opinions please!

Thank you Paul!

Thank you again Kent for the detailed reply!

I will admit, #5 was the one I was leaning towards and will most likely be my choice. Over all the feedback I've received here and elsewhere, #5 is the most picked piece. Nature macros/details are a fav subject of mine and for that last few winters I always head out to a certain spot to shoot these ice edges so I think it will still be a great choice. Maybe not 100% brand but still a part of what I like to shoot. Also, I agree, I believe it has the most "fine art" appeal of the selection. Other then being neat to look at it is a perfect representation of the changing of seasons from Fall to Winter and how mother nature is constantly changing.

Dec 11, 2011 at 05:40 PM
woodrim

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · I need your opinions please!

The lighting, color, and vastness of the sky just do it for me with #7.

Dec 12, 2011 at 01:31 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password