Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · 7D Time-lapse: Transit of Panama Canal

Jeff
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · 7D Time-lapse: Transit of Panama Canal

Although I don't have a single picture from the MV Explorer's transit of the Panama Canal on 12/7/11, I've got something even better: 2,315 images strung into a time-lapse of nearly five hours of the eight hour process. I used a tripod-mounted Canon 7D and EF-S 10-22 lens, and shot at 10-second intervals. If you're interested in seeing it, check out the blog:

http://jeffwarnerphoto.blogspot.com/2011/12/12711-transit-of-panama-canal.html

Enjoy the images!

-Jeff

Dec 10, 2011 at 02:27 AM
stanj
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · 7D Time-lapse: Transit of Panama Canal

Nice! Looks like an awesome journey.

Dec 10, 2011 at 02:53 AM
Sarsfield
• • •
p.1 #3 · 7D Time-lapse: Transit of Panama Canal

Jeff, very cool. Any reason why you didn't encode at 720P or 1080P? Just wondering how it would look in high def.

Dec 10, 2011 at 03:09 AM
Jeff
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · 7D Time-lapse: Transit of Panama Canal

It's been an amazing journey.

The internet connection on the ship leaves a lot to be desired, and 25MB was a stretch to upload (took more than an hour). This was shot in medium raw, and reduced to 1920x1080 in Lightroom, then compiled via iMovie (wow, what a POS program these days!) over the course of 13 hours on a MBP.

Dec 10, 2011 at 04:19 AM
duffguy808
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · 7D Time-lapse: Transit of Panama Canal

Jeff wrote:
Although I don't have a single picture from the MV Explorer's transit of the Panama Canal on 12/7/11, I've got something even better: 2,315 images strung into a time-lapse of nearly five hours of the eight hour process. I used a tripod-mounted Canon 7D and EF-S 10-22 lens, and shot at 10-second intervals. If you're interested in seeing it, check out the blog:

http://jeffwarnerphoto.blogspot.com/2011/12/12711-transit-of-panama-canal.html

Enjoy the images!

-Jeff

You sir are awesome!

Can I asked you what software did you use to do this? I've taken a bunch of pictures in 5 second interval and would love to turn them into time-lapse video like you.

Thanks in advance

Dec 10, 2011 at 04:28 AM
satoru
• •
p.1 #6 · 7D Time-lapse: Transit of Panama Canal

Awesome work!!!

Thanks for sharing

Dec 10, 2011 at 06:58 AM
Mubeen
• •
p.1 #7 · 7D Time-lapse: Transit of Panama Canal

Awesome shoot

Dec 10, 2011 at 07:19 AM
Jeff
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · 7D Time-lapse: Transit of Panama Canal

Glad you all enjoyed!

duffguy808 wrote:
You sir are awesome!

Can I asked you what software did you use to do this? I've taken a bunch of pictures in 5 second interval and would love to turn them into time-lapse video like you.

Thanks in advance

Duff, it looks like you may have posted right after I did, but I used Lightroom to output to 1080 format, then struggled with iMovie to get it put together. That new version of iMovie is one of the least user-friendly pieces of software I've used; I just don't understand why Apple has done this to their video market. The previous versions I could just 'use', this one I had to 'figure out'.

Anyway, I was happy with the first attempt at this, but it certainly is a bit of work. The HD Hero camera probably would have made the process much easier.

Best,

Jeff

Dec 10, 2011 at 10:16 PM
Richie S
• • •
p.1 #9 · 7D Time-lapse: Transit of Panama Canal

Loved this. Very well done.

Dec 11, 2011 at 12:58 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

_Rob_S_
• • •
p.1 #10 · 7D Time-lapse: Transit of Panama Canal

Wow, crazy fantastic Jeff! Amazing on so many levels. Thanks for creating and posting.

Rob

Dec 11, 2011 at 01:15 AM
C Parish
• •
p.1 #11 · 7D Time-lapse: Transit of Panama Canal

Nicely done!

Wich I could have made it full screen, but maybe next time!

Cheers

Dec 11, 2011 at 01:15 AM
Bob Sumitro
• •
p.1 #12 · 7D Time-lapse: Transit of Panama Canal

That's awesome Jeff, I really enjoy watching it.
Bob

Dec 11, 2011 at 02:23 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · 7D Time-lapse: Transit of Panama Canal

Fantastic work Jeff. Never really seen much of the Panama canal so highly entertaining.

Dec 11, 2011 at 11:30 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · 7D Time-lapse: Transit of Panama Canal

Amazing! Thanks so much!

Dec 12, 2011 at 12:35 AM
Bones74
• • •
p.1 #15 · 7D Time-lapse: Transit of Panama Canal

Great work Jeff! Just so you know and not trying to be a smart ass or podantic, but you have labelled the video : Transit of the Panama Canal December 17, 2011.

Dec 12, 2011 at 02:55 PM
kakomu
• • • •
p.1 #16 · 7D Time-lapse: Transit of Panama Canal

My recommendation would be to increase the frame rate. Currently the movie is running at 8 fps (Actually 24fps, but with each frame is repeated twice). The video looks very choppy and I think it would benefit from an increase in temporal resolution.

Dec 12, 2011 at 03:19 PM
janmcn
• •
p.1 #17 · 7D Time-lapse: Transit of Panama Canal

Really neat! If you haven't, read David McCullough's "Pathway to the Seas"…fantastic book about the building of the canal.

Dec 13, 2011 at 01:00 PM
Jeff
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · 7D Time-lapse: Transit of Panama Canal

Glad you all enjoyed! Finally back home now after four months, and have a decent internet connection to catch up.

Bones74 wrote:
Great work Jeff! Just so you know and not trying to be a smart ass or podantic, but you have labelled the video : Transit of the Panama Canal December 17, 2011.

I caught that only yesterday; funny. The internet on the ship was so marginal that I was just happy to have gotten it uploaded before the trip ended.

kakomu wrote:
My recommendation would be to increase the frame rate. Currently the movie is running at 8 fps (Actually 24fps, but with each frame is repeated twice). The video looks very choppy and I think it would benefit from an increase in temporal resolution.

If you know how to do that in the current version of iMovie, I'm all ears. In the limited time I had to compile the images, all I could figure out was to set each image to 0.1 second, the least it would allow me to choose. Thanks for the suggestion.

Dec 20, 2011 at 05:37 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password