Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

  

Archive 2011 · 7D Time-lapse: Transit of Panama Canal
  
 
Jeff
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · 7D Time-lapse: Transit of Panama Canal


Although I don't have a single picture from the MV Explorer's transit of the Panama Canal on 12/7/11, I've got something even better: 2,315 images strung into a time-lapse of nearly five hours of the eight hour process. I used a tripod-mounted Canon 7D and EF-S 10-22 lens, and shot at 10-second intervals. If you're interested in seeing it, check out the blog:

http://jeffwarnerphoto.blogspot.com/2011/12/12711-transit-of-panama-canal.html

Enjoy the images!

-Jeff



Dec 10, 2011 at 02:27 AM
stanj
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · 7D Time-lapse: Transit of Panama Canal


Nice! Looks like an awesome journey.


Dec 10, 2011 at 02:53 AM
Sarsfield
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · 7D Time-lapse: Transit of Panama Canal


Jeff, very cool. Any reason why you didn't encode at 720P or 1080P? Just wondering how it would look in high def.


Dec 10, 2011 at 03:09 AM
Jeff
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · 7D Time-lapse: Transit of Panama Canal


It's been an amazing journey.

The internet connection on the ship leaves a lot to be desired, and 25MB was a stretch to upload (took more than an hour). This was shot in medium raw, and reduced to 1920x1080 in Lightroom, then compiled via iMovie (wow, what a POS program these days!) over the course of 13 hours on a MBP.



Dec 10, 2011 at 04:19 AM
duffguy808
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · 7D Time-lapse: Transit of Panama Canal


Jeff wrote:
Although I don't have a single picture from the MV Explorer's transit of the Panama Canal on 12/7/11, I've got something even better: 2,315 images strung into a time-lapse of nearly five hours of the eight hour process. I used a tripod-mounted Canon 7D and EF-S 10-22 lens, and shot at 10-second intervals. If you're interested in seeing it, check out the blog:

http://jeffwarnerphoto.blogspot.com/2011/12/12711-transit-of-panama-canal.html

Enjoy the images!

-Jeff



You sir are awesome!

Can I asked you what software did you use to do this? I've taken a bunch of pictures in 5 second interval and would love to turn them into time-lapse video like you.

Thanks in advance



Dec 10, 2011 at 04:28 AM
satoru
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · 7D Time-lapse: Transit of Panama Canal


Awesome work!!!

Thanks for sharing



Dec 10, 2011 at 06:58 AM
Mubeen
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · 7D Time-lapse: Transit of Panama Canal


Awesome shoot


Dec 10, 2011 at 07:19 AM
Jeff
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · 7D Time-lapse: Transit of Panama Canal


Glad you all enjoyed!

duffguy808 wrote:
You sir are awesome!

Can I asked you what software did you use to do this? I've taken a bunch of pictures in 5 second interval and would love to turn them into time-lapse video like you.

Thanks in advance


Duff, it looks like you may have posted right after I did, but I used Lightroom to output to 1080 format, then struggled with iMovie to get it put together. That new version of iMovie is one of the least user-friendly pieces of software I've used; I just don't understand why Apple has done this to their video market. The previous versions I could just 'use', this one I had to 'figure out'.

Anyway, I was happy with the first attempt at this, but it certainly is a bit of work. The HD Hero camera probably would have made the process much easier.

Best,

Jeff



Dec 10, 2011 at 10:16 PM
Richie S
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · 7D Time-lapse: Transit of Panama Canal


Loved this. Very well done.


Dec 11, 2011 at 12:58 AM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



_Rob_S_
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · 7D Time-lapse: Transit of Panama Canal


Wow, crazy fantastic Jeff! Amazing on so many levels. Thanks for creating and posting.

Rob



Dec 11, 2011 at 01:15 AM
C Parish
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · 7D Time-lapse: Transit of Panama Canal


Nicely done!

Wich I could have made it full screen, but maybe next time!

Cheers



Dec 11, 2011 at 01:15 AM
Bob Sumitro
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · 7D Time-lapse: Transit of Panama Canal


That's awesome Jeff, I really enjoy watching it.
Bob



Dec 11, 2011 at 02:23 AM
Pixel Perfect
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · 7D Time-lapse: Transit of Panama Canal


Fantastic work Jeff. Never really seen much of the Panama canal so highly entertaining.


Dec 11, 2011 at 11:30 PM
Gunzorro
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · 7D Time-lapse: Transit of Panama Canal


Amazing! Thanks so much!


Dec 12, 2011 at 12:35 AM
Bones74
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #15 · 7D Time-lapse: Transit of Panama Canal


Great work Jeff! Just so you know and not trying to be a smart ass or podantic, but you have labelled the video : Transit of the Panama Canal December 17, 2011.




Dec 12, 2011 at 02:55 PM
kakomu
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #16 · 7D Time-lapse: Transit of Panama Canal


My recommendation would be to increase the frame rate. Currently the movie is running at 8 fps (Actually 24fps, but with each frame is repeated twice). The video looks very choppy and I think it would benefit from an increase in temporal resolution.


Dec 12, 2011 at 03:19 PM
janmcn
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #17 · 7D Time-lapse: Transit of Panama Canal


Really neat! If you haven't, read David McCullough's "Pathway to the Seas"…fantastic book about the building of the canal.



Dec 13, 2011 at 01:00 PM
Jeff
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #18 · 7D Time-lapse: Transit of Panama Canal


Glad you all enjoyed! Finally back home now after four months, and have a decent internet connection to catch up.

Bones74 wrote:
Great work Jeff! Just so you know and not trying to be a smart ass or podantic, but you have labelled the video : Transit of the Panama Canal December 17, 2011.



I caught that only yesterday; funny. The internet on the ship was so marginal that I was just happy to have gotten it uploaded before the trip ended.

kakomu wrote:
My recommendation would be to increase the frame rate. Currently the movie is running at 8 fps (Actually 24fps, but with each frame is repeated twice). The video looks very choppy and I think it would benefit from an increase in temporal resolution.


If you know how to do that in the current version of iMovie, I'm all ears. In the limited time I had to compile the images, all I could figure out was to set each image to 0.1 second, the least it would allow me to choose. Thanks for the suggestion.



Dec 20, 2011 at 05:37 AM





FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password