Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Downloading software via internet and/or CD/DVD?

Methodical
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Downloading software via internet and/or CD/DVD?

I have a question. How can I ensure that when I download things from the net or from a CD/DVD it gives me the option to choose which drive to download too? Is there a setting in windows that I must change, enable, tweak?

Here's my observation, when I downloaded Bitdefender, it did not give me an option to choose which drive to download to, it just had two options; run or cancel and it showed which drive the software would be installed. I clicked run and it automatically downloaded to the C: (main drive), but I wanted to download it to another drive. In contrast, when I downloaded the Batman game (man these games space hungry) from the website, I got the option, via the download window (browse option) and I was able to install the program on my other drive (E: ). It seems that some programs give you the option to choose which drive and others don't, so is there a setting in Windows that I must tweak to ensure that all downloads give me the option to choose which drive to install the program(s)?

Thanks...Al

Dec 09, 2011 at 02:28 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Downloading software via internet and/or CD/DVD?

Methodical wrote:
I have a question. How can I ensure that when I download things from the net or from a CD/DVD it gives me the option to choose which drive to download too? Is there a setting in windows that I must change, enable, tweak?

Here's my observation, when I downloaded Bitdefender, it did not give me an option to choose which drive to download to, it just had two options; run or cancel and it showed which drive the software would be installed. I clicked run and it automatically downloaded to the C: (main drive), but I wanted to download it
...Show more

When downloading the install file itself, it depends on browser settings and they should always have way to set where to store the install file. When installing, often you need to select something like expert or advanced level install option and then you can usually select what directory to install too. There might be a few that simply chose for you no matter what. There may be some way to set windows default install directory though, I'd try searching google for that.

Dec 09, 2011 at 07:18 PM
James_N
• • •
p.1 #3 · Downloading software via internet and/or CD/DVD?

Pressing CTRL+J in your browser will usually open the Downloads window and show you the location to which the file(s) was downloaded. In all likelihood it was downloaded to a Temp folder if you didn't give specific instructions to save to a location.

Dec 09, 2011 at 08:31 PM
Methodical
• • •
p.1 #4 · Downloading software via internet and/or CD/DVD?

Thanks. I am going to explore this a bit. I just built this computer and using Windows 7 for the first time, so I will explore it a bit. I know on my old system (still currently using), the downloads give me an option to run or save and I'd save then install, but I did not get that option with Bitdefender this time with the new system, so it's probably a setting somewhere that has to be changed. Usually, I get the install wizard which gives me the option of where to install the software.

Al

Dec 09, 2011 at 08:47 PM
James_N
• • •
p.1 #5 · Downloading software via internet and/or CD/DVD?

Some software like Adobe Flash and Shockwave don't actually download the complete installation files to your computer. Instead they just give a small file, and depending on the options chosen from that file, will then directly install the application to your computer. Perhaps BitDefender is using the same process.

BTW, I can't image why you'd use BitDefender; Windows 7 comes with an excellent firewall and antivirus called Microsoft Security Essentials that is updated several times a day. It integrates perfectly into the operating system and uses little of your system resources. Prior to installing Windows 7 I used Agnitum Outpost Firewall Pro and ESET NOD 32 anti-virus; both considered best in their respective classes. Since Windows 7 I ditched them both and used the free software from Microsoft.

Dec 09, 2011 at 09:18 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Methodical
• • •
p.1 #6 · Downloading software via internet and/or CD/DVD?

James, I will have to check this out. I really like Bitdefender as it protected me with 2 kids for about 5 years now and my son has downloaded lots of crap. That's one of the reasons, I built me a new system.

Thanks

Dec 09, 2011 at 09:36 PM
TrojanHorse
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Downloading software via internet and/or CD/DVD?

It's a browser setting. You don't mention which browser you're using though.

Dec 12, 2011 at 05:54 PM
Methodical
• • •
p.1 #8 · Downloading software via internet and/or CD/DVD?

I found the settings for Firefox and Google Chrome.

Thanks everyone

Dec 12, 2011 at 11:59 PM
AndyKellett
• • •
p.1 #9 · Downloading software via internet and/or CD/DVD?

Methodical> I really like Bitdefender as it protected me with 2 kids for about 5 years now and my son has downloaded lots of crap.

You might want to give the kids their own logins ... with almost no authority to do anything on the system. That way if they do get bit by malware, it won't have administrator privileges and thereby limit the damage.
Best,
Andy

Dec 13, 2011 at 04:38 PM
Methodical
• • •
p.1 #10 · Downloading software via internet and/or CD/DVD?

No one has access to my build, except me. They have their own computer now, but I will set up user accounts, to limit where my daughter goes - she's only 10, my son is 22.

Thanks

AndyKellett wrote:
Methodical> I really like Bitdefender as it protected me with 2 kids for about 5 years now and my son has downloaded lots of crap.

You might want to give the kids their own logins ... with almost no authority to do anything on the system. That way if they do get bit by malware, it won't have administrator privileges and thereby limit the damage.
Best,
Andy

Dec 13, 2011 at 11:27 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password