Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · advice re:dogsled trip

dickdoc

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · advice re:dogsled trip

going on 6-day hut-to-hut dogsled trip in sweden, above arctic circle, in feb. cold, very cold. this is personal trip, not a gig.

considering: either 7D or Mk IIn; 24-27 2.8L; 70-200 2.8L; 3 batteries, 1 charger; 3-4 flash cards; 2 ND filters, 1 polarizer; gorilla mini tripod. size and weight considerable limiting factor. will be following immediately to caribbean for diving, tho will use local rental gear there.

first time for me under these conditions; any and all advice is welcomed!

thanks,

rich

Dec 09, 2011 at 08:15 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · advice re:dogsled trip

Taking pictures in the cold is all about keeping the batteries warm, having access to the shutter with frozen fingers, avoiding breathing so that it fogs and freezes up the lens, and not getting frostbight on your nose because you are looking through your viewfinder your nose touchs the screen.

Bring even more batteries. Bring gloves that work in mitts. Bring something for covering your nose. Bring more cards - they don't weigh much. And why ration yourself.

I would bring 7d. I use it in the cold and have not had any trouble. I would consider bringing a spare body. They don't weigh much. I would bring my 5dii because it shares batteries with 7d but that would change my lens selections.

70-200 2.8 LIS is good. If I were going to add something to this I would bring a 1.4x. I have used this combination in a pinch and it is good. Personally though, I would be inclined to leave it behind and bring the 100-400 for reach. 100-400 is lighter and longer and likely most of shots will be in the day time, and avoids fiddling with 1.4. Tough choice, IQ on 100-400 is better than IQ on 70-200 with 1.4x, but 2.8 is useful. But I would go 100-400.

24-70 is a bit long on 7d with no IS. 17-55 2.8 IS would permit getting the northern lights and more low light shots than 24-70. I think I would change this plan. You will miss lots of shots on 7d close up with 24. And the IS will be helpful. If I brought the 5dii as backup body, I would bring a 24-105 and use the 7d for backup.

Try to find room for a better tripod. You wil have lots of difficulty with northern lights etc with a gorrila pod.

Thats my thoughts. Have fun.

Dec 09, 2011 at 03:50 PM
dickdoc

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · advice re:dogsled trip

thanks, scott...very helpful. i've thought about how cold is hell on batteries, and will probably bring 6, plus more flash cards. lens suggestions are well-placed; my selections are limited, tho can probably borrow from a friend-pro.

again, thanks for the very thoughtful considerations, from fotos to frost...

rich

Dec 10, 2011 at 01:45 AM
reko
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · advice re:dogsled trip

About clothing: Keeping your head warm goes a long way to keeping all of you warm. Get a hat with insulation that covers your ears and has a bill to shade your eyes from the sun. A neck gaiter also. If it's brutally cold and exposed skin is a concern a full face fleece headmask and a hat with bill to go over it. You'll want boots with at least 1600 grams of thinsulate if it's substantially below freezing. Some like pack boots but they aren't very good for walking. Heavily insulated gloves that will go over very light gloves for when you're shooting work well. An alternative is mittens with a fold down opening for your fingertips. Many options for your body, snowmobile suit. Long underwear followed by any number of mid-layers and topped with goose down outer upper layer and possibly thinsulate pants. Insulated bibs and goose down for your outer layer. One piece insulated coveralls for your outer layer. Enjoy your trip!

Dec 10, 2011 at 12:45 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

dickdoc

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · advice re:dogsled trip

very helpful ideas...learning so much in just the last few days, esp. clothing tips. this was very instructive, and will take your advice. meeting on 12/23 with a photographer just back from 3.5 weeks in antarctica, and expect to get lots of tech and other tips. again, thanks to all for the contributions!

rich

Dec 12, 2011 at 06:49 AM
normsmith
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · advice re:dogsled trip

The only additional advice I would give is bring some of the packets of pocket warmers, the ones that are activated when you open the packet.They are great to put in your pocket along with a battery or two.
Norm

Dec 12, 2011 at 06:21 PM
ChrisHA

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · advice re:dogsled trip

Hey Rich,

I have some cold weather clothing and shooting tips on my blog. Scroll down towards the bottom to the topic - Baby It's Cold Outside (Shooting in Minus 50 Temps for Wimps)

Happy shooting,

Chris
www.wildliferhythms.com
http://chrisprestegardtraveltipcentral.blogspot.com/

Dec 18, 2011 at 11:42 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password