Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Monitor with factory set color calibration

BluesWest
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Monitor with factory set color calibration

I'm in the market for a new monitor for photo editing and I'm seeing a few products that claim to have "factory set color calibration". It was my impression that, for the best photo editing results, a user should calibrate their monitor regularly (at least every few months), since the color calibration drifts with time. If that is the case, is there any point in paying extra for a monitor which is factory calibrated?

Thanks,

John

Dec 09, 2011 at 05:53 AM
swoop
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Monitor with factory set color calibration

Nope. It changes with lighting conditions, varies based on your computers settings. I thing anything advertising factory calibration is kind of crap unless it's an all in one or laptop. Even then it's not going to be 100% accurate.

Dec 09, 2011 at 06:01 AM
mikek200
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Monitor with factory set color calibration

Bluewest,

If you really wantt o get serious about editing photographs,the first step is to get a descent quality monitor.
I recommend NEC,with the SpectraViewII software.
Even out of the box,the monitor looked good,with the factory settings.
After I calibrated it,I'm getting almost a perfect match...monitor to printer.

The NEC monitor are not inexpensive,but they are quality monitors.
Do a search on Luminous-Landscape,and this forum as well,you'll find very few negative comments on NEC.

Mike

Dec 09, 2011 at 11:09 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

BluesWest
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Monitor with factory set color calibration

Thanks to both of you for the feedback. Swoop, your comments support what I was thinking, so I won't pay extra for the "factory calibration" feature. Mike, I would love to get one of the excellent NEC monitors, but my budget won't stretch that far right now. So, I'm probably going to buy one of the mid-level IPS monitors from Dell or HP.

John

Dec 09, 2011 at 05:13 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Monitor with factory set color calibration

BluesWest wrote:
Thanks to both of you for the feedback. Swoop, your comments support what I was thinking, so I won't pay extra for the "factory calibration" feature. Mike, I would love to get one of the excellent NEC monitors, but my budget won't stretch that far right now. So, I'm probably going to buy one of the mid-level IPS monitors from Dell or HP.

John

Make sure you get the correct probe to handle wide gamut if you go with those brands and get a wide gamut. And make sure the HP has even a half-way acceptable sRGB emulation mode (unless this will be 100% strictly for photos and you are willing to live without using IE, if you want to watch movies, tv, games and such then sRGB mode is pretty key), I don't think any of their older wide gamuts did although perhaps some new ones do.

I've been hearing good words about hte ASUS246, better words than about the Dells and HP.
So if oyu don't want to get NEC PA241 price the ASUS is one to look into for sure.

Dec 09, 2011 at 07:13 PM
ltlouis96
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Monitor with factory set color calibration

B&H have the PA241W monitor on sale for $779. With out the software

Dec 10, 2011 at 01:16 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password